Salty watermelon Pepsi is an actual thing

615x330_original.jpg?m=1338287486

As you might already be aware, a Japanese supermarket is a thrilling and terrifying place to be.

Showcasing flavors that the Western world wouldn't dare go near, it's an experience that could easily turn into either heaven or hell. Having tried wasabi Kit Kats, we can attest to the latter part of this statement.

This summer, Pepsi Japan is taking this inventive streak to the limit with a daring new flavor. "Salty Watermelon" is capitalizing on a bizarre trend in Japan where people are known to sprinkle salt on watermelon to bring out the taste.

Pepsi Japan are known for their strange ideas. In the past they've released Pepsi White, which was infused with yoghurt, Pepsi Pink, which had a strawberry milk flavor and a rather disgustingly self-explanatory "Ice Cucumber" variation.

Would you be tempted to try Salty Watermelon Pepsi?

Source

I can understand Watermelon flavour, but why Salty?

"Salty Watermelon" is capitalizing on a bizarre trend in Japan where people are known to sprinkle salt on watermelon to bring out the taste.

"Salty Watermelon" is capitalizing on a bizarre trend in Japan where people are known to sprinkle salt on watermelon to bring out the taste.

Still does not answer why lol

I can understand Watermelon flavour, but why Salty?

ummmm i have heard people in other countries like the US do this too.

Yes it is very popular in the southern US, though for the life of me I don't know why. I tried it once and thought it was disgusting. Why ruin a delicious sweet watermelon with brine? They say it's to bring out the flavor but all I could taste was the salt. A good watermelon doesn't need its flavor brought out anyway.

Yes it is very popular in the southern US, though for the life of me I don't know why. I tried it once and thought it was disgusting. Why ruin a delicious sweet watermelon with brine? They say it's to bring out the flavor but all I could taste was the salt. A good watermelon doesn't need its flavor brought out anyway.

Yeah, I've never heard of this before, but I just can't imagine it being good... :-\

I've placed salt on watermelons as a flavor enhancer myself.

If salt is the only flavor that comes through, then obviously there's too much salt... The point is to enhance not displace.

I just use a pinch spread on a bunch of watermelon cubes, or on a full slice. (And remember a pinch is literally a pinch. A very tiny amount.)

I never knew it was a Southern half of North America thing though. Or is it just a, "bizarre trend in Japan" thing like Navan said. :laugh: . Because I did the same through my Chinese family.

Yes, I have always put salt on watermelon. I don't eat it that often, but when I do, that is how. It is just like cooking...you usually add a pinch of salt to desserts and sometimes even a pinch of sugar in savory dishes.

Midwestern too - very common in Michigan.

Happened a lot in Iowa, USA growing up. And on grapefruits too. For us it had to be sea salt, and of course just a little. I think anyone who says they tried it and all they could taste was the salt mistakenly used table salt, and also far far too much of it.

It's not so much the salt and melon combo. (I had to try it yesterday just out of curiosity, it's actually not bad.) It's putting it into a soda. I mean, I love a good porterhouse with garlic butter.. but I wouldn't want to drink a cold glass of it.

Still does not answer why lol

For the same reason people put salt on or in chocolate, it enhances the sweet flavor of it without adding more sugar. And yes, this is something that pretty much everyone I know in the south does with watermelon. I'm actually surprised that some moronic reporter is so ****ing clueless as to assume that it is some "bizarre trend" from Japan. Wait, no I'm not surprised at all. The media seems to be full of idiot reporters these days who don't know the first thing about any part of the country outside of their own neighborhood (or city, if they are lucky).

For the same reason people put salt on or in chocolate, it enhances the sweet flavor of it without adding more sugar. And yes, this is something that pretty much everyone I know in the south does with watermelon. I'm actually surprised that some moronic reporter is so ****ing clueless as to assume that it is some "bizarre trend" from Japan. Wait, no I'm not surprised at all. The media seems to be full of idiot reporters these days who don't know the first thing about any part of the country outside of their own neighborhood (or city, if they are lucky).

Did you just say salt , on chocolate...

Whoever put the salt on it for you overdid it then if you even tasted the salt. However, do it right and it tastes amazing. Take a bite of plain watermelon and CORRECTLY salted watermelon and the flavor is like night and day. Salt brings out the sweetness in just about anything, including candy and chocolate.