SSD & Motherboad...

I felt my other thread was getting a bit congested, so consider this its follow-up. I installed the OCZ Vertex 4, and while fooling around with AHCI mode in the bios (by the way, should this be turned on?), my keyboard stopped responding. I've tried all ports on the motherboard, and even tried another keyboard: no luck. Is my motherboard broken? I didn't do anything in the BIOS that could have resulted in this (that I know of), so I'm a bit surprised and upset this happened... Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks :)

OCZ recommend turning on AHCI.

There is a myth/rumour on the internet that AHCI decreases SSD performance, however this is not the case. The original recommendation to disable AHCI on SSDs was due to a firmware glitch that caused micro freezes with AHCI enabled >.< This issue has long since been resolved.

Regarding your keyboard, I would go back into bios and make sure you have USB Keyboards enabled in bios (this shouldn't make a difference, but on the off chance something whack is going on (like your keyboard not working :p)) and legacy USB support is enabled.

Other than that, I don't know I'm sorry :(

OCZ recommend turning on AHCI.

There is a myth/rumour on the internet that AHCI decreases SSD performance, however this is not the case. The original recommendation to disable AHCI on SSDs was due to a firmware glitch that caused micro freezes with AHCI enabled >.< This issue has long since been resolved.

Regarding your keyboard, I would go back into bios and make sure you have USB Keyboards enabled in bios (this shouldn't make a difference, but on the off chance something whack is going on (like your keyboard not working :p)) and legacy USB support is enabled.

Other than that, I don't know I'm sorry :(

I can't access my BIOS due my keyboard not working.

Time to track down a PS/2 keyboard my friend >.<

If you don't have a PS/2 keyboard/port, then you might be in a bit of trouble >.>

Time to track down a PS/2 keyboard my friend >.<

If you don't have a PS/2 keyboard/port, then you might be in a bit of trouble >.>

Wonderful suggestion! Plugged in using PS/2 slot, keyboard works now. How do I discover what the problem is, though? I didn't change anything in the BIOS in regards to USB ports :o

And since I'm back in the BIOS, what is the difference between "OnChip SATA Controller" and "Onboard SATA/IDE Control Mode?" Which one should I switch to AHCI? When I tried doing this before my keyboard issue, it wouldn't load windows at all (and still doesn't, actually).

Edit: Apparently "restoring default values" in this page in the BIOS also turns off USB Controllers... who knew? Since that's fixed, about this AHCI and my drive not booting...

Thanks again articuno1au for that PS/2 suggestion!

On Chip Sata Controller should be the Intel controller while the Onboard SATA/IDE controller ought to be a third party (Marvel etc) chip.

I'd stick with the onchip controller as the Intel SATA2 controller generally outperforms Marvel's SATA3 controller due to latency and drivers.

If you are using an Intel SATA3 port (which is, I think, the first on chip controller), then awesome :p

You might have to look at your motherboards book. It should tell you which SATA port is which :)

EDIT::

I'm going to bed, was in a car crash yesterday so I am a bit sore. I'll check back on this thread later on to see if you resolved it :)

EDIT2::

If you installed Windows on the device without having AHCI enabled, you need to disable AHCI to get back into Windows >.> There are a bunch of guides about enabling AHCI mode after you have installed Windows, so you might have to take a look at some of them :)

• Like 1

On Chip Sata Controller should be the Intel controller while the Onboard SATA/IDE controller ought to be a third party (Marvel etc) chip.

I'd stick with the onchip controller as the Intel SATA2 controller generally outperforms Marvel's SATA3 controller due to latency and drivers.

If you are using an Intel SATA3 port (which is, I think, the first on chip controller), then awesome :p

You might have to look at your motherboards book. It should tell you which SATA port is which :)

EDIT::

I'm going to bed, was in a car crash yesterday so I am a bit sore. I'll check back on this thread later on to see if you resolved it :)

EDIT2::

If you installed Windows on the device without having AHCI enabled, you need to disable AHCI to get back into Windows >.> There are a bunch of guides about enabling AHCI mode after you have installed Windows, so you might have to take a look at some of them :)

Alright, I'll definitely look into one of those guides. Thanks a bunch for your help! Goodnight :D

I thought I'd go ahead and post this on both threads of mine, since there are some people following this one. Installed SSD, enabled AHCI, and fixed my random keyboard problem. Here are some benchmark screenshots! :D

post-157925-0-21689100-1338615322.jpg

post-157925-0-96033600-1338615328.png