Photo

Tomb Raider (2013)

official action adventure crystal dynamics square enix pc xbox 360 ps3 lara croft

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#31 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

• 9,028 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 20:36

I am waiting on my copy to arrive, but 2 reviews I read said the platforming does indeed take a back seat, and it is actually in optional Tomb sections.

A back seat to what? Third person fighting?

Are there still any puzzles like the old PS1 versions? I haven't played TR for ten years, but would like a slower paced game in my old age :p

#32 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 17,121 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 06 March 2013 - 20:39

A back seat to what? Third person fighting?

Are there still any puzzles like the old PS1 versions? I haven't played TR for ten years, but would like a slower paced game in my old age :p

Yep, to the "action" gameplay, so yeah, fighting and shooting **** basically. And yep, still puzzles as well they said, same sections I mentioned in my quote. The tombs.
it is still supposed to be a very good game, just more action oriented then the original games is all.

#33 Lexcyn

Lexcyn

Neowinian Senior

• 6,031 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 06 March 2013 - 20:44

Like the game so far, reminds me of a darker Uncharted. Camilla plays a good Lara.

Story is kinda meh... I really thought the intro would be a playable level not just a CG movie sequence and was disappointed when it was just that.

#34 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

• 9,028 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 21:51

Yep, to the "action" gameplay, so yeah, fighting and shooting **** basically. And yep, still puzzles as well they said, same sections I mentioned in my quote. The tombs.
it is still supposed to be a very good game, just more action oriented then the original games is all.

I get ya. That's quite a trend these days. Even games like Far Cry 3, where you can do the "boring" quests or ignore them... but I prefer those parts to the shooting :)

#35 Som

Som

Neowinian

• 781 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 21:53

playing it for a small bit (on PC), i'm not hating it :)

#36 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,393 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 23:15

I like it but it's apparently crashy (and not just on nvidia cards)

#37 curme

curme

Grand Inquisitor

• 4,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:05

Uh oh. Some more QTEs.

If I wanted to mash colored buttons I'd play Guitar Hero. It really breaks immersion from the cutscene because you get focused on the X or Y button and not the storytelling.

I'm still loving the game despite the QTE flaw. Hopfully it will last me until Bioshock Infinite comes out.

#38 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,089 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:00

Anyone know the best place to get ammo? Do you just have to find/loot it? Maybe I am missing something here.....

#39 LeGourmand

LeGourmand

Neowinian

• 87 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:23

Anyone know the best place to get ammo? Do you just have to find/loot it? Maybe I am missing something here.....

Yeah, there also a skill, that can get you ammo when "looting" bodies.

#40 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 1,296 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:31

How do you run out of ammo, it's everywhere. You can try going to previous areas, I think some ammo respawns. I'm playing on hard and the game is fairly easy. Half my deaths are for death scenes, the others are from assault rifle enemies or melee with ranged support because I always go mano-a-mano since stuns and executions are awesome.

Biggest disappointment so far is the fact that (minor spoiler)
Spoiler

#41 Scirwode

Scirwode

As High A Sky As There Ever Be...

• 4,877 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro, OSX Mavericks, Android 4.4.2 & Windows Phone 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020, HTC Desire, Asus Nexus 7

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:32

I'm quite surprised by how good it is. I went in with an open mind considering all the controversy surrounding the game and so far I have really enjoyed playing it. I've just reached Roth in one of the Temple Gardens and so far the platforming and puzzle solving is still there, though not as easily seen as always. Gotten quite a few skills already so my bow is already upgraded to a certain point.

Scirwode

#42 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,089 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:42

How do you run out of ammo, it's everywhere. You can try going to previous areas,

Hey, I am not the best shot after a few...haha. Thanks

#43 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:45

game looks very interesting and gorgeous, but what's with all the blood? The Tomb Raider i grew up was more PG oriented.

#44 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,393 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:30

game looks very interesting and gorgeous, but what's with all the blood? The Tomb Raider i grew up was more PG oriented.

...clearly you haven't played one in a while. Although the original was marked T for animated blood and violence.

#45 curme

curme

Grand Inquisitor

• 4,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:41

The island feels like it is from the tv show Lost, complete with "The Others"