Photo

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 OP henriko

henriko

Neowinian

Posted 31 May 2012 - 17:53

Thank you all for all good advice, and comments. I guess I will take a peak into C++11 at least to evaluate a little more what the fuzz is all about. I guess some sort of combination would be the best choice, frontend in C#, back-end core algorithms in C++. I have done some benchmarks on my own and C# always comes out slower and sometimes significantly slower, even though I try to do all the tricks with unsafe etc. But I don't consider myself a performance guru, and I could be missing something. Operations I have tested is image filtering, mean filtering and such. It's a shame actually, in the beginning I believed if I just did all the small tricks (unsafe, i < array.Length etc) I could squeeze out more performance of C# and make it at least very close to C++ (of course not counting the startup time and JITing and such). But in my experience even simple C++ for loops is way better, no tricks (release code that is!). After doing my own small performance tests I started scanning the net for more on the matter, in case I was missing something, which finally ended up in this post.

Microsoft has some working prototypes of fully managed OSs, some public ones (e.g. Singularity) and some internal ones (e.g. Midori, see http://webcache.goog...lient=firefox-a ).
Apparently, they've also created a "language like C# that has the performance characteristics of C++" ( http://www.microsoft...-94035/1514399/ 2nd sentence of 2nd paragraph).

Their sudden love for C++ is a way to tell native developers they haven't forgotten C++ exists.

Interesting, C++ like performance is the only thing I'm missing from C#. One of the reason I wrote the post as well was my growing worry that Microsoft's new love for C++ would somehow reduce the effort put into significantly improving .NET performance (like for instance SIMD). Thanks for the heads up!

That is an odd first post

Maybe. My main reason for writing the post was to start a discussion about the future of C#, .NET and C++11 in light of the sudden outburst from Microsoft around C++. Since I'm also have personal reasons for considering a switch to C++11 (starting a big project with extreme performance requirements), I thought that was valuable information. It's not like I would consider switching to C++ if I was going to write a mainly GUI centric application, that would just be dumb. I was also eager to hear other posters opinions, especially I wanted to hear what Dr_Asik had to say, since I actually first posted this post as a comment to one of his blog post about C# being the future for Console development.

Why would coding in C# be any faster? If you use libraries like Boost, C++ apps can be coded pretty fast provided you start out with a solid design.

In my experience it's faster, but that’s not very objective I know :-) It’s also the responses I have got at several occasions from co-workers and customers, and Herb says so also in his videoes. I should probably add I code mostly GUI centric applications with rich interaction experiences. There might be a good chunk of libraries for C++ doing that a lot easier now (Qt or similar probably), but around 10 years ago when I started out with my transition via. VB 6.0 towards C# there was very little, at least that I knew of. I was coding MFC, oh horrible!

what is a "coffee based coder"?

It's what Herb Sutter calls you if you code managed languages. Take a look at the videoes ;-)

#17 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 31 May 2012 - 18:11

There's absolutely nothing esoteric about templates, maybe you should look up the definition of esoteric programming languages...

The fact that the Turing-complete template metaprogramming language was an accident, not a design decision, and that the syntax and behavior are nothing like the rest of C++, break most compilers and cannot be understood by even most expert C++ programmers, makes it esoteric in my book.

Did you know that because templates are Turing-complete, it's impossible to determine whether a valid C++ program can be compiled without solving the halting problem - i.e. it's impossible?

Funny to read that out of the mouth of a .NET supporter - name the redundancies in the C++ standard library than...

Most of the C++SL is duplicate features from the C library which is also in the standard C++SL, to begin with...

Niche status? You do realize that almost everything sold by Microsoft (including Windows, Office, Visual Studio and so on) is written in C and C++?! Not to mention that the industry reinforces it's focus on C++ as "the free lunch" is over...

Demand for C++ developers has steadily been on the decline for more than a decade now. C++ remains relevant where significant C++ codebases already exist and the rewrite effort isn't worth it - which is case for most Microsoft products - or where the performance requirements really justify it, which is a minority of software given that you already get pretty damn good performance for a lot less effort with .NET.

As for the industry "reinforcing its focus on C++"... all I see is some Microsoft evangelists trumpeting C++11 like lambdas or very limited inference were equivalent to a re-birth.

#18 OP henriko

henriko

Neowinian

Posted 31 May 2012 - 18:32

Since it might be of interest to others as well, here is some numbers from a quick performance test I performed. The problem was median filtering of an image:

(1) C++ AMP (same quick_select code as below just AMPified, included copying of data to the GPU) – 1.4ms

(2) MATLAB (using medfilt2 with uint8 data, IPP acceleration) – 4.4ms

(3) MATLAB .NET component called from C# code (including copying of data between programs) – 5.1ms

(4) Python OpenCV medianBlur (I guess with IPP acceleration) – 8ms

(5) C++ using quick_select instead of quicksort – 298ms

(6) MATLAB (using the normal built in medfilt2 with double data) - 399ms

(7) NumPy (4 for-loops) - 533ms

(8) C# Parallel.For (same 4 for-loops as below) - 865ms

(9) C++ (4 for-loops using quicksort) - 997ms

(10) C# (4 for-loops using quicksort) - 1129ms

(11) MATLAB (4 for-loops using quicksort) – 5200ms

(12) Python (4 for-loops using quicksort) - 16400ms

#19 CentralDogma

CentralDogma

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 May 2012 - 19:09

Also, make sure your running benchmarks in a production-similar environment. OS/hardware can have an effect on these things, so make sure you’re targeting the actual machine this code is going to run on and not your development machine.

#20 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

Posted 31 May 2012 - 19:26

It's what Herb Sutter calls you if you code managed languages. Take a look at the videoes ;-)

From what I remember he called Java and C# "coffee languages" (because Java = coffee), but he didn't call the programmers themselves "coffee-based coders".

#21 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

Posted 31 May 2012 - 20:26

Since it might be of interest to others as well, here is some numbers from a quick performance test I performed. The problem was median filtering of an image:

(1) C++ AMP (same quick_select code as below just AMPified, included copying of data to the GPU) – 1.4ms

(2) MATLAB (using medfilt2 with uint8 data, IPP acceleration) – 4.4ms

(3) MATLAB .NET component called from C# code (including copying of data between programs) – 5.1ms

(4) Python OpenCV medianBlur (I guess with IPP acceleration) – 8ms

(5) C++ using quick_select instead of quicksort – 298ms

(6) MATLAB (using the normal built in medfilt2 with double data) - 399ms

(7) NumPy (4 for-loops) - 533ms

(8) C# Parallel.For (same 4 for-loops as below) - 865ms

(9) C++ (4 for-loops using quicksort) - 997ms

(10) C# (4 for-loops using quicksort) - 1129ms

(11) MATLAB (4 for-loops using quicksort) – 5200ms

(12) Python (4 for-loops using quicksort) - 16400ms

So this is orders of magnitude faster with GPU acceleration than without; it's about 3 times faster with QuickSelect than QuickSort; and using the same algorithm, it's about 10% slower in C# than C++. That seems about right.

Using WinRT it's easier than ever to call C++ components from C#, so since AMP is C++-only, typically you'd write the app in C# and call into the C++ AMP component if and when required.

#22 OP henriko

henriko

Neowinian

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:11

Yes, the C++ AMP results was insane :-) It was really easy to change the original code as well, only a couple of lines of the program had to be changed. GPU acceleration is way to go!
Will try out the mixing of C++ and C# in WinRT, haven't been experimenting much with Win8 programming just yet. Downloading VS 2012 preview as we speak...

#23 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I need a new one. Gibe moni plos

Posted 31 May 2012 - 21:48

Nice try,

Bjarne.

#24 helios01

helios01

Neowinian

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:28

Well there is also web development with C#/ASP.NET (MVC) which is making great strides forward nowadays, so unless C++ becomes a web language, it's hard to see C# going away even if C++ somehow replaces C# in the desktop apps space. A mix may indeed be the best option. I hope XNA doesn't go away, I quite enjoy coding with it and it's an important component (only way to do graphics-intensive apps) for Windows Phone.

#25 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

Posted 01 June 2012 - 13:20

I hope XNA doesn't go away, I quite enjoy coding with it and it's an important component (only way to do graphics-intensive apps) for Windows Phone.

Me neither. I'm totally ****ed at MS for not supporting XNA for Metro, and probably not working on another version of XNA at all. SharpDX, although great, is no replacement for a high-level, novice-friendly and cross-platform API.

In the meantime, however, the APIs are being reimplemented as the open-source project MonoGame, which supports every platform from Android to Metro, and is apparently quite popular already.

#26 OP henriko

henriko

Neowinian

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:06

I hope XNA doesn't go away, I quite enjoy coding with it and it's an important component (only way to do graphics-intensive apps) for Windows Phone.

You should keep an eye on ANX (http://anxframework.codeplex.com/), they are using SharpDX and creating a high level wrapper.

"The first goal is to create a 1.0 version which has the same features as XNA and which behaves the same way"

#27 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

Posted 02 June 2012 - 13:20

You should keep an eye on ANX (http://anxframework.codeplex.com/), they are using SharpDX and creating a high level wrapper.

Seems pretty dead to me already. No real progress made since March if you look at the commits. MonoGame is already much more mature, making progress at a steady pace and being used in many real-world projects.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!