Apple's WWDC 2012 event

Speaking of making things look unified:

Tasty.

Definitely one of the better concept videos.

@keynote start:

It's taking place on Monday.

To be precise:

"4 Days 18 Hours 57 Minutes Until WWDC 2012 Keynote"

Check http://www.macrumors.com/ for a countdown.

Glassed Silver:mac

I wish Apple would bring all iOS apps to the iPad. I just don't understand why the iPad is missing something as basic as the Clock app and all its features, especially the alarm. :/

I wish Apple would bring all iOS apps to the iPad. I just don't understand why the iPad is missing something as basic as the Clock app and all its features, especially the alarm. :/

Agreed, there are rumours that Apple are enhancing the stock iOS apps, hopefully they'll be included on the iPad as part of iOS 6. Otherwise, Belfry is the only alternative.

Well, we're on the fifth major version of iOS at the moment and I've yet to see anything to complain about. That said some of the things in that concept video are pretty freaking amazing!

UI Tweaks and Functionality enhancements are nice, but I want to see a 'Snow Leopard' for both iOS 6 and Mountain Lion. I want to see everything dramatically improved in responsiveness and size.

And I'd love to see Facebook banned from the AppStore for being such a terrible app..... :p

"Now Safari is a very interesting app, it is both supportive in the portrait orientation and landscape orientation."

Yes, I immediately see how that makes things highly interesting!

We do need a Dictionary app since the beginning though ? there?s one in OS X since forever, it wouldn?t be hard to port it on iOS for both iPhones, iPads and iPods.

It's sad Apple never expanded Dictionary to include additional languages. I kinda expected French, German, Spanish, Dutch, etc. to be included at some point as well.

.Neo, I could not agree more. Since I am on the Mac, I have been hoping for additional localizations every time I heard a new OS X were to be released. Plus it?s something that you can almost copy-paste into iOS and while it?s not a selling point in itself, it?s a very nice and practical feature that pushes knowledge to users instead of them having to do the search and find the right definition. Dictionary.app is fabulous in that sense, when you see a word you?re unsure of, you?re no more than 4 clicks away from the definition of any English word, no keyboard involved.

Meanwhile, I tricked my Dictionary.app to include French, but I think I included a dictionary made in France, sometimes the definitions are completely random and the examples are completely off, sometimes they?re way too long, and the formatting is way too different from Apple?s original Dictionary (i.e. everything?s bold and I don?t have the phonetical pronunciations).

Dictionary.app is fabulous in that sense, when you see a word you?re unsure of, you?re no more than 4 clicks away from the definition of any English word, no keyboard involved.

I just look things up with by double-tapping with three fingers on my trackpad. Couldn't be faster! (Y)

post-128385-0-85569200-1339153656_thumb.

Approved Mac OS app boasts 'Retina graphics'

appstoreretinagraphicshjt.jpg

As if there wasn't enough speculation already, what with WWDC just around the corner, bets are already being placed on the possibility of "Retina Display" Macs. So, when an app turns up in Mac App store mentioning "Retina graphics" under the new features list, eyebrows are understandably going to rise. Of course, this isn't the first such tease we've seen, but it's not the least convincing either. So, we're still not ready to put our money down on a retina-reveal next week just yet, but those odds do seem to be getting ever shorter.

So, when an app turns up in Mac App store mentioning "Retina graphics" under the new features list, eyebrows are understandably going to rise.

People please, let's not go crazy because this means absolutely nothing. Developers like Panic have been including vectorized and/or x2 images with their apps for a while now. It doesn't say anything about Apple actually releasing hardware that requires updates artwork. It just means these developers take into account the possibility the company might release such hardware.

Agree. And I don't think anyone is going crazy over it, but its just something to read until the WWDC starts.

It wasn't meant so literally. :p

The 10.8 preview has high resolution icons too, so it can't be too surprising developers are adding them in. As .Neo noted, Panic started doing it a while ago.

It's a foregone conclusion that they will up resolutions eventually, it's just unlikely that it's at this WWDC.

Apple to Introduce Third MacBook Line with Retina Display at WWDC?

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo today issued a new report outlining his belief that Apple's thinner, Retina-equipped Mac notebook will arrive next week as a new model, referring to the machine simply as a "MacBook". Kuo believes that this MacBook will be offered alongside upgraded versions of the existing 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro models, with Apple being reluctant to do away with the current 13-inch design in particular due to its massive popularity.

We expect Apple (US) to unveil a new MacBook series independent from the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro lines at Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in June. We expect the new MacBook to have the following features:

(1) Basic 13? model to be priced at US$1,199

(2) No disc drive

(3) To come in both SSD and HDD

(4) Lighter and slimmer than MacBook Pro, with equal computing power

(5) Retinal display with tapered edge, larger battery capacity

Kuo also reiterates his earlier claims that Apple will discontinue the 17-inch MacBook Pro this year, citing estimates that the model makes up only 1% of Apple's notebook sales.

The introduction of this new "MacBook" model would leave Apple with a lineup of six notebooks, although Kuo predicts that issues with display yield and heat dissipation will push the release of the 13-inch MacBook back until August, leaving only the 15-inch model to make its debut next week.

kuo_2012_notebook_lineup.jpg

Read more

IMO, I don't think Apple will do this. If anything, I think they are merging the Pro and Air in the near future.

Yeah. I think as of Monday the notebook line will include an 11" Air, a 13" Air, a 15" redesigned Pro, and maybe they'll keep selling the current 17" for a few months like the last time there was a redesign.

The 13" Macbook Pro might live on as an education-only model.

The leaked pricing and model numbers seem to suggest that the 13" Air is going to see a price drop to $1199, exactly the same slot that the current 13" MBP occupies.

IMO, I don't think Apple will do this. If anything, I think they are merging the Pro and Air in the near future.

Yeah, there will always be two trims of Macbook, and I think the next divider will be retina. MBPs get retina, MBP Airs (or regulars) don't. That is feasible for next week, especially if they kill the 17''. It's not unfathomable that Apple has a supply of 13'' and 15'' retina displays.

Apple Reportedly Set to Open Up Apple TV to Third-Party Developers at WWDC

Following up on its report from last week claiming that Apple will show off the operating system for its future television set product at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference, BGRnow briefly reports that Apple will be using the event to introduce a new software development kit (SDK) to allow third-party developers to build apps for the Apple TV.

We have heard from a trusted source that Apple will be introducing a TV SDK at WWDC next week. This would enable third-party developers to create software for Apple?s TV products.

The report reveals no other details on Apple plans, but we do note that Steve Jobs himself admitted just as the revised Apple TV was launching in September 2010 that the company could open an App Store for the Apple TV "when the time is right".

With rumors of an Apple television set continuing to build, Apple may now consider the time right to begin allowing developers to build apps for the existing Apple TV set-top box ahead of the company's larger entry into the market.

PS: About time if true.