Any way to get rid of the ridiculous charm bar?

The amount of people on here you mean, let's not try and speak for every single person who'll use a PC out there.

The average person that will use a PC will just turn it on and use whatever they're presented with. Not really the greatest metric for judging the popularity of a feature in my opinion.

The only real difference is Apple isn't forcing it YET, they will soon enough, their goal will make it so there is no real difference between the mobile or desktop versions of iOS, you can see some of it already creeping into MacOS if you've used the latest version

So far Apple clearly stated the company has no interest in doing so since Macs are being operated in a radically different way compared to the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. So far the only thing they did is bring over some iOS features to OS X but adapted them to the desktop.

Given the amount of people that are ****ed off about the changes I'd disagree on that front.

It's a freakin dashboard. It's not that much of a change. I, for one, love it. Get over yourselves.

So far Apple clearly stated the company has no interest in doing so since Macs are being operated in a radically different way compared to the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. So far the only thing they did is bring over some iOS features to OS X but adapted them to the desktop.

I'm not one of Apple's biggest fans but I have to admit their approach makes sense. They're trying to integrate the best features of iOS into OSX to enhance it's functionality without undermining what OSX is really designed for. Microsoft are just lazily slapping a tablet design paradigm onto a desktop OS with no thought for how it's going to impact their non tablet users.

It's a freakin dashboard. I, for one, love it. Get over yourselves.

You love it, and because you're the only authority that matters how DARE we insidiously express our disagreement

:laugh:

• Like 2

Microsoft wants you to use 8 the way THEY want you to use, not the way YOU want to use it so 8 is really best avoided altogether unless you want it on a tablet or a phone.

ya, damn the man tryin to keep us down tellin us how to use something we dont have to use in the first place. /tinfoil hat off

Microsoft are just lazily slapping a tablet design paradigm onto a desktop OS with no thought for how it's going to impact their non tablet users.

Microsoft spends a ton of money per year in UX research. I disagree with that statement.

Microsoft spends a ton of money per year in UX research. I disagree with that statement.

Oh, so spending a ton of money guarantees that they're in touch with their users huh?

I'm not one of Apple's biggest fans but I have to admit their approach makes sense. They're trying to integrate the best features of iOS into OSX to enhance it's functionality without undermining what OSX is really designed for. Microsoft are just lazily slapping a tablet design paradigm onto a desktop OS with no thought for how it's going to impact their non tablet users.

Bingo.

The average person that will use a PC will just turn it on and use whatever they're presented with. Not really the greatest metric for judging the popularity of a feature in my opinion.

If something isn't popular then it's also not successful, I don't think the iphones and ipads UI is anything that great but people got used it it, like it and it's popular because of it. I think it's a valid metric, they're not forced to use something they don't like, they'll return it. PC's are the same thing, they can go back to Win7, like people went back to XP and so on.

Oh, so spending a ton of money guarantees that they're in touch with their users huh?

No, they just throw the money out in the trash. Seesh.

If Microsoft listened to Neowin users, Windows wouldn't have evolved past Windows 95.

• Like 2

If Microsoft listened to Neowin users, Windows wouldn't have evolved past Windows 95.

Yeah maybe it's just best for you to leave this forum with all its backwards users. We all have to face it: You're just way too far ahead of us to comprehend and so is Windows 8.

No, they just throw the money out in the trash. Seesh.

Probably the most truthful and non-biased comment you have ever made.

^This 100%.

Yeah maybe it's just best for you to leave this forum with all its backwards users. We all have to face it: You're just way too far ahead of us to comprehend and so is Windows 8.

Yeah, Microsoft hates consumers, they made Windows 8 for themselves, without any market research.

They're completely ignorant, and Windows 8 will blow up in their face because it's too different from Windows 7 and consumers don't like new things, especially when they are worse than the old things, like Office 2007/2010 and the ribbon.

We all know how bad Office is today, if only they had stuck with their old ways...

• Like 2

Yeah, Microsoft hates consumers, they made Windows 8 for themselves, without any market research.

They made Windows 8 so they can finally compete with the iPad, which is most definitely in their best interest.

They made Windows 8 so they can finally compete with the iPad, which is most definitely in their best interest.

They must want to topple the ipad really bad then, even if it means to forsake their desktop users which they have obviously just did with windows 8.

Yes, completely ignoring the hardware that makes up for ~90% of their users, which is laptops and desktops.

Microsoft must really hate its users by forcing a tablet UI into Windows, it's like they want their 90% users to stay away from Windows!

Yes, completely ignoring the hardware that makes up for ~90% of their users, which is laptops and desktops.

Well, not completely obviously.

Microsoft must really hate its users by forcing a tablet UI into Windows, it's like they want their 90% users to stay away from Windows!

They know that won't happen since Windows for most is the only viable option if you want hardware other than Apple's. It's that simple really.

Well, when Microsoft is trying to do this:

Do you honestly think continuing to use this

fullscreen.gif

will continue to work? Especially when we have touch mice, touchpads, touchscreens, motion sensors, etc, all coming onto the market. We need an OS that'll work with those devices. The old, Windows 9x paradigm isn't going to do that, and I'm sure Microsoft doesn't want to be caught flat footed when these devices break into mainstream. Pointing and clicking is archaic, and not the way forward. And it won't be long before Apple and even Linux developers start looking into these new technologies.

They know that won't happen since Windows for most is the only viable option if you want hardware other than Apple's. It's that simple really.

But, since Windows 8 sucks so much for laptops and desktops, won't people just move to OS X, Chrome OS, Linux?

It might take years, but Microsoft will eventually loseall that marketshare, since Windows with Metro is terrible. You do have alternatives, and people aren't forced to buy Windows hardware.

Even manufacturers will move away from Windows, since it now sucks so much it won't sell, they will just sell hardware with alternative OS!

Best ms can hope for in the tablet/smartphone world.... is "also ran" status.... and even that is a reach.

Why should I need to bring up a "Start Menu" to stop/shut down the computer?

because start meant starting a task, shutting down a computer it starting the shutdown task... that's what start has always meant since windows 95

Good luck using your computer without it. You can't even shut down without the charm bar; took me forever to find that button.

It's a sad day when you have to go online to find out how to shut down Windows.

Or , use search :) Though it would have been better if MS allows you to pin that.

post-293012-0-62915600-1338660610_thumb.

But, since Windows 8 sucks so much for laptops and desktops, won't people just move to OS X, Chrome OS, Linux?

It might take years, but Microsoft will eventually loseall that marketshare, since Windows with Metro is terrible. You do have alternatives, and people aren't forced to buy Windows hardware.

Even manufacturers will move away from Windows, since it now sucks so much it won't sell, they will just sell hardware with alternative OS!

Do you honestly think Apple's not planning to follow suit? Mac OS X will be changing soon too. I can guarantee it.

seriously, the people bitching need to give it a rest. yes im sure those of us here would like nothing better than a command prompt and basic windows with no skinning to do whatever we like to do quickly. just very basic interface that gets the job done. BUT you are missing the point. Microsoft doesnt care about you. They are catering to the general consumer who doesnt know much about technology and loves big shiny things. Thats the way the current market is going,and this stuff sells. So if it bothers you so much dont use it, nobody cares. Millions of people will continue to flock to Windows PCs because they come in all shapes and sizes,they are reasonably priced,and most software runs on them. When they use Windows 8, the interface is big,shiny and simple to use, with an app store where they can immediately purchase all their software. Do you think they will want to go back to the old desktop? They will not touch it. I bet they wont even know its there. Most of the big name apps will be there from day 1.

The old desktop is still there if you need that compatibility, but dont sit here and bitch that everything isnt as you want it,because the OS is not made for you. The amount of people that this bothers is so miniscule, it makes it an insignificant problem for microsoft.