Windows 8 Release Preview Discussion

Ok, I'll try to hit everthing, but that's a lot to respond to.

1) Unpin tiles you don't neeed.

First, yes new software goes to the far right of the start screen. If you install lots of software, you will have lots of tiles. Any tiles you don't wait, unpin them. This will make it way more manageable.

2) Organize tiles into groups.

You can organize tiles into groups. Search for instruction how to do this, it's dead easy.

3) Name your tile groups.

Again, search for instructions if you don't know how.

4) Don't have an app pinned? Search for it. Open the start screen and just start typing.

5) Remember, the All Programs menu is still there, just like in Windows 7.

The All Programs menu in Windows 8 is also an alphabetically sorted list, just like in Windows 7.

In Windows 7, you could only pin a couple programs to your start menu. Today, in Windows 8, you have to option of pinning many many more.

Well said, but I would just like to add another crucial thing - semantic zoom. Windows 8 Start screen is a managing advancement in managing, finding and navigating apps than the hopeless Start menu in Windows 7 - especially for those of us that run dozens of apps.

The best way is of course Win + start typing. It worked well for Windows 7 until you had multiple matches - then the start menu started being very clunky. The Start screen search is way more usable.

I have a question, it's probably been asked before but Google can't help me: I always use Windows in English, but I always use a localized keyboard. This seems to confuse Windows 8 as the desktop interface is "normal" (English with a localized keyboard) but the Start Screen shortcuts are localized, with the app content being a weird mix with some stuff translated, some not. Looks horrid. Is there a way to switch everything to English?

In Windows 7, you could only pin a couple programs to your start menu. Today, in Windows 8, you have to option of pinning many many more.

What do you mean you could only pin a couple of programs? I can pin every program I want down there.

Well, it's like saying Windows sucks because you're forced to use Internet Explorer... it completely ignores the fact that alternative browsers exist. Why complain about the metro video app when you can use Windows Media Player? Or VLC? Or any one of the hundreds of alternatives? Especially when many of you like to use Chrome (or Firefox) and VLC anyway.

If you ignore metro apps you don't like, in the worst case you're no worse off than you were before. Best case, you find some useful metro apps you like that will never be available for Windows 7. This will be more obvious once the Windows Store is open to all developers to submit apps.

Right now, developers have to attend an AE (Application Excellence) lab (typically on-site at a Microsoft location, but sometimes over the telephone/sktype/watever I think) and have their app reviewed and approved by a Microsoft engineer. If it's not approved, you have to wait until the Store opens for all developers.

Precisely.

The Metro Mail app I use *only* with GMail (for the understandable reason that it lacks POP3 support) - for POP3 I use the same application I used with 7 - Outlook.

My default media player remains VLC (identical to 7).

One - and only one - Win32 application (AWS WeatherBug) has been directly replaced by a WinRT app (AccuWeather.com), and that is because it is less intrusive than the application it replaced while still delivering timely updates.

Just because WinRT is supported does NOT mean that you HAVE to run WinRT apps - this is NOT Windows RT, people.

Excuse me?

Ignore. I think the XP fan club found a new purpose.

What do you mean you could only pin a couple of programs? I can pin every program I want down there.

It depends on number of apps you use. I am very close to overflowing first row on my work system. I am guessing most people don't want a scrolling taskbar (unless your are using something like multimon).

not on the taskbar. he was talking about pinning apps in the start menu vs the start screen

not on the taskbar. he was talking about pinning apps in the start menu vs the start screen

Got it, I guess unless you have a widescreen on its side you could go for a while :D

He's referring to the lower limit (due to smaller size) of the classic Start vs Metro. It can show more pinned apps onscreen at once, not that it is a good thing.

Is there an updated version of Skype yet that works with the RP

Does anybody know if the new Synaptics drivers for Win8 are out, the one that includes touch gestures on your trackpad, like the swipe in from left or right

When I tested it with the CP, the Windows 7 USB tool still worked with my Windows 8 ISO

It still works with the 8RP ISO.

In fact, I picked up a pair of 8GB USB2 thumbdrives for general testing Saturday, and configured one as a Windows 8RP install thumbdrive (using the USB/DVD creation tool from the Online Microsoft Store).

Now these are the *generic* USB2 bulk thumbdrives sold at MicroCenter (in St. Patrick's Green - currently on sale for $5.99 each at checkout) - not name-brand.

However, they are much faster than my SATA DVD burner at the install process (clean install vs. clean install).

I'm going to use my second thumbdrive for a similar install thumbdrive for Windows 7 x64, as I know definitely I'll be picking up more of these "Incredible Hulk" thumbdrives in the future.

I've just installed the RP into VMWare's June TP and a couple of things I don't remember being there on my real install on my laptop (Will check later)

1) Icons on the desktop have a Check box in top left of the icon

2.) Right clicking the desktop anywhere results in the context menu opening to the left of the mouse pointer every time

My whirlwind relationship with Windows 8 ended yesterday. I was watching a video on Youtube when all the sudden, my screen went black with the mouse cursor occassionally appearing in random places on the screen then a friendly Windows 8 "system needs to be rebooted because something seriously ****ed up" message appeared. Rebooted PC and couldn't watch any videos because they kept freezing, then the video driver crashed. Was using Firefox and newest flash at the time. Checked event logs and kernel power failure error was recorded. I just built this damn thing so I'm worried that I'm going to have to tear down the sonofbitch and do the RMA dance. It had been perfect up until this point. Ran memory diagnostics with no errors. Temps seem good too. Wiped and went back to 7 in hopes it was just a Windows 8 bug.

My whirlwind relationship with Windows 8 ended yesterday. I was watching a video on Youtube when all the sudden, my screen went black with the mouse cursor occassionally appearing in random places on the screen then a friendly Windows 8 "system needs to be rebooted because something seriously ****ed up" message appeared. Rebooted PC and couldn't watch any videos because they kept freezing, then the video driver crashed. Was using Firefox and newest flash at the time. Checked event logs and kernel power failure error was recorded. I just built this damn thing so I'm worried that I'm going to have to tear down the sonofbitch and do the RMA dance. It had been perfect up until this point. Ran memory diagnostics with no errors. Temps seem good too. Wiped and went back to 7 in hopes it was just a Windows 8 bug.

My mums Win 8 install went t*ts up yesterday too, lost all ability to do anything online although the connection was there, and the graphics have lost their driver too by the sounds of the description emails I`m getting

My mums Win 8 install went t*ts up yesterday too, lost all ability to do anything online although the connection was there, and the graphics have lost their driver too by the sounds of the description emails I`m getting

My video driver stopped/reset just a minute ago on my fresh Win 7 install. I was stress testing everything by running 5 instances of MAME, which pegged the CPU at 100% and watching a Youtube video at the same time while also monitoring temps. Even after a long period, the CPU temp was still 46C and the MB was 30C, so definitely not a temp issue. Video driver crashed when I clicked to bring the Youtube video to the foreground. It just crashed/restarted the video driver though, no reboot. This is the error in the event log:

post-34036-0-55125000-1341961974.jpg

I have a question, it's probably been asked before but Google can't help me: I always use Windows in English, but I always use a localized keyboard. This seems to confuse Windows 8 as the desktop interface is "normal" (English with a localized keyboard) but the Start Screen shortcuts are localized, with the app content being a weird mix with some stuff translated, some not. Looks horrid. Is there a way to switch everything to English?

Why not use a language pack. This would change the entire OS to the language of your choice (if I understand your question correctly).

Welcome to my world! :p

Sounds like the graphics card makers can't get their drivers right yet.

Why not use a language pack. This would change the entire OS to the language of your choice (if I understand your question correctly).

I never use language packs and always use my OS in English, I just set the keyboard to the one with local characters.

Which makes this incredibly frustrating, and quite frankly, makes Microsoft retarded. But nevermind, since I decided to "hide" Metro anyway, as it's useless to me.

Sounds like the graphics card makers can't get their drivers right yet.

Yea, they're going on about 6 years of not getting them right honestly...

I never use language packs and always use my OS in English, I just set the keyboard to the one with local characters.

Which makes this incredibly frustrating, and quite frankly, makes Microsoft retarded. But nevermind, since I decided to "hide" Metro anyway, as it's useless to me.

Make sure that windows display language is actually set to english. it tends to change both when you change keyboard language, as win8 has a new language setting.

Make sure that windows display language is actually set to english. it tends to change both when you change keyboard language, as win8 has a new language setting.

Went to Control Panel, Language, Advanced Settings, Override for Windows Display Language and set it to English.

Restart the computer, Metro app tiles are still localized.

Went to Control Panel, Language, Advanced Settings, Override for Windows Display Language and set it to English, also clicked "Apply to welcome screen..." and applied the settings there.

Restart the computer, Metro app tiles are still localized.

As I said, I don't use Metro so it doesn't bother me that much, but this is ridiculous.

I think you also need to make sure your locale setting is set to english. the other one just changes windows settings, system locale is the setting all apps use(or should use) to select language, unfortunately some programmers think they should use keyboard language instead of locale.

I think you also need to make sure your locale setting is set to english. the other one just changes windows settings, system locale is the setting all apps use(or should use) to select language, unfortunately some programmers think they should use keyboard language instead of locale.

Thanks for the help, will check it out.