Photo

Tomb Raider (2013)

official action adventure crystal dynamics square enix pc xbox 360 ps3 lara croft

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#46 +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• 4,764 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:09

Just said this in the PC thread but...

Amazing game, loved the story, gameplay, graphics etc... Game of the year for me for sure. Would love to see the movie version of this story.

#47 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,219 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:18

I like it but it's apparently crashy (and not just on nvidia cards)

Played it for 11 hours so far. Never had an issue or crashed even once during with HD 7950.

#48 +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• 4,764 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:51

Played it for 11 hours so far. Never had an issue or crashed even once during with HD 7950.

Yea I played it on an old HD 5850, without one crash.

#49 Mamoru-san

Mamoru-san

Atena-sama wo mamoru!

• 152 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:22

Just finished it. All I can say is that I'm really impressed with what Crystal Dynamics delivered this time. This game made me change my opinion: I used to worship Assassin's Creed 3 as the best game I've ever played on a current-gen platform; now I got my eyes on this new Tomb Raider.

After hours playing it, you don't feel like it gets boring. It entertains you from beginning to end. And I wouldn't say that the storyline is nothing like WOW -- to me, it is pretty decent and lots of fun. You can see Lara becoming cold and fast-witted as the game goes on.

Ok. I'm holding myself: THIS GAME IS AWESOME.

Now I can go to sleep.

#50 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

• 5,445 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 14:06

Just finished it. All I can say is that I'm really impressed with what Crystal Dynamics delivered this time. This game made me change my opinion: I used to worship Assassin's Creed 3 as the best game I've ever played on a current-gen platform; now I got my eyes on this new Tomb Raider.

After hours playing it, you don't feel like it gets boring. It entertains you from beginning to end. And I wouldn't say that the storyline is nothing like WOW -- to me, it is pretty decent and lots of fun. You can see Lara becoming cold and fast-witted as the game goes on.

Ok. I'm holding myself: THIS GAME IS AWESOME.

Now I can go to sleep.

You were credible until you gave AC3 such high acclaim, when it is highly regarded as the worst in the franchise lol but I cannot wait to play this with all the positive reviews (amateur and professional).

#51 Mamoru-san

Mamoru-san

Atena-sama wo mamoru!

• 152 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 18:40

You were credible until you gave AC3 such high acclaim, when it is highly regarded as the worst in the franchise lol but I cannot wait to play this with all the positive reviews (amateur and professional).

Well, it is my opinion. AC3 is a big improvement over its predecessors because of the renewed engine and gameplay. Compared to even AC2: Brotherhood ou Revelation, AC3 really kicks ass. I just would like to know that, if it's the weakest in the franchise, why did they decide to repeat all the naval stuff on the new upcoming Black Flag?

But, again, this is only my foolish opinion.

#52 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,198 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 22:43

Was enjoying this game then started it up today and bam saved game data is gone. Whats worse is when I start up a new game and get a few percent in and save, it wont load backup again. F'ing lame

#53 Earthworm_Jim

Earthworm_Jim

Groovy !

• 7,558 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 23:21

Amazing fun, similar to Uncharted series. Amazing switching between cutsceens and gameplay, all is so smooth.
Only part way throuhg, but I really like it. But does not feel like classic tomb raider. (i did not play more recent items... just first few)

Mostly action, adventure... the puzzle element is near extinct! The puzzles are **** easy! No real effort required at all.

EDIT:

imamoru: AC3 is a strange game to compare... have you played Far Cry 3? Pure fun factor and island atmosphere is somewhat similar... to me.

#54 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

• 8,725 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 15:24

Well, it is my opinion. AC3 is a big improvement over its predecessors because of the renewed engine and gameplay. Compared to even AC2: Brotherhood ou Revelation, AC3 really kicks ass. I just would like to know that, if it's the weakest in the franchise, why did they decide to repeat all the naval stuff on the new upcoming Black Flag?

But, again, this is only my foolish opinion.

Because the naval stuff is the best part. Which is why it's in 4.

It's the weakest because of Connor, and wide open forest spaces with nothing to do (weeeeee hunting). You won't see either of those in 4.

I am in love with the lore of Assassin's Creed, and I even bought the season pass, but I have yet to touch the game after finishing the main story.

#55 Mamoru-san

Mamoru-san

Atena-sama wo mamoru!

• 152 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 17:19

Because the naval stuff is the best part. Which is why it's in 4.

It's the weakest because of Connor, and wide open forest spaces with nothing to do (weeeeee hunting). You won't see either of those in 4.

I am in love with the lore of Assassin's Creed, and I even bought the season pass, but I have yet to touch the game after finishing the main story.

And it's clearly a matter of opinion: I find the naval stuff annoying and I love Connor.

imamoru: AC3 is a strange game to compare... have you played Far Cry 3? Pure fun factor and island atmosphere is somewhat similar... to me.

I'll give Farcry a try. I don't like FPS, but I'm kind getting prepared for it since Resident Evil 6, Mass Effect 3 and Tomb Raider are similar to FPS experience when you shoot.

And if it's from Ubisoft, I'm in.

#56 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,766 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:00

I played the game for a little while on my Dell 30 inch monitor. it was pretty good. Though I wasn't that productive, I was just staring at her ###### most of the time! :)

Ran the benchmark

min 15
Max 38
Average 30

i7 920
12GB ram
Geforce GTX 660 Ti.
1920x1200
Ultra

#57 OP compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,587 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:25

It's kind'a funny. Uncharted used to be accused of being a Tomb Raider knock-off. Now, it's obvious that the new Tomb Raider is taking some influence from Uncharted.

There is one part where you are in a burning house/building which is exactly like a part from Uncharted 3.

#58 Earthworm_Jim

Earthworm_Jim

Groovy !

• 7,558 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:42

Just finished it.

Overall: Amazing.

Have not had this much fun playing for a while! It is always interesting to keep on going, or to run off on a side quest for a tomb. Everything is just right in this for me. You can shoot and scavange any animal, but you dont have to.
The graphics on high end pc are just perfect! I mean everything looks so real.. grass, water, fire are among the best, hair and facial experessions are top notch!

Only concern: I played on normal and it was rediculously easy... I died only when I made an obvious stupid mistake. Otherwise, there is not much challenge in combat... Which does NOT take away from my experience of the game. I loved the overall experience, including combat! Had I known that, I would have selected a harder game, but you never know what to expect, so I usually stick with Normal.
Also, the enemy stock character models have like 2 versions that repeat ALL the time... kinda tedious. Which all the other stuff perfect, adding maybe a few more complex models would have nailed it. But I understand the complexity of such models, and I can see how they thought it was not worth the efforft.

#59 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,932 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:46

Got the last one the other day in the Xbox sale to play that first then i'll eventually jump into this one. Looks good though from what I've seen/read so far. :)

Always love Lara!

#60 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 1,280 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:05

facial experessions are top notch!

While they're good in cutscenes, they're extremely lacking during normal play. For example, when you're rescuing your friends from the helicopter cage and Lara is bringing them up to speed, they're all talking but the prisoners lips don't move, and while Lara's do move, they're not synchronised with the dialogue. I know I'm nitpicking what has been a very good game so far however.