Jump to content



Photo
boston

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

    totally wAcKed

  • 63,028 posts
  • Joined: 05-October 03
  • Location: Odder Space
  • OS: Windows XP, 7

Posted 02 June 2012 - 13:53

Most people know the dangers of NOT applying sunscreen but the risks of putting it on are less well known.

Carefully protecting himself from the midday sun, Brett Sigworth applied sunscreen all over his neck, chest and back.

But just moments after Sigworth sprayed the Banana Boat sport sunscreen his body was engulfed in flames as he stood in front of his barbecue grill.

Sigworth was entertaining friends at his lakeside home in Stow, Boston when the terrifying – and horrifically ironic - incident occurred.

Sigworth maintains that it was the Banana Boat sport sunscreen, that he sprayed on from an aerosol can, that caused him to go up in flames on May 21.

After rubbing the cream in for a few seconds Sigworth told CBS news that he walked over to the grill where he ‘took one of the holders to move some of the charcoal briquettes around and all of a sudden it went up my arm.’

Recalling the 'scary' experience, Sigworth said the fire spread to wherever he’d sprayed the sunscreen.

And he says that he only survived because his friends and girlfriend were able to quickly put the fire out.

'I went into complete panic mode and screamed,' he says. 'I’ve never experienced pain like that in my life.'

He was rushed to hospital where doctors later testified that had Sigworth been on fire for just a few more seconds he would have suffered third or fourth degree burns.

Almost two weeks after the incident and Sigworth is still recovering from the second degree burns he has all over his chest, back, ear and neck.

Photos taken in the hospital’s burn unit clearly show the lines where Sigworth sprayed the sunscreen on his back.

Despite his ordeal Sigworth says that he is not seeking money from Banana Boat but wants the company to put more warnings on their bottles to prevent anything like this happening again.

'There is no warning that says this product is flammable when applied to your skin or for a period of time when applied to skin,' he says.

The bottles have a warning which reads 'flammable, don’t use near heat, flame or while burning' but don’t say anything about the product being dangerous once it is applied.

'I think if people were told this is flammable for two minutes on your skin afterward, people wouldn’t use it,' he told CBS.

source & video


#2 arachnoid

arachnoid

    Vote cats you know it makes sense

  • 4,085 posts
  • Joined: 03-November 11

Posted 02 June 2012 - 14:30

Id say as he sprayed the sun screen onto his body its more that likely the residue of the actual propellant thats caught fire

#3 Growled

Growled

    Neowinian Senior

  • 41,508 posts
  • Joined: 17-December 08
  • Location: USA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:26

The bottles have a warning which reads 'flammable, don’t use near heat, flame or while burning' but don’t say anything about the product being dangerous once it is applied.


How many more warnings do we need before a few dumbasses understand it.

#4 OP Hum

Hum

    totally wAcKed

  • 63,028 posts
  • Joined: 05-October 03
  • Location: Odder Space
  • OS: Windows XP, 7

Posted 04 June 2012 - 19:04

Next time use Worcestershire sauce.

#5 Buttus

Buttus

    Neowinian Senior

  • 3,349 posts
  • Joined: 07-September 05

Posted 04 June 2012 - 19:22

Next time use Worcestershire sauce.


I was wondering if the sunscreen was BBQ flavored...

#6 .Neo

.Neo

    Generic User

  • 17,548 posts
  • Joined: 14-September 05
  • OS: OS X Yosemite
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 04 June 2012 - 19:36

If the sunscreen is flammable in the bottle chances are it's also when applied and hasn't been absorbed in the skin/evaporated yet. It's amazing how many people seem to lack basic common sense.