Are these parts of the 2012 iPhone?

Are these parts of the 2012 iPhone?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Are these parts real or fake?

Is this the back and sides of the new iPhone?

The iPhone repair experts at iFixyouri have forwarded a nifty new part that entered their catalog. It could be the back plate for the upcoming new iPhone or one of the early prototypes. We are told the Chinese parts supplier is a reliable one (not a fly-by-night) and that they are actually selling these parts (do not worry, we have one on order).

From what we can see, the part does follow a lot of the rumors and speculation. For instance, you can see the smaller dock connector at the bottom and it appears thinner overall. We are told the extra space on the bottom is used by Apple to enhance the speakers that will be louder and of a higher quality than the current iPhone. The supplier said the back plate is just one piece anchored by an aluminium alloy (not liquidmetal).

Interestingly, the supplier also told iFixyouri that black and white would not be the only two colors this year. There were at least two other colors seen for the back plate that obviously might not make it into production if these parts are indeed real. Normally, we would scoff at such a notion, but these same parts suppliers were the first to deliver the news that the iPad would come in white.

Pictures:

9to5macblackandwhite.png?w=657&h=454

forntglass9to5.png?w=657&h=388

white9to5frame.png?w=657&h=411

Source 1: 9to5Mac - Is this the back and sides of the new iPhone?

Source 2: 9to5Mac - Photos: Black and white next-gen metal iPhone backs, mini-dock, taller screen, moved earphone jack present

Nope.

The back is as un-Apple-ish as it gets, the new dock connector I don't really believe in, but who knows.

Apple is always in for some surprises.

However, the back alone makes this an obvious fake.

Glassed Silver:mac

I don't think this is the new iPhone. If anything it is a prototype shell they are using just to test some ideas I doubt this is actually the product that we will see unveiled.

It's probably real.

The same was said about the iPhone 4 leaks, ugly, then it turns out not so bad when it's official.

I don't think this is the new iPhone. If anything it is a prototype shell they are using just to test some ideas I doubt this is actually the product that we will see unveiled.

This wouldn't even be created as concept I think.

If anything it's a trap to distract the rumor sites, something that Apple loves to do.

That is why I said "if anything".

Notice I lowered your possibility? :)

Doubtful that the final product will look like that. It's butt ugly and very un-apple like in appearance.

no?

As in you claimed it could (by slightest of chances) be a prototype to test something.

I lowered that to the level or purely testing engineers to throw them into a fake product design team.

Nope.

The back is as un-Apple-ish as it gets, the new dock connector I don't really believe in, but who knows.

Apple is always in for some surprises.

However, the back alone makes this an obvious fake.

Good catch on the dock connector. That would seem rather bizarre (Though now that I'm thinking about it, didn't Apple sign on with the USB consortiom {Or whatever it was} to move to USB for the iPhone as well?)... I remember thinking that was bizarre back then, but who knows.

Good catch on the dock connector. That would seem rather bizarre (Though now that I'm thinking about it, didn't Apple sign on with the USB consortiom {Or whatever it was} to move to USB for the iPhone as well?)... I remember thinking that was bizarre back then, but who knows.

Well that wouldn't make business sense, now, would it. How could they charge you $40 for a charger if you could get one from someone else that did the same job for $5?

They did and by the shape and size that would be a MicroUSB connection to replace the standard dock connecter as they promised they would eventually do...

Other than that, well we'll see when it hits if this is the real look.

Well that wouldn't make business sense, now, would it. How could they charge you $40 for a charger if you could get one from someone else that did the same job for $5?

Some people would probably still buy the official Apple ones if they plaster the logo on it. You can buy knock-off cables for the current ones for $0.99 from China, so it wouldn't be too different if they change the cable.

For the amount of parts being leaked, I believe it is the final design, or damn close to it. As far as I know, the prototypes were in disguised hardware... this does bear a ressemblence to the iPhone 4/S so can't see it being that either.

And isn't the current dock connector now a limititation of the iPhone and (in particular) iPad? It doesn't allow for higher currents to facilitate quicker charging so it was in line to be replaced.

They did and by the shape and size that would be a MicroUSB connection to replace the standard dock connecter as they promised they would eventually do...

Other than that, well we'll see when it hits if this is the real look.

Thanks, I thought I remembered that, but wasn't 100%. It sure would be nice, all the other OEM's seem to have moved away from proprietary plugs (Yay!), so it's about time for Apple.

For a European release all phones announced during 2012 or later must have a Micro-USB connector. I'm not sure just putting a conversion piece thingy in the box is good enough.

I personally believe it could be real.

Doubtful that the final product will look like that. It's butt ugly and very un-apple like in appearance.

What's un-Apple like about the back? (besides lack of regulatory signs/logos on the white)

Didn't the first iPhone have a two-tone back?

For a European release all phones announced during 2012 or later must have a Micro-USB connector.

Can you show me a source for that?

I'm not sure just putting a conversion piece thingy in the box is good enough.

It was good enough originally.

In case a mobile phone does not have this (Micro-USB) connector integrated in the device, an Adaptor may be available to ensure compatibility. An "Adaptor" is defined as a device with a Micro-USB receptacle/plug connecting to a specific non Micro-USB connector. An Adaptor can also be a detachable cable.

Source: http://ec.europa.eu/...chargers_en.pdf

Also, as the agreement stipulates that the adaptor only needs to be made available, Apple sells it separately rather than actually including it with devices using their proprietary dock connector.

Some people would probably still buy the official Apple ones if they plaster the logo on it. You can buy knock-off cables for the current ones for $0.99 from China, so it wouldn't be too different if they change the cable.

Yep, I have no doubt that would be true. Still, it would save the more canny consumer a bit of cash!

What's un-Apple like about the back? (besides lack of regulatory signs/logos on the white)

Didn't the first iPhone have a two-tone back?

It's hard for me to put into words, all I can really say is that it looks un-uniform and just... well, ugly. I hate Apple with a passion but I do admit that they tend to make aesthetically pleasing devices. If this truly is the design for the iPhone 5, it's just a big step backwards in my opinion. In simple terms, I think it just looks ugly!

I believe they already got around it by releasing a micro USB adapter (http://store.apple.c...oduct/MD099ZM/A).

Yes, that is the case. And I really don't see Apple ****ing off the huge number of companies that make add-ons that use the dock connector any time soon. There is no logical reason to change it, and a lot of good reasons not to change it (the main one is the fact that it allows for far more types of signals than a simple USB connection/charger).