win8 windows 8 release preview release candidate rc beta

• Please log in to reply
1057 replies to this topic

#1021 CGW-88

CGW-88

||Modified||

• Phone: Lumia 625

Posted 16 July 2012 - 20:09

That's a very good way of doing it actually. If you don't care for metro apps and stay on the desktop, you won't see much difference compared to Win 7. :)

I just don't get some people who have started using windows 8 with a "this is going to suck or this feature is going to suck" attitude based on other peoples views instead of forming there own opinion.

Although the difference is I haven't used windows for a specific use for a while like I used too so I'm going into windows 8 not as a power user or a software developer or anything.

Random rant lol

#1022 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 July 2012 - 20:13

Well here is Windows Live Messenger 2009 and Windows Live Photo Gallery 2009,the Windows XP version running on my Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

Posted Image

Posted Image

For some reason I always feel queasy when I look at those screenshots.

#1023 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 16 July 2012 - 20:15

I dunno if it's because the apps were already open or not but in todays Office demos the metro apps they started, weather and sports, opened pretty fast.

#1024 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 20:43

For some reason I always feel queasy when I look at those screenshots.

Maybe because ancient-by-comparison software on a new operating system makes most folks cringe?

I've seen a lot of that in IT (both home computers and business computers) - and it *still* gives me major cases of *Yeeks!* every time I see it.

#1025 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:45

Multitasking behaviour is a bit annoying. If I switch apps in metro, it'll pause whatever's going on in the non-active apps.

#1026 ITFiend

ITFiend

ハッピー

• Phone: Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:00

Multitasking behaviour is a bit annoying. If I switch apps in metro, it'll pause whatever's going on in the non-active apps.

This is by design. Apps have to be explicitly designed for limited multitasking. The idea is to save battery life when an app is no longer being used by making it active for a few seconds per minute for status updates rather than being able to fully utilize the processor when not in focus. At least Metro IE keeps downloading when task switched, and a few other programs keep ticking while not in focus, but most completely freeze.

Makes perfect sense when on a tablet or phone. It makes less sense when on a desktop, but for now end users don’t have control over this (so far as I know). Maybe SP1 will bring users some control, or v2 of the app you want to use.

#1027 Subhadip

Subhadip

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:15

App developers have the choice to suspend it or not. In most cases it makes perfect sense. In some, like Music, it doesn't, and that particular app continues running in the background. It is up to app developers how their apps should behave when not used.

#1028 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 17 July 2012 - 19:10

One thing I really miss from the pre-Windows 7 days is the network connection animation on the system tray. I know I can get gadgets etc., to do the same and more, but that was a simple, elegant, baked-in solution.

#1029 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2012 - 20:29

This is by design. Apps have to be explicitly designed for limited multitasking. The idea is to save battery life when an app is no longer being used by making it active for a few seconds per minute for status updates rather than being able to fully utilize the processor when not in focus. At least Metro IE keeps downloading when task switched, and a few other programs keep ticking while not in focus, but most completely freeze.

Makes perfect sense when on a tablet or phone. It makes less sense when on a desktop, but for now end users don’t have control over this (so far as I know). Maybe SP1 will bring users some control, or v2 of the app you want to use.

I wouldn't mind if it did that while I was on battery power as a default behaviour (although I'd still like to control it, as listening to a presentation in the background while doing something else means I get everything done faster and conserve battery life), but when I'm plugged in to AC power, why does it need to engage in battery conserving behaviour?

#1030 ls_dragons

ls_dragons

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2012 - 23:51

Has anyone managed a solution to the Google Chrome browser freeze issue? I tried a couple of suggestions found elsewhere - no help at all.

#1031 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 18 July 2012 - 00:15

XP SP2 happened once, and was a special circumstance and happened almost a decade ago as well.

Why you have to crush hopes and dreams like that?

#1032 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:19

Why you have to crush hopes and dreams like that?

I believe, like many others, that Win 9 might take 3 years to be finished, but the WinRT framework is probably going to be updated much more frequently.
Giving us more new features every year, like a Mobile OS.

#1033 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:22

Most of XP SP2's fixes were about enhancing security anyway. I don't think Microsoft had much choice but to enhance XP's security after the litany of flaws that were floating about at the time.

#1034 x-byte

x-byte

Neowinian

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:44

Has anyone managed a solution to the Google Chrome browser freeze issue? I tried a couple of suggestions found elsewhere - no help at all.

Check out this post:
http://www.neowin.ne...#entry594967323

The whole thread is about that issue with browsers/multimedia.

#1035 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:43

I just discovered that when you hover your mouse over to the left lower corner to bring up the start screen has nothing to do with the location of the taskbar. If i put the taskbar up top, i still hover in the lower left corner to get the start screen thumbnail for opening it. I'm sure I'm not the first one to notice this, right?

Anyway, just a new discovery for me.

Another thing is, I'm still having corruption on the toolbar/ribbon in Windows Explorer. I thought initially it was due to the buggy video drivers from NVidia, but even with the updated ones, I still get it. But not always.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!