WD MyBook Live Safe

Hi,

With the remote access on the WD MyBook Live, is it safe? because it opens port 443 and port 80 on my router and when people visit my ip address it goes to http://ip/UI and says forbidden, but are files not accessible unless accessed from the wd2go.com or on the phone app when paired? I did disable UPNP as it uses UPNP to open the ports and it goes into relay mode, which then sort of hides that i am running the device but is very very slow it isn't worth it!

It's nice to access my files remotely, but it seems very very *risky*, it has every photo on there date back since 1993 wouldn't want someone to gain access to it.

"wouldn't want someone to gain access to it."

So there is no password needed to access the files? Even if there was and it was STRONG as hell, say 20+ I too would not be too sure about that being directly open to the public net.

How do you know there is not some exploit to their webserver? I would suggest you don't allow remote access via their web ui, if you want remote access then setup a secure VPN Into your network, and then access the files that way.

Then again, these are not your only copy of pictures are they? I would sure hope not!!! Are there pictures on there that would be embarrassing if got out? If not, they are pictures -- why would anyone want them? Other than your family, possible some kiddies could delete them or deface them and post on reddit etc..

When you make things available via the public net, you need to weigh the risk vs the reward.. Is the reward of having easy fast access to your files from anywhere outweigh the risk of someone you don't know gaining access to them?

And again Please Please Please tell me these are NOT your only copies of these pictures.. You have backups of them -- right?? Hopefully multiple!

And again Please Please Please tell me these are NOT your only copies of these pictures.. You have backups of them -- right?? Hopefully multiple!

Indeed. if you "MOVE" them from your desktop system to the WD Drive. you still only have copy of the file, thus you have no backup. I have a lot of customers that think they a backup, even if they moved the file off the computer.