• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#46 +BeLGaRaTh

BeLGaRaTh

Been here since year .

• 5,685 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 08 June 2012 - 17:26

My Pebble Blue arrived today! Will compare in a bit but first I have a new SSD to install ;o

Awesome, I have had to send my white phone back and cancel the contract as vodafone/werephonecarhouse deemed the phone faulty due to the dropbox issue!!! Maybe I will set up a new account and get the blue one, it does indeed look very good.

#47 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,224 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 08 June 2012 - 17:45

Hopefully late August early September I will have the Pebble Blue model. Are the Zenis Docks available in the USA?

#48 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 13,037 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 08 June 2012 - 17:55

Pebble Blue might have done it for me. That LED Notification too just looks so juicy! LOL For whatever reason I just didn't like the white too much. Nice phone but i can live without. That Pebble Blue now however looking pretty!!

OH and how about a battery life rundown screenshot now? I'm sure you've broken in the battery and gone thru a few "normal" days with it. :)

#49 OP mrk

mrk

www.robbiekhan.co.uk

• 4,390 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:58

Updated first post with new thoughts/pics :)

#50 medhunter

medhunter

Muslim Emergency physician

• 506 posts
  • OS: Win 7 SP1 Home Premium , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Xubuntu 13.04
  • Phone: Sony Sola

Posted 09 June 2012 - 00:56

good review, my friend.
I simply don't have the luxury of using a smart phone @ work. It is crazy in ER

#51 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,405 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:08

Hopefully late August early September I will have the Pebble Blue model. Are the Zenis Docks available in the USA?

Ebay has it:

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_11330wt_893

#52 OP mrk

mrk

www.robbiekhan.co.uk

• 4,390 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 17:29

This phone is so much better in daily usage over the S2. Because it's so fast and so smooth at everything, my usage habits just feel like they're cruising past at light speed. That and the extra screen estate makes for such a good user experience.

The Rock case is also simply brilliant. The way it feels in the hand is unlike any other case from any other brand. It really does feel like a natural extension to the phone as opposed to a phone with a case on it.

Anyone who doesn't have it should find someone who does and have a good old feel! I also like the fact that it doesn't attract any finger marks or smudges of any kind unlike virtually all other hard/TPU/gel cases.

#53 OP mrk

mrk

www.robbiekhan.co.uk

• 4,390 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 23:34

So today has been the first day at work with my phone and a first indication of what to expect in terms of battery consumption when solely relying on 3G/HSDPA for the entire working day. I don't connect to WiFi at present there because our connection is being upgraded in a few months and as it stands it's too slow and shared so often poor.

I can confirm the S3 gets a stronger signal than the S2 does on 3 for me at work, it's 2 bars extra. Download speed is 4-5Mbit compared to the 2-3 the S2 was pulling from my desk.

On the S2, by the time I got home the battery would be down to 20-30% with around 2 hours screen on time, more % with lower screen on time though.

With the S3 though it's much much better, just got it down to 1% now and took screenshots:

Posted Image

I've also taken note of how long it takes to charge, seems not very long at all...

01% @ 23:12
11% @ 23:32
22% @ 23:49
31% @ 00:03
41% @ 00:17
51% @ 00:32

Total time to 50% charged: 1hr 26mins

That was observed charging using the official mains charger via the Zenis dock. rather fast charging for a 2100mAh battery.

#54 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 13,037 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 13 June 2012 - 13:36

Thanks for the battery life stuff. Looking pretty good there i'd say :)

#55 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 31,367 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 14:52

Posted to main, sorry for the delay!

#56 Debus42

Debus42

Neowinian

• 37 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S

Posted 17 June 2012 - 15:07

Have to say I far prefer the look of the pebble blue than the white one. I'd end up getting the white one covered in god knows what.

As much as I'd love to have this phone I'm currently stuck with my Galaxy S because my contract doesn't end until next year, not that I can afford the contract prices they're asking for anyway. Looks like a beautiful piece of kit though.

#57 Nightwind Hawk

Nightwind Hawk

Neowinian Senior

• 1,582 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 17:02

The phone looks great but what really turns me off is the fact that it's S-AMOLED... All of the phones I see with this type of screen just look blue with colors that are way too bright (plastic-looking) to me. Do you find this the same or improved on the S3??

#58 korupt_one

korupt_one

****ing Guru

• 1,139 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 17:11

like I've said its a pretty nice phone, Samsung has done a pretty good job. A nice review.
BUT

as we know and for people that know about single core, dual core and now quad core, Android does a very bad job when even trying to use dual core and it barely utilizing the 2nd core, unless there is an OS that can utilize more than a single core properly then I don't see the point to these dual and quad core android phones, I wish people would see that its just a marketing stunt so far. The Android OS has to be scrapped and rewritten to make it perform well on these phones soon. When Windows 8 OS is released that does fully utilize more than one core you will see that Android has been just an excuse of an OS that has led you to believe you have all this power and distract you with customization. It will be interesting later this year to see this phone with the same internal specs running WP8 and compare it to the Android version.

#59 OP mrk

mrk

www.robbiekhan.co.uk

• 4,390 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 22:08

The phone looks great but what really turns me off is the fact that it's S-AMOLED... All of the phones I see with this type of screen just look blue with colors that are way too bright (plastic-looking) to me. Do you find this the same or improved on the S3??

Having owned the S2 for a year and having had 2 in the household and other family memebers also owning the S2, the S3 screen has been tweaked so is less vibrant than the S2 (and Lumia handsets, and teh HTC One S). It's much more pleasing and colours do appear more natural and close to what you see.

It's still more vibrant than an IPS-LCD (expected) but the pinch of vibrancy on the S-AMOLED HD screen is a welcome one.

Here's a photo I shot with the S3 camera then placed on the scene itself to photograph again with my dslr:

Posted Image

The camera really is impressive,. I used teh HDR mode for that shot to ensure that shadows and highlights were'nt off.

#60 OP mrk

mrk

www.robbiekhan.co.uk

• 4,390 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 20:44

This official Samsung car mount works on multiple phones, not just the S3 unlike the S2 car mount I had which only worked on the S2 and only when not using a case which was a double whammy of a negative for that mount.

Have Samsung learnt the error of their ways and improved this new mount? Let's find out...

This kit comes in 3 parts, the S2 mount comes in 2:
Posted Image

The ball joint clips into this socket while the screw tightens the fit:
Posted Image

Unfortunately Samsung didn't leave room for arm adjustment so the number of ways to point the mount is very limited again, just like the S2 mount, you need to have it quite high up on the windscreen to get decent movement of the head:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Ultimately it still suffers one of the main flaws I found on the S2 dock, lack of adjustment and being aimed at windscreen mounting only as opposed to dashboard discs (see pic below). It's less advanced than the S2 mount because it doesn't have a socket the phone sits into to activate car mode, but if it did it wouldn't work on other phones whereas this one will work on almost any phone that's of compatible width as both side arms retract in and out.

So it's just a car mount that's tough and sturdy in motion, it doesn't vibrate and the suction is very strong but for what it costs I'd much rather recommend the Nokia CR-115 with a bit of DIY to the stock arm padding (remove them and replace with thinner pads) to work on phones as wide as an S3 because you get better movement and a slimmer profile for easier storage. It also costs less than £10 depending on where you shop. I also think it's by far the nicest looking mounts out there and because it's a genuine brand made one, it's good quality too.

Nokia CR-115:
Posted Image

--
Update:

The modding has started early :p I was looking at the ball joint and then at the ball joint on the Exomount car holder and realised they looked the same size....

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Exomount isn't exactly cheap either though so not an ideal solution, there may be mounts out there that use ball joints that are cheap though!