Which NVIDIA Drivers for Release Preview

Just installed the Release Preview but I'm not sure which NVIDIA drivers to use.

There is a version for the Windows 8 CP, which is version 296.17. However, the latest version for Windows 7 is newer than this at 301.42.

Which would be better to use, anyone know?

I suggest waiting until next week for NVIDIA to release drivers designed for the Release Preview.

Using the default drivers that came with the release preview prevented me from using things such as Spoutcraft. Using NVIDIA's latest Windows 7 drivers cause graphical glitching like no tomorrow with something like Fruit Ninja.

Best bet is to just wait. :)

Yep..We have to wait for them. Hopefully we get them by monday/tuesday. They are a few games i want to test under win8, but i cant do anything without the proper drivers :(

Oh that's a shame. Hopefully they get released soon, I was hoping to get some Diablo III in tomorrow and Tuesday as they are both holidays. Otherwise I guess I'll do something more productive instead!

According to some of the graphics hardware forums 301.42 works perfectly. I don't see any reason not to mess with those then swap to the official ones later this week.

According to some of the graphics hardware forums 301.42 works perfectly. I don't see any reason not to mess with those then swap to the official ones later this week.

Read my comment. I have an EVGA GTX 260, using the latest Windows 7 drivers I had a lot of problems with metro-based apps such as Fruit Ninja and Internet Explorer

Well turns out Diablo III runs just fine with the default drivers, even with max settings. I'm using a Gefore 560 in case anyone wants to know.

Running a Geforce GTX 260m, and I've had some issues with the latest Windows 8 drivers, but my guess is those were for the Consumer Preview version, despite the fact that they are semi-recent drivers. Haven't tried the 301.42 drivers, but I'm apprehensive about reinstalling it since there were so many drivers issues.

im having huge problems with NVIDIA drivers since the Consumer Preview..

if I uninstall the drivers and use the default ones in Windows 8 CP .. there were no crashes ... games ran perfectly.. but Photoshop didn't detect my GPU. With drivers it always crashed on playing utube or just simply playing a video in WMP.. although they run fine in VLC as it wont use hardware acceleration..

Now the problem with RP is that the default drivers that come with this one are the updated NVidia drivers from CP.. so they crash my system. :(

And I cant roll back or anything.. im just waiting for the latest drivers and hope it fixes this problem..

else ill have to download MANY old drivers and look for the one that work fine :(

anybody having this problem here?

[update] (6/6/2012): We have decided to postpone the driver release to pick up some additional fixes that we feel are necessary for a great Windows 8 experience. We apologize for the delay and will post the new driver as soon as possible.

http://blogs.nvidia....-certification/

In other words, we are incompetent.

[update] (6/6/2012): We have decided to postpone the driver release to pick up some additional fixes that we feel are necessary for a great Windows 8 experience. We apologize for the delay and will post the new driver as soon as possible.

http://blogs.nvidia....-certification/

Disappointing. Still, it is a pre-release operating system and they are building the new drivers on a different architecture so it's not the end of the world. The regular Win7 drivers work fine.

Disappointing. Still, it is a pre-release operating system and they are building the new drivers on a different architecture so it's not the end of the world. The regular Win7 drivers work fine.

they don't.. I did some research and it seems all drivers after 289.xx cause the system to crash when playing a video on win8 CP or RP for my GPU. its universal ive read many ppl with the same gpu as mine having this same problem.

I installed 289.xx and they crash but recover after it. so I don't need to hard reset the system. I hope NVidia take notice of this.

I hope they get it sorted out soon. With my 680 setup I cannot use Windows 8 for much since IE brings the system to a halt if it crashes, and it crashes if it is accessed whatsoever.

they don't.. I did some research and it seems all drivers after 289.xx cause the system to crash when playing a video on win8 CP or RP for my GPU. its universal ive read many ppl with the same gpu as mine having this same problem.

I installed 289.xx and they crash but recover after it. so I don't need to hard reset the system. I hope NVidia take notice of this.

Hi so have you found a driver that is stable and not insanely slow? I have tested a few and like you found that the driver crashes and restarts itself but it's not viable at all.

Even 285.79 does this (pre 289.xx) :/

Using Microsoft WDDM inbuilt drivers for my 330M. Working fine so far.

I have nvidias annoying optimus setup, though disabled the intel gpu so only running with the nvidia 330m How ever! its not found as a sinlge gpu so basically I have to mod the inf to install drivers which is totally fine for the most part. it does also mean that I need the WDDM install as I can't install it from windows update. Can they be found anywhere? :D

Hi so have you found a driver that is stable and not insanely slow? I have tested a few and like you found that the driver crashes and restarts itself but it's not viable at all.

Even 285.79 does this (pre 289.xx) :/

Using Microsoft WDDM inbuilt drivers for my 330M. Working fine so far.

Well the old ones crash I know. But atleast they just recover.

Also the inbuilt drivers are really ****ty in the sense that no GPU acceleration software will detect the GPU.

Long story short.

NVIDIA needs to release a driver for RP that fixes all the bugs because of the recent changes MS has made to the video playback thingy as per the latest Building Windows 8 Blog post.

Well on guru3d forum, some people mentioned that mobile driver of r302 works good with Windows 8.

Well on guru3d forum, some people mentioned that mobile driver of r302 works good with Windows 8.

Just installed 302.71, and they seem to crash as well. When I start a game of starcraft 2, the screen goes black, and comes back and core/memory settings on the gpu have reset. unfortunately.

Not that I start looking around, it turns out all the drivers I have tested do the same, Crash the drivers. :( Can't find WDDM anywhere either.

So I did a bit more testing and it turns out! Win8 REALLY does not like GPU overclocking with the current drivers available. Before I was way under what I "can" normally in win7 but after resetting clock speeds to default, starcraft 2 started without! crashing the nvidia drivers. Which is interesting! (sorry editor told me I didn't have permission to edit the post above?)