Windows 8 Preview Black Screen overnight

I have the Windows 8 Release preview installed native on my 90gb ssd. When i leave my computer on overnight, in the morning when i try to wake it all i see is a black screen. The monitor wakes up but the screen is entirely black, nothing i do short of restarting fixes the problem..

I disabled Sleep and hybernation, im not sure what is causing this!!!

I've been having this issue for a while.

It's something related to sleep, however I haven't been able to nail down the root cause.

I've just taken to restarting when required and allowing the hibernate file to restore my desktop session as if I were awakening the computer from sleep.

I "Sort of" had this, but I waited a few seconds and it came back on.

I didn't like it, so I told my monitor not to go to sleep and now it doesn't do it.

For me, assuming this is the same issue, my computer never came back from the black screen. Only solution was to restart.

I came across the same issue. I've not come across it before, though I usually disable features like sleep and hibernation.

For me, assuming this is the same issue, my computer never came back from the black screen. Only solution was to restart.

Is your monitor set to go to sleep?

Sounds like my TF101 Tablet :p

I had the same problem with the CP if it went to sleep it wouldn't wake up properly, sometimes hitting the power button once would drop it back into sleep and it would wake up, most times I had to hard reset

Yes, and the computer is set to sleep also.

95% of the time it just wakes up fine and off it goes.

This particular issue isn't related to the monitors being slept.

Well i just went and installed all the latest MB drivers i could get my hands on. Hopefully it fixes the issue.... I also notice that if i have a screensaver set that asks for login credentials on resume, it hasn't locked up yet*.

Well i just went and installed all the latest MB drivers i could get my hands on. Hopefully it fixes the issue.... I also notice that if i have a screensaver set that asks for login credentials on resume, it hasn't locked up yet*.

I turned off the password request on login when it has been in sleep, that's the downside of using your Live account password to log into the machine, tooooo long.

Update, even with the latest drivers and having a screensaver. It still is showing a black screen when idle for over 6 hours upon mouse movement. This seriously blows because i use my computer for networked media sharing, having to reboot it all the time doesn't help.

I've had the same issue on multiple computers in the CP and now the RP. One is a MacBook and one is a custom built desktop. I've had to disable sleep on both of them. The laptop works fine with display sleeping though. My desktop however has the exact same issue.

• 5 months later...

Same with me, even with windows 8 release and nowwith stable..

Just tried to update graphic card driver, disable hybernate..

someone resolved?

This will sound stupid, but when you have the issue again, unplug your DVI, HDMI or VGA cable form the graphics card on the back of the computer, wait a few seconds, and plug it in again.

I had that issue at times and doing that helped.. Windows was actually thinking I removed the display, so it wasn't showing anything.. when I plugged the cable back in, it detected it and continued the display.

So try it, who knows.. it might work.

This will sound stupid, but when you have the issue again, unplug your DVI, HDMI or VGA cable form the graphics card on the back of the computer, wait a few seconds, and plug it in again.

I had that issue at times and doing that helped.. Windows was actually thinking I removed the display, so it wasn't showing anything.. when I plugged the cable back in, it detected it and continued the display.

So try it, who knows.. it might work.

I've a laptop..

• 2 weeks later...