Geoff Keighley confirms Wii U won

put impact plastic on top of the glass to prevent it from breaking, and it it breaks it won't have sharp edges (ref Sony phones). as for weight, plexiglass(plastic) could weight more than glass, especially quality one. and plastic scratches.

and I have a million and one laptops and old phones coming in for price requests with broken "screens" showing it's easy enough to break the screen without any noticeable damage to the outside on a plastic screen. the glass helps protect the screen, and can be perfectly fine for impact protection with the right measures. and weight is a non issue. But Nintendo has good experience working with plastic screens so. It's not a matter I care much about, but it should have been capacitive.

Your old PDA's using old resistive teach screens? Tell me, when was the last time you ever saw anyone have to recalibrate their DS or 3DS, something with a more recent resistive touch screen? They don't have to be recalibrated unless they've been physically changed. You calibrate a resistive screen to choose where on the resistive layer matches upto where on the LCD. Unless your device is either poorly coded and decides it wants to change those values itself, or you physically move where over the LCD panel the resistive layer is placed, those points are never going to change during device usage. Ergo, especially with the resistive screens we have today, the calibration done in factory is all that's ever needed.

Everything you're saying about the layers not moving was true of the resistive screen devices I had. It never moved, they still required calibration. There's no saying whether the 3DS or DS might actually require it and Nintendo has just made the software permissive about where you have to press for the input.

A Nexus 7 has a capacitive screen - and a panel of glass is still going to weight more than two plastic films. If you drop a controller, the inner LCD panel is less likely to shatter than glass - moreso because that has it's own protective layer coating underneath the two plastic resistive layers on top of it, which do a nice job of absorbing impact. Worse, if the glass breaks when a kid is playing with it, there's going to be angry parents about :p

No, they don't do a nice job, it's actually fairly easy to break the LCD panel even with just sustained force, it doesn't have to be impact.

As long as they work for more than 1 year without breaking.

After 2 XBox 360 (RRoD and HDMI port) i simply gave up on it. Next gen i'm waiting at least 1 year to see if it's reliable enough.

My launch day Wii still runs like a champ (and it's the most used console in my house....make that the only console I've used in the past year). I ended up selling my launch day 360 to a friend but it ended up dying on him a few months later