Win 8 with Elantech touchpad - Config app crashes

I'm having issues with the Elantech touchpad config program in Windows 8 RP x64. The driver for the touchpad works fine, and I can use 2 finger scrolling as expected. However, when I try to go to the Elantech options (Mouse control Panel Applet - "Elan" tab - "Options" button), I get the error message:

Windows Shell Common Dll has stopped working.
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. [/CODE]

I should say that I encountered this problem in the Consumer Preview also. I'm trying to get into the config options to set up 2 finger tap to middle click. Obviously this is an incompatibility due to an unsupported, prerelease OS, but I was wondering if anybody else had encountered and maybe solved this issue, or at least found a workaround. Is there any way to manually configure the actions for various buttons, a la synclient for Linux? Or perhaps some registry keys? I've poked around a little bit, but I haven't been able to find the any keys that look promising. I've also tried setting the ETDCtrl.exe program (the driver utility program) to Windows 7 compatibility mode, and also to always run as administrator.

Any ideas?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...