Photo

Any way to get rid of the ridiculous charm bar?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
133 replies to this topic

#91 BumbleBritches57

BumbleBritches57

Neowinian

Posted 02 June 2012 - 20:59

Yes, Apple are entirely known for giving users options... :p Either way, the Windows 8 interface has had a LOT of thought put into it. People don't make such big changes without mountains of research and analysis behind it - and there's an extremely vast segment of users who could greatly appreciate the work being done to make computing more accessible.

What thought was put into it? What makes sense in ALLLL of Metro land?! Jack ****. that's what.

#92 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 June 2012 - 21:08

You like to keep posting that same concept video, notice how most of the things they are using are PORTABLE DEVICES with touchscreens, I don't see her doing any productivity work on her glasses or her 'tablet'.

I recall there being desktops in that video. ;)

#93 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 02 June 2012 - 21:10

Another "I hate Windows 8" thread. And another Windows 8 thread derailed by hate.

On topic:

Any way to get rid of the ridiculous charm bar?

I understand people who want to remove features that they perceive as "getting in the way", or that are always on the screen, or that are essential. Like the start screen. I love the start screen, but I can understand others that don't.

However, I don't understand people who react the way you do to simple things that are placed out of the way. You want to get rid of the ridiculous charm bar? Why? It's a hidden menu. It's very unobtrusive.

Next you'll be complaining about right click menus. If you don't like right click menus, don't right click!

#94 OP Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 02 June 2012 - 21:52

No no no! Microsoft is wanting to go minimalist, and simple, lets call it what it is, The Retarded Bar.

No, wait, I got it...and it's good....

...the FUBAR....

#95 Depicus

Depicus

depicus.com

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 June 2012 - 22:20

By "Charm Bar" are we talking about this ? Not quite working right in Videos

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2012-06-02 at 23.06.17.png

#96 laz45

laz45

Neowinian

Posted 02 June 2012 - 22:26

Its stupid and gets in the way of Windowed games.... How do you disable it????

#97 contextfree

contextfree

Neowinian

Posted 02 June 2012 - 22:32

My biggest problem with the charms is that all of them have names that start with "S", except for Devices! This inconsistency bugs the hell out of me. It should have been called "Swag".

#98 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 June 2012 - 22:43

By "Charm Bar" are we talking about this ? Not quite working right in Videos

Why don't you think it's working right in that screenshot? It looks as if you've just hit the hot spot but haven't dragged your mouse up/down the right screen edge to activate the bar. If so then that's the way it's supposed to work.

#99 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 02 June 2012 - 22:56

Its stupid and gets in the way of Windowed games.... How do you disable it????

Typically people don't play games windowed, and when they do they don't play them windowed in full screen as well. But for those who do, I don't think so, and what game are you playing that always brings it up? I mean, you have to move the mouse in the top right corner or the lower right corner, typically those areas aren't used by games.

#100 vetCalum

Calum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 June 2012 - 23:01

I mean is this an os or a 13yr old girl...?? Geeez...

Interesting. You're the guy who didn't like the taskbar in Windows 7, while that was in development. How's that working out for you now? :)

#101 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 June 2012 - 23:07

Interesting. You're the guy who didn't like the taskbar in Windows 7, while that was in development. How's that working out for you now? :)

After seeing that post I'm not so sure of anything he says anymore. I'm not one to use the ignore system on here but might as well give it a go now, this has entered a whole new level of silly it seems. And I thought the Gamers Hangout section could get stupid at times, seems it's not limited to that part anymore.

#102 laz45

laz45

Neowinian

Posted 02 June 2012 - 23:08

Typically people don't play games windowed, and when they do they don't play them windowed in full screen as well. But for those who do, I don't think so, and what game are you playing that always brings it up? I mean, you have to move the mouse in the top right corner or the lower right corner, typically those areas aren't used by games.

Starcraft 2 you scroll the map around by moving the mouse around the edge. Usually get the Start pop up or the charm and it gets in the way!!! I always play games windowed mode I got 2 monitors so I multitask like change songs, change website, watch a video that teaches me new builds for starcraft, etccccc

#103 SekaiStory

SekaiStory

Neowinian

Posted 02 June 2012 - 23:12

Another "I hate Windows 8" thread. And another Windows 8 thread derailed by hate.

On topic:

I understand people who want to remove features that they perceive as "getting in the way", or that are always on the screen, or that are essential. Like the start screen. I love the start screen, but I can understand others that don't.

However, I don't understand people who react the way you do to simple things that are placed out of the way. You want to get rid of the ridiculous charm bar? Why? It's a hidden menu. It's very unobtrusive.

Next you'll be complaining about right click menus. If you don't like right click menus, don't right click!

Exactly; I was baffled when I read the thread. The charm bar really isn't in the way and is very handy as users will know how to search, share something, access settings right away because it's the same charm bar for each app. Would you rather have it being called "Windows Live Connectbar" or "Superbar Metro" and add to all the poor brand names Microsoft has had over the years. They're making everything simpler and more accessible. A mail app is simply called "Mail", A PDF reader is called "Reader" etc etc. Charm bar sounds good and is easy to remember. Much better choice than "Metro apps" or Windows RT in my opinion.

If you (OP) created this thread with the notion of gathering attention, congratulations
if otherwise, get used to it, maybe try out a few apps?

#104 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 June 2012 - 23:12

Starcraft 2 you scroll the map around by moving the mouse around the edge. Usually get the Start pop up or the charm and it gets in the way!!! I always play games windowed mode I got 2 monitors so I multitask like change songs, change website, watch a video that teaches me new builds for starcraft, etccccc

I see, well, this would be a good time to fire off a message to MS to let them know. As far as I'm aware you can't turn the hot corners off. By the way, do you also hide the taskbar as well?

#105 laz45

laz45

Neowinian

Posted 02 June 2012 - 23:16

I see, well, this would be a good time to fire off a message to MS to let them know. As far as I'm aware you can't turn the hot corners off. By the way, do you also hide the taskbar as well?

Its not there in windowed mode.