Photo

Which NVIDIA Drivers for Release Preview

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Zain Adeel

Zain Adeel

Zain

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:11

Did an update on main, thanks for the infos guys http://www.neowin.ne...-driver-release (Y)

thx Neobond! :) Nvidia needs to take notice of this.

#17 NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo

Neowinian

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:51

I hope they get it sorted out soon. With my 680 setup I cannot use Windows 8 for much since IE brings the system to a halt if it crashes, and it crashes if it is accessed whatsoever.

#18 thomaskc

thomaskc

Neowinian

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:56

they don't.. I did some research and it seems all drivers after 289.xx cause the system to crash when playing a video on win8 CP or RP for my GPU. its universal ive read many ppl with the same gpu as mine having this same problem.
I installed 289.xx and they crash but recover after it. so I don't need to hard reset the system. I hope NVidia take notice of this.

Hi so have you found a driver that is stable and not insanely slow? I have tested a few and like you found that the driver crashes and restarts itself but it's not viable at all.

Even 285.79 does this (pre 289.xx) :/

#19 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:06

Using Microsoft WDDM inbuilt drivers for my 330M. Working fine so far.

#20 thomaskc

thomaskc

Neowinian

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:08

I have nvidias annoying optimus setup, though disabled the intel gpu so only running with the nvidia 330m How ever! its not found as a sinlge gpu so basically I have to mod the inf to install drivers which is totally fine for the most part. it does also mean that I need the WDDM install as I can't install it from windows update. Can they be found anywhere? :D

#21 Zain Adeel

Zain Adeel

Zain

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:13

Hi so have you found a driver that is stable and not insanely slow? I have tested a few and like you found that the driver crashes and restarts itself but it's not viable at all.

Even 285.79 does this (pre 289.xx) :/

Well the old ones crash I know. But atleast they just recover.

Also the inbuilt drivers are really ****ty in the sense that no GPU acceleration software will detect the GPU.

#22 Zain Adeel

Zain Adeel

Zain

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:14

Long story short.

NVIDIA needs to release a driver for RP that fixes all the bugs because of the recent changes MS has made to the video playback thingy as per the latest Building Windows 8 Blog post.

#23 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware) It sucks!!!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:23

Well on guru3d forum, some people mentioned that mobile driver of r302 works good with Windows 8.

#24 thomaskc

thomaskc

Neowinian

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:34

Well on guru3d forum, some people mentioned that mobile driver of r302 works good with Windows 8.

Just installed 302.71, and they seem to crash as well. When I start a game of starcraft 2, the screen goes black, and comes back and core/memory settings on the gpu have reset. unfortunately.

Not that I start looking around, it turns out all the drivers I have tested do the same, Crash the drivers. :( Can't find WDDM anywhere either.

#25 thomaskc

thomaskc

Neowinian

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:21

So I did a bit more testing and it turns out! Win8 REALLY does not like GPU overclocking with the current drivers available. Before I was way under what I "can" normally in win7 but after resetting clock speeds to default, starcraft 2 started without! crashing the nvidia drivers. Which is interesting! (sorry editor told me I didn't have permission to edit the post above?)

#26 +Zlip792

Zlip792

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Nokia C3-00 (8.70 firmware) It sucks!!!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:38

Just installed 302.71, and they seem to crash as well. When I start a game of starcraft 2, the screen goes black, and comes back and core/memory settings on the gpu have reset. unfortunately.

Not that I start looking around, it turns out all the drivers I have tested do the same, Crash the drivers. :( Can't find WDDM anywhere either.

Well then only hope will be nvidia offered driver which they pushed back for a while.

#27 anidais

anidais

Neowinian

Posted 10 June 2012 - 00:41

Well then only hope will be nvidia offered driver which they pushed back for a while.

Hopefully the new drivers are released next week. None of the drivers I've tried fix the crashing issues.

#28 thomaskc

thomaskc

Neowinian

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:08

Hopefully the new drivers are released next week. None of the drivers I've tried fix the crashing issues.

try the 301.42 drivers, works pretty damn well here once I turned down my overclocking a bit.

#29 anidais

anidais

Neowinian

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:23

try the 301.42 drivers, works pretty damn well here once I turned down my overclocking a bit.

301.42 is Windows 7 only I believe. Have you gotten any crashes after installing it? With all the drivers I've tried I keep getting strange multi-color artifacts on screen and NVIDIA driver crashes. Most of the time the driver recovers. Only once I had to hard shut down my PC. The errors happen randomly.

#30 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:37

they don't.. I did some research and it seems all drivers after 289.xx cause the system to crash when playing a video on win8 CP or RP for my GPU. its universal ive read many ppl with the same gpu as mine having this same problem.

Obviously I can't speak for every setup but I installed the latest drivers Windows 7 drivers - 301.42 - and haven't had any issues with video playback or games. That's particularly impressive considering I have an SLI setup. All I can do is recommend what works for me.