Evolution Debate Soon Will Be History

Richard Leakey predicts skepticism over evolution will soon be history.

Not that the avowed atheist has any doubts himself.

Sometime in the next 15 to 30 years, the Kenyan-born paleoanthropologist expects scientific discoveries will have accelerated to the point that "even the skeptics can accept it."

"If you get to the stage where you can persuade people on the evidence, that it's solid, that we are all African, that color is superficial, that stages of development of culture are all interactive," Leakey says, "then I think we have a chance of a world that will respond better to global challenges."

Leakey, a professor at Stony Brook University on Long Island, recently spent several weeks in New York promoting the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya. The institute, where Leakey spends most of his time, welcomes researchers and scientists from around the world dedicated to unearthing the origins of mankind in an area rich with fossils.

<SNIP>

"If you look back, the thing that strikes you, if you've got any sensitivity, is that extinction is the most common phenomena," Leakey says. "Extinction is always driven by environmental change. Environmental change is always driven by climate change. Man accelerated, if not created, planet change phenomena; I think we have to recognize that the future is by no means a very rosy one."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/27/richard-leakey-evolution-debate_n_1548766.html

Evolution is a scientific fact. No amount of quoting scripture and being generally anti intellectual will make it less of a fact. And the sooner society as a whole can accept science and learn to stop fighting it we can move on.

If we evolved from monkeys then why do we still have monkeys? :rofl:

You know, I never thought of that. Creationism seems so plausible now. :)

I do like the highlighted above as I think that extinction was the first major crack for me in the theory of a clockwork universe.

Evolution is a scientific fact. No amount of quoting scripture and being generally anti intellectual will make it less of a fact. And the sooner society as a whole can accept science and learn to stop fighting it we can move on.

nice opinion

I don't know you are serious or joking, but im still going to answer.

"Monkeys and humans share same ancestor, human doesn't evolved from monkeys".

Evolution? Believing in a well understood scientific process is silly. A magical invisible wizard who lives in the sky created the entire universe, we know this because a thousand years ago some primitive desert people wrote about him in a book. That proves it is true.

First mistake, it is still just a theory. It maybe an interesting and complex theory, and one that has show that Man did not come from apes as shown by Cambridge University. Modern Humans were a separate species and there was some cross breeding.

The quote - "Extinction is always driven by environmental change. Environmental change is always driven by climate change. Man accelerated, if not created, planet change phenomena; I think we have to recognize that the future is by no means a very rosy one." Man doesn't have the power to accelerate climate change, that is a scientific fact to the best of our ability, we are only responsible for .01 % of the total production of greenhouse gases, how can we accelerate anything?

We have solid evidence of dinosaurs, but there are still some people still refuse to believe in dinosaurs. "The bones were put there by god as a test of faith". It doesn't matter what proof you present, some people they will continue believing whatever ideas they were indoctrinated with.

and one that has show that Man did not come from apes as shown by Cambridge University. Modern Humans were a separate species and there was some cross breeding.

Sauce?

to make posts like these?

• Like 3

You guys need to read this book. It's quite brilliant actually, and specifically mentions that we didn't evolve from monkeys.

darwin-book.jpg

First mistake, it is still just a theory.

This is where you can stop reading. The "just a theory" argument is bogus. It shows a lack of understanding of the difference between a scientific theory and your everyday common use of the world "theory".

It maybe an interesting and complex theory

It sure is.

and one that has show that Man did not come from apes as shown by Cambridge University. Modern Humans were a separate species and there was some cross breeding.

Of course not. We didn't come from apes. We came from a common ancestor. Next you'll be saying that science says we came from fish. Or that we came from flowers. Nope. We came from a common ancestor. They just happen to be closest to us because they represent a more recent branching point.

• Like 1

As long as something is a proven fact, I'll believe in it :) As long as something isn't a proven fact, I won't believe in it :)

So you believe in evolution?

Well... good, we're getting closer by the post then.

So you believe in evolution?

[. . .]

If it's been proven as a fact (I think it has, but I haven't looked into it, and some people say it hasn't), then yes I do :)

Adam and eve were the first on this planet, dinosaur bones were the toys they were given to play with but they give up cus there dog kept running off and burying them all over the place!

Well, if apes and monkeys are common ancestors, we are still talking about coming from a pre-human/ape/monkey which is still pretty much a monkey. ;)

In fact, that turning on its head from divine to lowely vs lowely to divine is what has generally caused so much Dawinian angst. Its ok to say we are devolved 'gods' (ie made in his image) vs the blasphemous notion that soul less animals begot humans.

Well, if apes and monkeys are common ancestors, we are still talking about coming from a pre-human/ape/monkey which is still pretty much a monkey. ;)

In fact, that turning on its head from divine to lowely vs lowely to divine is what has generally caused so much Dawinian angst. Its ok to say we are devolved 'gods' (ie made in his image) vs the blasphemous notion that soul less animals begot humans.

If we were made from his image, then it was a **** poor image to start from. To paraphrase NDT, who in their right mind would put a entertainment park in the middle of a sewage system.

As long as something is a proven fact, I'll believe in it :) As long as something isn't a proven fact, I won't believe in it :)

That seems a little silly. Sure you should believe something that's proven fact but not believing in something that isn't? The first problem with that is that statement discredits scientific theories (such as evolution, gravity etc) and secondly that doesn't leave any room for postulating new theories.

As with anything you should leave room for doubt, not doing so (regardless of the amount of evidence) is foolish.