Are these parts of the 2012 iPhone?

Are these parts of the 2012 iPhone?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Are these parts real or fake?

Didn't the first iPhone have a two-tone back?

Sort of. It had a metal back (in brushed aluminum), but had a small section of black plastic over the area of the antenna. One other point about these pics is the SIM tray. That looks like a standard sized SIM, not the smaller one that Apple has been using on their newer devices, which is a strike against this actually being a new model.

Yea, I call fake based on the smaller dock connector as well. That was my first clue it was fake. Apple would not do this and change its standards making people buy new accessories/cords or adapters to use old cords.

I give this 99.99% chance that it's a real Apple device. It may be a prototype that never gets released as a product, but it's definitely an Apple design.

If you look at the pictures that show the inside of the case you can see that the back plate and the sides form a single machined piece, much like their unibody laptops. That means that the internal frame layer that the iPhone 4 and 4S have could be eliminated to make more room for the battery.

There have been rumors for months about a smaller dock connector on the next iPhone. I agree that it seems like a weird move, but I don't think it's fake.

Remember when the iPhone 4 prototype leaked? People thought it was a fake, that Apple wouldn't ever design something with those black lines in the frame. When the actual finished product was shown and the reason behind the design explained, it made a lot more sense.

Yea, I call fake based on the smaller dock connector as well. That was my first clue it was fake. Apple would not do this and change its standards making people buy new accessories/cords or adapters to use old cords.

Why not? The companies who make adapters and accessories would love the boost to their bottom lines and Apple won't loose any sales since their users are generally fanatics anyway. It will allow them to comply with regulatory requirements globally requiring a unified plug for cellular devices around the world which is also a bonus.

They could always provide an adapter for backwards compatibility if they feel the need to appease the vocal few (but Apple usually ignores those groups)

Why not? The companies who make adapters and accessories would love the boost to their bottom lines and Apple won't loose any sales since their users are generally fanatics anyway. It will allow them to comply with regulatory requirements globally requiring a unified plug for cellular devices around the world which is also a bonus.

They could always provide an adapter for backwards compatibility if they feel the need to appease the vocal few (but Apple usually ignores those groups)

Exactly what I was thinking. Make the new devices USB and then make an adapter to make it compatible with all the old devices. That way Apple will sell loads of adapters.... no-one is going to buy an adapter to just to plug a USB cable in, but loads will buy an adapter to make it work with all their add-on devices.

They managed to invent a new video connector that basically did the same. My friend boasted about the smaller video connector on the laptop... before proceeding to need an adapter to make it work with his old screen & all projectors.

I doubt it would be thunderbolt. That would limit a lot of people.

Not as the sole communication protocol, but one of them. Much like how iPods supported both Firewire and USB for a while. Really though for simple syncing USB 3 would be enough.

pffft

I already have one. A woman in Mumbai just sent me one for helping her out with a banking problem. She had to get $24,000,000 secured funds out of the country & she gave it all to me....and an iPhone 5 - she needs to work on her english - bad grammar

Yeah, agreed. I could definitely see an adapter coming out. This could definitely be real.

I voted real but this is not the iphone 5 IMO. I think its just a prototype device... so It is real. just not the iphone 5.. I hope so!

Taller Next-Generation iPhone Front Panel Caught on Video

Over the past few days, several leaks have surfaced showing an alleged front panel for the next-generation iPhone and a design schematic for what appears to be the same part.

iphone_5_front_panel_macotakara_2.jpg

Japanese blog Macotakara has now gotten its hands on one of those front panel parts andposted photos and a video comparing it to the current iPhone design. As has been shown by leaks so far, the next-generation iPhone would be somewhat taller than the current model, with estimates putting the difference in height at roughly 10 mm.

Roughly in line with the design schematic leaked yesterday, Macotakara measures the display opening at 10.33 cm (4.07 in) diagonally, allowing a 4-inch display as has been rumored to fit within the opening.

iphone_5_front_panel_macotakara_1.jpg

Wouldn't a fake try to be as "apple" as possible?

Yup, and often they fail hard enough.

Glassed Silver:mac

The leaked parts show that the metal band goes all the way to the front and back, but those mockups still have the plastic lip around the glass like on the iPhone 4/4S.

The answer is always NO unless a statement is released by the company. Anything else is just rumors and speculation.

No sh*t really... :laugh:

I thought we were to decide all this, but... we don't you say? :s :/

:p

Glassed Silver:mac

"iPhone 5" Back Cover Hands-On Video

iphone5.png

Cydiablog points to a new hands on video with the same "iPhone 5" parts that have been circulating. The new video was posted by part supply company eTradeSupply.

The new video is not especially more revealing, but does show the backplate in a number of different angles. The narrator also compares it directly to the iPhone 4, showing the relative size. Other features noted:

- Smaller dock port

- Bottom headphone jack

- SIM card slot smaller

- iPhone 5 is thinner than iPhone 4S (though no screen on the iPhone 5)