Girl's photo of cash on Facebook sparks terrifying armed raid

Police today warned of the dangers of social media, after the 17-year-old?s family was confronted by two knife-weilding men, who demanded who see the money.

The girl was helping her 72-year-old grandmother count her personal savings at a residence in Sydney, last Thursday.

Whilst counting the money the girl took a photograph of the large sum of cash and posted it on her Facebook page.

That night, police said two men armed with a knife and a wooden club stormed into the girl?s family?s Southern Highlands home and demanded to know about the cash.

The girl?s mother told the two intruders that her daughter was not home and she didn?t live at that address anymore.

The men searched the house and took a small amount of cash and other personal property before leaving the house.

No one was injured during the incident.

Police said the frightening incident was a reminder of the dangers of posting personal information on any form of social media.

The men were wearing dark-coloured clothing, gloves and had their faces covered.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Bowral Police Station on 48629299 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Source

how the hell did they know where she lived? they had to of known her?

Whilst counting the money the girl took a photograph of the large sum of cash and posted it on her Facebook page.

Let's assume that someone stupid enough to post that photo is also stupid enough to post their full address on their info, and not set their privacy settings!

A few lessons here:

NEVER share your location with anyone on Facebook

NEVER post pictures of large amounts of money that you have

Don't leave your Facebook profile open

Some people simply have no common sense :/

A few lessons here:

Oh please.

1. Done that, still alive.

2. Done that, still alive and haven't been robbed at knife point.

3. Done that, no friends so no one does anything to my Facebook anyway XD

But, really, that's so not true. You can take a family photo with a 50" TV in the background, what's the difference between that and a large amount of cash ? It's not like the thieves think about it logically, they'll steal the TV just as easy as they would steal cash.

What then ? Don't take pics at all ? Don't share anything ? Hide your name, use aliases ? Just delete your Facebook account and wear a tinfoil hat and be done with it.

A few lessons here:

This "common sense" has been around for generations before the likes of Facebook.

It's always been taught to not tell strangers where you live and to not reveal your personal finances yet somehow, idiots these days seem to forget that Facebook requires the same level of responsibility.

This "common sense" has been around for generations before the likes of Facebook.

It's always been taught to not tell strangers where you live and to not reveal your personal finances yet somehow, idiots these days seem to forget that Facebook requires the same level of responsibility.

Hopefully, your "friends" on Facebook aren't strangers.

Hopefully, your "friends" on Facebook aren't strangers.

Well, mine aren't strangers, but some stupid girl's surely are.

only 2 friends know my address and its been that way for years I dont have a friend within 13 miles of my house most friends are atleast 100 miles away and get driven to my house by me or i go to them... they cannot find there way to my house and thts how i like it

the biggest problem is so many people on facebook add friends just for gaming purposes and never change their settings to hide things from those "gaming friends"