Windows 8 Release Preview Discussion

My whirlwind relationship with Windows 8 ended yesterday. I was watching a video on Youtube when all the sudden, my screen went black with the mouse cursor occassionally appearing in random places on the screen then a friendly Windows 8 "system needs to be rebooted because something seriously ****ed up" message appeared. Rebooted PC and couldn't watch any videos because they kept freezing, then the video driver crashed. Was using Firefox and newest flash at the time. Checked event logs and kernel power failure error was recorded. I just built this damn thing so I'm worried that I'm going to have to tear down the sonofbitch and do the RMA dance. It had been perfect up until this point. Ran memory diagnostics with no errors. Temps seem good too. Wiped and went back to 7 in hopes it was just a Windows 8 bug.

My mums Win 8 install went t*ts up yesterday too, lost all ability to do anything online although the connection was there, and the graphics have lost their driver too by the sounds of the description emails I`m getting

My video driver stopped/reset just a minute ago on my fresh Win 7 install. I was stress testing everything by running 5 instances of MAME, which pegged the CPU at 100% and watching a Youtube video at the same time while also monitoring temps. Even after a long period, the CPU temp was still 46C and the MB was 30C, so definitely not a temp issue. Video driver crashed when I clicked to bring the Youtube video to the foreground. It just crashed/restarted the video driver though, no reboot. This is the error in the event log:

Please check the latest updates. There is a new one available now that have to do with power management. KB2727113 (link)

What screwed up on your PC again? Is it similar to what happened too me?

Something happened with my drive's integrity. Something in the file system got effed up.

I think I found an issue in the RP that I don't think this should be behaving in this way.

I got a couple user accounts setup with them MS ID. I have the skydrive desktop app installed. I moved my music collection to skydrive and placed it into a music folder with in my skydrive. Did the same thing for my wife.

I then put the skydrive music folder into my music library (and hers for her under her user account). The purpose of course was we have OUR music separated. Now here's where it get weird.

When I am looking at the MUSIC library under her account in the homegroup, I don't see her skydrive music folder. ONLY MINE! Which my skydrive music folder shouldn't show up under her name in the homegroup.

The same thing happens when I signin to her user account and click on my name in the homegroup. She doesn't see my music library, just her own. And let me point out, we both can see the regular MY MUSIC and PUBLIC MUSIC folders for each, just not the skydrive folders that I added.

I did use the "Share with homegroup" option in the context menu, all that did was add another folder in the homegroup called MUSIC and it was from the skydrive folder. Problem that causes is that its not in the music library. (I cant remote stream it from other devices).

What the thought? RP bug, or normal behavior?

I've just installed the RP into VMWare's June TP and a couple of things I don't remember being there on my real install on my laptop (Will check later)

1) Icons on the desktop have a Check box in top left of the icon

2.) Right clicking the desktop anywhere results in the context menu opening to the left of the mouse pointer every time

I checked my real install on my laptop and the above is not true for that, is this a vmware thing ?

I have a triple monitor setup and with surround view any 3D or flash wont render. Fullscreen 3D gives me a black screen. Things like the League of Legends Patcher or The Secret World launcher wont even show up on the screen. They make the sounds, the icon comes up and I can see them downloading in the Taskmanager. If I switch from 5760x1080 to 1920x1080 everything renders right and works right.

I'll try back again with RTM in August hoping that its fully baked.

I have a triple monitor setup and with surround view any 3D or flash wont render. Fullscreen 3D gives me a black screen. Things like the League of Legends Patcher or The Secret World launcher wont even show up on the screen. They make the sounds, the icon comes up and I can see them downloading in the Taskmanager. If I switch from 5760x1080 to 1920x1080 everything renders right and works right.

I'll try back again with RTM in August hoping that its fully baked.

most likely a problem with the beta video driver than Windows 8 itslef

All I have seen of Windows 8 are the screeshots on here as well as on the Microsoft site but I am really looking forward to getting it when I finally build my new rig in a few weeks. It won't be my sole OS though, definitely going to dual boot. Im putting all the negative comments out of my mind and will go at it with a very open view but I'm glad people on here are reviewing it in so much detail.

All I have seen of Windows 8 are the screeshots on here as well as on the Microsoft site but I am really looking forward to getting it when I finally build my new rig in a few weeks. It won't be my sole OS though, definitely going to dual boot. Im putting all the negative comments out of my mind and will go at it with a very open view but I'm glad people on here are reviewing it in so much detail.

Very sensible approach.

That's a very good way of doing it actually. If you don't care for metro apps and stay on the desktop, you won't see much difference compared to Win 7. :)

Actually, the release preview desktop looks a lot better than Windows 7. The flatter UI is very welcome.

It is, isn't it?

Going back to Win 7 after using Win 8 for a while, it seems very "clunky", for want of a better word.

It's a relief to get away from all the chrome.

• Like 2

Makes you wonder how it'll be when they've replaced more of the Vista/7 era icons as well. The early shots we've seen from around a month ago don't show us the whole picture.

Makes you wonder how it'll be when they've replaced more of the Vista/7 era icons as well. The early shots we've seen from around a month ago don't show us the whole picture.

I expect it'll get a lot better.

That might be awhile. Win 9 perhaps?

It is, isn't it?

Going back to Win 7 after using Win 8 for a while, it seems very "clunky", for want of a better word.

It's a relief to get away from all the chrome.

This.

That might be awhile. Win 9 perhaps?

I dunno, maybe. If we're talking just the icons it shouldn't really take that long for them to be replaced though I don't honestly know how many icons we're talking about here. I think Windows 9 will bring more overall desktop UI changes though, the start screen is just the... start of the UI shift.

Windows XP Tablet Edition SP2 saw some significant UI overhauls, and the MCE and Zune themes also brought that around. I'd say it's reasonable to expect gradual changes to the UI before Windows 9 is out.

Service Packs sometimes bring new features, not just bug fixes.

XP SP2 happened once, and was a special circumstance and happened almost a decade ago as well.

That's a very good way of doing it actually. If you don't care for metro apps and stay on the desktop, you won't see much difference compared to Win 7. :)

I just don't get some people who have started using windows 8 with a "this is going to suck or this feature is going to suck" attitude based on other peoples views instead of forming there own opinion.

Although the difference is I haven't used windows for a specific use for a while like I used too so I'm going into windows 8 not as a power user or a software developer or anything.

Random rant lol

Well here is Windows Live Messenger 2009 and Windows Live Photo Gallery 2009,the Windows XP version running on my Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=313739

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=313739

For some reason I always feel queasy when I look at those screenshots.

I dunno if it's because the apps were already open or not but in todays Office demos the metro apps they started, weather and sports, opened pretty fast.

For some reason I always feel queasy when I look at those screenshots.

Maybe because ancient-by-comparison software on a new operating system makes most folks cringe?

I've seen a lot of that in IT (both home computers and business computers) - and it *still* gives me major cases of *Yeeks!* every time I see it.