Exchange 2003 Standard to Exchange 2010 Enterprise - Need input

Ok guys, so I typically don't do this and usually only am dealing with clean installs.

I have a Windows Server 2003 running Exchange 2003 Standard with OWA, It has 1 mailbox store, and 1 public folder store. I have a new server which will be running Server 2008 R2 and Exchange 2010 Enterprise

What I want to do is install the Exchange 2010 system to the point where I can simply move the mailboxes over to it, and change some port fowards in the Sonicwall to point to the new box IP for the SMTP/OWA traffic.

So does anyone have a quick step by step on how to accomplish this. Will the Outlook clients need to be re-configured manually to point to the new server, and lastly are there any special steps to offline the old server once everything is off of it and verified working?

It depends, what features of enterprise are u planning on using?

But yes all roles can be on one server. You have to split db from cas roles if you are planning on a clustered setup. You will need a min of 3 exchange server instances for clustering. 4 if you are planning on splitting up across multiple sites.

It depends, what features of enterprise are u planning on using?

But yes all roles can be on one server. You have to split db from cas roles if you are planning on a clustered setup. You will need a min of 3 exchange server instances for clustering. 4 if you are planning on splitting up across multiple sites.

Just doing a single server, want to keep it simple, basic e-mail and public folders.

Also another thought, what about my 15-20 odd users connected via ActiveSync? Guessing I am going to have to re-set up those devices 1 by 1?

You can install all roles onto the one machine if you desire. I assume if the clients are pointing to the CAS box then through Autodiscover they should get the info for where their mailbox resides (which in this case would be the same box).

sc302, I really appreciate the advice. I may start bothering you when I get down and dirty with it once the hardware gets here. Hope you don't mind.

• 2 weeks later...

So on this guide... - http://www.msexchangegeek.com/2010/01/30/rapid-transition-guide-from-exchange-2003-to-exchange-2010/

I am on page 28 of 35 "Move Data" and I don't want to go any further till I mention a couple of things.

First, I configured all of the "Internal" URL's to be "servername.domain.com" and all Externals, to be the existing URL our current Exchange 2003 is using "mail.domain.com".

I guess one question is, once I move all of the mailboxes/public folders, will the old server continue to process the SMTP traffic until I change the firewall rules to process it to the new servers IP?

Second. On page 23/24 it talks about "Outlook Anywhere" and I attempted to enable it. When I did I got this error "The following Microsoft Exchange 2003 back-end servers aren't enabled for Outlook Anywhere.", and it listed my Exchange 2003 server. It did still enable, but I decided to disable it till I came here and asked.... do I need it? Will it cause any problems with my current ActiveSync clients finding the new server?

It think those are my 2 main questions right now...

I will end up making a test user box on Exchange 2003 and moving it by it's self first, then verify I can access the contents... any other tips of advice?

I guess one question is, once I move all of the mailboxes/public folders, will the old server continue to process the SMTP traffic until I change the firewall rules to process it to the new servers IP?

port 25 goes to exchange 2003

Unless you know of a way to make port 25 from 1 outside IP that mail.domain.com is going to and have that go to 2 internal ip addresses which defies the rules of logic, no you can't have the new server process smtp traffic until you make that change in the firewall.

Well you don't need outlook anywhere to work in exchange 2003...but it does use rpc over http which is what activesync also uses....so if you received an error there may be an issue that you should look into.

Looks like I have most everything switched over. Just 2 issues at the moment

1: Getting an 0x8004010F error when the clients try to access the OAB, working on that now. Any suggestions?

2: Activesync clients that were connected are needing me to touch them and change the username from "bsmith" to "domain\bsmith" in order to sync. Anyone know of a way around that in a single domain environment?

On #2, think I got that figured out, added a default domain to the active-sync-web in IIS, seems to be working. But OAB is still failing... hmm

Scratch that also, Default OAB wasn't selected under the E-mail Store.... so that seems to be good now also.

good job.

Thanks,

Looks like I got most of the ActiveSync devices to auto connect, except any of the iPad/iPhone devices, which aren't many. I'll have to manually touch those...

Got a an issue with Public Folder replication.

It replicated the Heirachy just fine, but the contents is not coming over at all.. There is a good bi-directional Routing Group between the 2 systems... any thoughts on what I should check?

There has always been an issue with public folders. Best I can offer is to use a mail client to back them up to a pst then import them back into the new mail server. You will then have permissions to deal without your data will all be there.

Yeah I got it worked out, thanks :)

The only other issue at this time is mail enabled public folders, they are enabled, but nothing is showing up to them when I send a test... still looking at this..

Verify permissions, but to be honest that is something I never did. Always made a mailbox and gave users access to said mailbox, never mad email enabled public folder to send mail to.

Verify permissions, but to be honest that is something I never did. Always made a mailbox and gave users access to said mailbox, never mad email enabled public folder to send mail to.

Got it sorted, I had to export the Public folders to PST, delete the store, and re-create it, then re-import.

The ONLY other issue I am having at this point is.. when I do the following from EMS:

Update-OfflineAddressBook "Default Offline Address Book"

I get back: The operation couldn't be performed because object 'Default Offline Address Book' couldn't be found on 'pd001.ci.cityname.fl.us'.

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [update-OfflineAddressBook], ManagementObjectNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : EC82B0BB,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.UpdateOfflineAddressBook

Problem is, "pd001" is our old Exchange Server and is currently a secondary DC.

I have already deleted and re-created the OAB, and pointed it to the correct DC. But something is still triggering it to look at the old server.

Any ideas on where I can check?