Windows 8 Release Preview Discussion

win8 windows 8 release preview release candidate rc beta

• Please log in to reply
1057 replies to this topic

#76 coth

coth

Neowinian

Posted 31 May 2012 - 22:48

Hmm, can't install it on both VMware and VirtualBox. Getting 0x0000005D error. That, afair, means incompatible CPU. 64 bit Russian ISO, Intel 2500K, 64 bit Win7, 8GB RAM. Virtualization is on.

CP was working fine on both. Mac OS X 10.7 works fine on VMware as well...

#77 deleted_acc

deleted_acc

Neowinian

Posted 31 May 2012 - 22:49

runs smooth on my laptop. Only issue I have is the scroll up and down bar on the right of my touchpad doesn't scroll. Tapping the pad does click though so that's a plus.

find out the manufacturer of your touchpad and download a (presumably w7) driver from it... i've got a synaptic stuff in my dell and had the same issue with scrolling but driver install solved it completely

#78 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 31 May 2012 - 22:51

Are you trying to be difficult for the sake of being difficult? It doesn't really matter what Metro app I open, they all don't really utilize the space my screen has to offer.

You could've picked a better example than the settings app, is what I mean. I can imagine Mail might be a bit jarring with all that white, too.

Yeah I know about that, but the second app only takes up like 1/6 of the screen. It won't allow me give each app about 50% of the screen.

Valid point there. I'd like to able to at least resize them to my liking.

#79 psyko_x

psyko_x

Neowinian

Posted 31 May 2012 - 22:53

Did you read the "And by that I don't mean increasing everything in size so it fills for the sake of filling" part of my post? I can see everything just fine at regular DPI settings. I want to be able to fill all the wasted space with other content as what would be achieved by opening multiple windows on the desktop.

Fair enough. I definitely agree the OS is a little to focused on appealing to tablet users and not traditional desktop/laptop users

#80 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 31 May 2012 - 22:54

I can imagine Mail might be a bit jarring with all that white, too.

There you go.

Valid point there. I'd like to able to at least resize them to my liking.

So basically I'm only allowed to have two apps open at the same size, one of which taking up only 1/6 of the screen. That's just amazing… I definitely understand why Microsoft would implement this on smaller screens, but on larger ones it's just a waste.

#81 OP Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 31 May 2012 - 22:57

Playing some jams from my laptop to my WDTV Live SMP :) PlayTo seems to finally work right now (AirPlay/WiFi Direct) :)

#82 Vice

Vice

Bye!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 22:59

it looks really silly on my setup with everything inside metro being full screen. It's pretty obvious that the apps are designed for tablets and such. On my 30" 2560x1600 screen (of which I have three on my desktop) it just doesn't look right there is wasted space everywhere, below app content, to the side. I just don't get why they have included Metro on non-tablet devices and not included a way to deactivate it. Even if all the apps I use had Metro versions I'd be a lot less productive, I mean first of all it doesn't even cover all my screens, only the centre one and again the unused space even on one screen is jarring and irritating. Is Microsoft trying to kill multitasking? I just don't get it.

#83 Lucas

Lucas

Neowinian

Posted 31 May 2012 - 23:06

Is anyone experiencing high cpu usage with Skype constantly? Like even if idle it's using about 30% of my CPU (i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz)

#84 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 31 May 2012 - 23:09

it looks really silly on my setup with everything inside metro being full screen. It's pretty obvious that the apps are designed for tablets and such. On my 30" 2560x1600 screen (of which I have three on my desktop) it just doesn't look right there is wasted space everywhere, below app content, to the side. I just don't get why they have included Metro on non-tablet devices and not included a way to deactivate it. Even if all the apps I use had Metro versions I'd be a lot less productive, I mean first of all it doesn't even cover all my screens, only the centre one and again the unused space even on one screen is jarring and irritating. Is Microsoft trying to kill multitasking? I just don't get it.

Same boat man, same boat.. 30 inch Dell LCD and a 24 inch next to it... I don't need apps running full screen at 2560x1600. I really don't know what is going through their heads...

#85 xbamaris

xbamaris

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 31 May 2012 - 23:14

Anyone else having problems with non-metro Internet Explorer? It seems to just hang all the time and only rarely brings up pages. The Metro one works fine.

Is anyone experiencing high cpu usage with Skype constantly? Like even if idle it's using about 30% of my CPU (i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz)

Also yes, I am. Though, Skype alone is using 14% of my CPU% Constantly, I'm on a Core i7 920.

#86 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 31 May 2012 - 23:20

Ugh. All these mis-matched and bright colors on the Start Screen are killing the OoBE.

#87 phunkymunky

phunkymunky

Neowinian

Posted 31 May 2012 - 23:21

i'm still downloading it, so can't wait to test it.

has anyone tested out Windows Media Center at all? Is it more of the same?

#88 Gaffney

Gaffney

I have no title

I can see why some people don't like this, it's a big change and it will take time for everyone to adjust. I'm struggling to cope with the basics more than any other version of windows but this certainly has potential on tablets, Netbooks and desktops.

#89 psyko_x

psyko_x

Neowinian

Who at MS decided the restarting a PC is a "Setting"?? What option am I setting here? It took me like 5 minutes to figure out how to reboot my machine :-/

#90 Gaffney

Gaffney

I have no title

Posted 31 May 2012 - 23:25

15% for Skype here constantly i7 860 @ 3.06ghz