Log average transfer speeds over time?

Hi,

I'm about to sign up for a web hosting plan to use for FTP/HTTP transfers of some pretty big files (500MB - 5+GB). When I tested my friend's account I got a steady 10Mbps. Someone else tested from their house and it jumped all over between 15Mbps but then stayed down at a lowly 1Mbps for a while.

I'd like to log this info somehow to determine if it's a fluke. Anyone know any software (any OS) where I can start a download and measure it's low, high and average speeds? And in the interest in saving bandwidth, it'd be ideal to be able to download for just a few minutes every hour or so for a few days automatically.

Any ideas? Thanks!

"Someone else tested from their house"

And how do you know it wasn't their end? What were they using to determine the speed?

Vs being worried about fluctuations in what some dialog tells you the speed is, I would suggest you just time the total download - this will give you better view of what speed you can expect from that server.

This could be scripted quite easy either ftp or wget to download a file every X amount of time and log the time it took for xfer.

For example you sure your friend was not just using p2p at the same time?