Windows 8 Release Preview Discussion

win8 windows 8 release preview release candidate rc beta

• Please log in to reply
1057 replies to this topic

#1036 x-byte

x-byte

Neowinian

Posted 18 July 2012 - 16:53

I just discovered that when you hover your mouse over to the left lower corner to bring up the start screen has nothing to do with the location of the taskbar. If i put the taskbar up top, i still hover in the lower left corner to get the start screen thumbnail for opening it. I'm sure I'm not the first one to notice this, right?

That seems to be by design. Why should it change?

Another thing is, I'm still having corruption on the toolbar/ribbon in Windows Explorer. I thought initially it was due to the buggy video drivers from NVidia, but even with the updated ones, I still get it. But not always.

That is most definitely not a Windows problem.

#1037 ls_dragons

ls_dragons

Neowinian

Posted 18 July 2012 - 18:00

Check out this post:
http://www.neowin.ne...#entry594967323

The whole thread is about that issue with browsers/multimedia.

I had already tried the "bcdedit..." fix without success -- I am not sure I have the same issue. My "freeze" seems to be limited to just Google Chrome. The rest of the system responds normally -- Chrome just won't finish loading. I have www.google.com set as my start page -- it never finishes loading.

#1038 Tuishimi

Tuishimi

Michinator

Posted 18 July 2012 - 18:18

I had already tried the "bcdedit..." fix without success -- I am not sure I have the same issue. My "freeze" seems to be limited to just Google Chrome. The rest of the system responds normally -- Chrome just won't finish loading. I have www.google.com set as my start page -- it never finishes loading.

The disabledynamicticks has been awesome for me. :) I already responded to you in another post but, I read in the windows 8 forums that there can be Flash conflicts with Chrome ... but I think it happens when two references to flash somehow get entered into the plugin config of chrome... I guess you could check to see if there is more than one flash plugin?

#1039 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 18 July 2012 - 19:40

[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=georgia,serif]That is most definitely not a Windows problem.

Who said it should change? I just was mentioning I noticed it.

I didn't say it was a Windows problem, I said it seems like a video driver problem. So, if it's "most definitely not a Windows problem" what would you attribute it to? I swear, I'd almost say you felt like you needed to defend something, but I'm not attacking anything. Just some observations. I was just curious if anyone else is having the same problem, or it was just me.

#1040 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 18 July 2012 - 21:50

[/font][/size]

Because it created a lot more travel for top aligned users. (And another disconnect created by hotcorners)

#1041 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:33

While some of the apps are pretty lacking in the UI department (Messages works, but it definitely needs to just show everyone who's online at the moment just to make things easy), I'm really liking the People App. Facebook is much better to deal with through it than through the website - usually that's not the case.

#1042 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:39

... I'm really liking the People App. Facebook is much better to deal with through it than through the website - usually that's not the case.

I agree. For me, the People app is much better than Facebook's site.

#1043 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:02

I agree. For me, the People app is much better than Facebook's site.

any screen shots of the People app?

#1044 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:09

Most of XP SP2's fixes were about enhancing security anyway. I don't think Microsoft had much choice but to enhance XP's security after the litany of flaws that were floating about at the time.

Since, XP was new at the time, no. They could have been ###### and released SP2 as a new OS, and by all means it should have been, but Vista reaped those benefits.

#1045 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 19 July 2012 - 17:15

any screen shots of the People app?

http://www.triballab...tro-app-review/

#1046 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:06

Does VirtualBox work in RP? To further clarify, I'm interested in installing VirtualBox in Windows 8, not the other way around.

#1047 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 20 July 2012 - 13:51

Does VirtualBox work in RP? To further clarify, I'm interested in installing VirtualBox in Windows 8, not the other way around.

Why not use hyper-v instead?

#1048 minoskid

minoskid

Neowinian

• Phone: Alcatel OT-807

Posted 20 July 2012 - 13:52

Why to install VirtualBox, when you're have Hyper-V feature in the windows? :) Try it

#1049 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 20 July 2012 - 16:30

I don't see why it wouldn't work. but as others have said, why not try out Hyper-V since it's included in basic windows now :) you just have to turn it on

#1050 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 July 2012 - 16:38

I've used both Oracle VB and VMware in 8RP without issues OR changes. (My current CPU, Intel's Q6600, does not support SLAT, which is why I can't use Hyper-V *in Windows 8*; Windows Server 2008 and later don't have the SLAT requirement, hence Hyper-V being perfectly usable there.)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!