Most people know the dangers of NOT applying sunscreen but the risks of putting it on are less well known.
Carefully protecting himself from the midday sun, Brett Sigworth applied sunscreen all over his neck, chest and back.
But just moments after Sigworth sprayed the Banana Boat sport sunscreen his body was engulfed in flames as he stood in front of his barbecue grill.
Sigworth was entertaining friends at his lakeside home in Stow, Boston when the terrifying – and horrifically ironic - incident occurred.
Sigworth maintains that it was the Banana Boat sport sunscreen, that he sprayed on from an aerosol can, that caused him to go up in flames on May 21.
After rubbing the cream in for a few seconds Sigworth told CBS news that he walked over to the grill where he ‘took one of the holders to move some of the charcoal briquettes around and all of a sudden it went up my arm.’
Recalling the 'scary' experience, Sigworth said the fire spread to wherever he’d sprayed the sunscreen.
And he says that he only survived because his friends and girlfriend were able to quickly put the fire out.
'I went into complete panic mode and screamed,' he says. 'I’ve never experienced pain like that in my life.'
He was rushed to hospital where doctors later testified that had Sigworth been on fire for just a few more seconds he would have suffered third or fourth degree burns.
Almost two weeks after the incident and Sigworth is still recovering from the second degree burns he has all over his chest, back, ear and neck.
Photos taken in the hospital’s burn unit clearly show the lines where Sigworth sprayed the sunscreen on his back.
Despite his ordeal Sigworth says that he is not seeking money from Banana Boat but wants the company to put more warnings on their bottles to prevent anything like this happening again.
'There is no warning that says this product is flammable when applied to your skin or for a period of time when applied to skin,' he says.
The bottles have a warning which reads 'flammable, don’t use near heat, flame or while burning' but don’t say anything about the product being dangerous once it is applied.
'I think if people were told this is flammable for two minutes on your skin afterward, people wouldn’t use it,' he told CBS.
source & video