No sideloading Metro apps on Windows 8?

I know this is old news, but this remains my greatest concern for Windows 8. Unless you have an enterprise license or are a developer, you will not be able to sideload Metro apps on Windows 8.

Yeah... so I guess most consumers don't really care - but I don't want to see Microsoft controlling the entire app ecosystem. I would like to see other stores spring up. I want to run whatever I want, from what source I get it from, on my computer, and Microsoft should not disallow that. These moves towards centralization are destroying whatever last bit of credibility Windows has of being a semi-open platform.

I am fearful for the future of Windows, UI issues with Metro not withstanding.

The Store will most likely be a massive good change for the ecosystem but they do have to make sure it can allow small developers an opportunity to get in.

You can sideload apps if you install the (free) Visual Studio Express. The average user probably doesn't want to sideload, so it's appropriate that you'd need dev tools to do it.

What you're suggesting would turn Windows 8 into Android, and that's the last thing I'd want to see.

You can sideload apps if you install the (free) Visual Studio Express. The average user probably doesn't want to sideload, so it's appropriate that you'd need dev tools to do it.

What you're suggesting would turn Windows 8 into Android, and that's the last thing I'd want to see.

Sorry but you can install any app you want on Windows now so how is this anything like Android ?

Windows 8 is a DESKTOP COMPUTER OS... as crappy as its UI is for Desktop computers.. it's not a Tablet OS or a Phone OS. You should not be locked down when it comes to a desktop OS.

Windows 8 is a DESKTOP COMPUTER OS... as crappy as its UI is for Desktop computers.. it's not a Tablet OS or a Phone OS. You should not be locked down when it comes to a desktop OS.

Microsoft are the ones who've done a great deal defining what a desktop OS is in the modern age anyway, and they'll probably continue to do so going forward :p Desktop apps are still la free-for-all on installing, but part of the entire Metro experience is ensuring a safe, worry free environment for running programs - something which is going to benefit a lot of computer users. Which Microsoft don't think you can do with side loading and skirting the approval process - for obvious reasons.

If you want to side load, there are ways with a developer license, or just using good old fashioned desktop apps. But I can't see them allowing side loading Metro apps for the general populace anytime soon.

The average user probably doesn't want to sideload, so it's appropriate that you'd need dev tools to do it.

But what if someone finds out about this great app on the internet & they really want it only to find out they can't get it on the App Store?

Well, technically it's mostly a Tablet PC OS, (as opposed to an iPad-like tablet OS,) but, yeah, I guess...

Well, technically it's mostly a Tablet PC OS, (as opposed to an iPad-like tablet OS,) but, yeah, I guess...

It's a tablet OS that is from the Family of Desktop OS's (Windows). It's the next iteration of Windows, not it's own new family. Like MacOS Vs. iOS, Chrome OS vs Android.

You don't actually need VS Express - you can type "Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration" into a Powershell prompt

I agree entirely. I didn't spend ?1200 on hardware for Microsoft to tell me what is and isn't OK to run on it.

Granted, as of now people can install normal desktop apps, but it's clear Microsoft are pushing RT very hard to be the primary platform of choice for applications in Windows, and as far as I'm concerned no company should be dictating what I can and cannot install onto my hardware. That's why I refused to buy a Windows or iOS phone, and it's why even if I do start using Windows 8 I'm likely to stay away from RT as much as possible.

• Like 1

Microsoft are the ones who've done a great deal defining what a desktop OS is in the modern age anyway, and they'll probably continue to do so going forward

Time for me to change profession ...

You should not be locked down when it comes to a desktop OS.

How about we talk about a real sh*tty change:

I bet everyone cried even more when they were house trained.

Sorry, meant "potty trained".

Such a radical shift in paradigm and thought process....

Mind-blowing... arse affecting....

And how did that work out?

How about we talk about a real sh*tty change:

I bet everyone cried even more when they were house trained.

Sorry, meant "potty trained".

Such a radical shift in paradigm and thought process....

Mind-blowing... arse affecting....

And how did that work out?

Crappy, I have to go out of my way to be in the right place to releive myself. I need to hold it until it's appropriate. I can't just go when I want, where I want.

Crappy, I have to go out of my way to be in the right place to releive myself. I need to hold it until it's appropriate. I can't just go when I want, where I want.

Are you complaining about not being able to crap your shorts when you want and no one there to clean up after you?

Maybe you should move to San Francisco. It's legal there.

Are you complaining about not being able to crap your shorts when you want and no one there to clean up after you?

Yes.

Yes.

knowing its Microsoft OS, i bet that there will be tools for sideloading apps, changing themes etc developed after the final version of Windows 8 is shipping

Wouldn't change the fact Windows 8 is being treated less and less like a desktop OS, yet it is a desktop OS in terms of family.

Wouldn't change the fact Windows 8 is being treated less and less like a desktop OS, yet it is a desktop OS in terms of family.

No. It's an interactive operating system with the ability to be used as a traditional desktop system, if the family requires.

Do we need to rehash the same tired arguments over and over? I don't get some of you, you moan that you hate metro and don't wnat to use it and now you also turn around and moan that you hate how the marketplace is "locked down" and you can't side load metro apps which you don't even want to use in the first place? Which is it ffs?

The desktop is open, install whatever you want on it, it's not going away anytime soon, Win9 will have a desktop and support Win32 apps, so will Windows 10 I bet. Since MS is running and managing the store, it sets the rules for apps, it's only logical. Now if after RTM someone makes a sideloading metro app tool then great, but the benefits, specially on Windows, are worth the trade off for many many people out there who somehow manage to totally screw over their systems because they installed x app without knowing better and had it **** all over the place.

• Like 1

Do we need to rehash the same tired arguments over and over? I don't get some of you, you moan that you hate metro and don't wnat to use it and now you also turn around and moan that you hate how the marketplace is "locked down" and you can't side load metro apps which you don't even want to use in the first place? Which is it ffs?

The desktop is open, install whatever you want on it, it's not going away anytime soon, Win9 will have a desktop and support Win32 apps, so will Windows 10 I bet. Since MS is running and managing the store, it sets the rules for apps, it's only logical. Now if after RTM someone makes a sideloading metro app tool then great, but the benefits, specially on Windows, are worth the trade off for many many people out there who somehow manage to totally screw over their systems because they installed x app without knowing better and had it **** all over the place.

Exactly.

• Like 1

No. It's an interactive operating system with the ability to be used as a traditional desktop system, if the family requires.

Interesting !!! But I think you forgot business who generally don't want or need an interactive operating system.

Interesting !!! But I think you forgot business who generally don't want or need an interactive operating system.

Unless business wants a tablet for it's work right? And then they can write business specific metro apps for those tablets and side load them and manage/update them on their own etc etc. Sure metro and the start screen is more for casual media consumption etc but there's nothing to stop a business from buying a number of Win8/WinRT tablets and then writing some of their apps over to it so they can be used without issue via touch etc.