Do you like or hate Windows 8?

The direction Microsoft took with Windows 8  

855 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the direction Microsoft took with Windows 8?

• Yes I love it, i'll be upgrading
    • No I hate it, i'll stick with Windows 7
    • It doesn't bother me
    • I will use Windows 8 with a start menu hack program

I wish we could share some of the videos from them (I'm actually surprised Channel 9 never has, or at least if they did I couldn't easily find it).

That will be interesting thing to watch...for a few minutes at least.

I said that every person I've ever seen use a laptop just closes the lid when they're done, or in some cases presses the power button first. You said this wastes power, to which I said no, it doesn't, since it puts the laptop to sleep (very little power) and it then dozes to hibernate (no power). I didn't say that anyone knows or cares what sleep or hibernate is. They just know that when they shut the lid, or press the power button, it's "off." And when they need it, it's back "on."

I guess folks in the USA just do things differently. Here, people (all those I know, anyway), go to shutdown from the start button. Older versions of Windows have never really hibernated too well (my work one, running XP, is terrible. When I resume from hibernate, the docking station doesn't function :s), and people just got used to shutting down properly from that. People don't tend to change habits once they're ingrained.

Oh right, forgot it wasn't there, whoops. But yeah, that is the idea though. There's really one key thing you need to know when first using Windows 8. For mouse, it's throw the cursor into the corners. For touch, it's swipe in from the edges. Once you have that, it shouldn't be hard to figure out how to get around.

As I said. Once I explained that too them, they got it; but they still wanted a visual clue. I really don't expect them to remember all the mouse gestures and active corners etc.

I wish we could share some of the videos from them (I'm actually surprised Channel 9 never has, or at least if they did I couldn't easily find it).

Well, poke the powers that be about putting them up! Personally, I suspect a lot of these folks just told you guys what you were wanting to hear, especially if they were compensated for their time.

It's settled when Microsoft puts back the start menu and provides a way to turn off Metro.

You and I both know that's not happening.

Some of you may find this hard to believe, but there are some people out there who don't see Windows 8 as a drastic but necessary leap forward for Microsoft as they fight to stay relevant in the advent of tablets and touchscreen PCs.

Indeed, some people view the 'modern' UI as an ugly, overbearing full-screen tablet interface awkwardly tacked on top of what is essentially a desktop OS. Others are mystified how Microsoft could have strayed so far from their original vision back when 'Metro' was first revealed, or claim that the two UIs were so rushed they bear almost no resemblance and have no place being part of the same OS. Then some just plain can't live without a Start button.

The only reason I bring this up is that given the overwhelmingly positive reaction Windows 8 has received on this site, I'm surprised these critics haven't been more vocal. Certainly if I felt the same way they did, I'd feel the need to express my opinion on any article even remotely related to the new OS. In fact, I'd be tempted to somehow shoehorn my opinions into articles that have nothing to do with Windows 8, or even Microsoft, just to ensure that even people who had no intention of reading about Windows today are aware of what a terrible thing Microsoft has done.

Maybe they're just shy or fear the backlash from expressing their opinions, and while I may not agree with them, I just thought I'd point out there is another side to the argument and give these critics a voice, as I feel they are grossly under-represented here on Neowin.

/s

• Like 2

As I like to say: **** these people :p lol. Windows 8 is the next logical step in computer evolution. It allows for rich and beautiful applications that operate and interact in a very clean and never before seen fashion. People complain that's it's too hard to use when in reality it's a thousand times simpler than the good ol' desktop and with RT people will have access to really cheap computers that will accomplish all the tasks they want. It's a departure from the old way of doing things (without sacrificing anything about it) and it's more than welcome, in fact, people have been asking for it for a long time and it's finally here! I just can't wait for everyone to try it out! I already installed the release preview on all my friend's and relative's computer and so far they are loving it!

• Like 3

The only reason I bring this up is that given the overwhelmingly positive reaction Windows 8 has received on this site, I'm surprised these critics haven't been more vocal. Certainly if I felt the same way they did, I'd feel the need to express my opinion on any article even remotely related to the new OS. In fact, I'd be tempted to somehow shoehorn my opinions into articles that have nothing to do with Windows 8, or even Microsoft, just to ensure that even people who had no intention of reading about Windows today are aware of what a terrible thing Microsoft has done.

Seriously? It's near impossible to find a thread where the same people aren't whining about Windows 8 repeatedly, and yes even in threads that have nothing remotely to do with Windows, Microsoft, or even computers. I'm probably not the only one who's sick to death of reading the same complaints over and over. Some like it, some don't. We get it already.

• Like 3

Seriously? It's near impossible to find a thread where the same people aren't whining about Windows 8 repeatedly, and yes even in threads that have nothing remotely to do with Windows, Microsoft, or even computers. I'm probably not the only one who's sick to death of reading the same complaints over and over. Some like it, some don't. We get it already.

Exactly!! Every thread about Microsoft/W8 has someone complaining in it about the OS. The only one that is clean at the moment is the thread I created about positive experiences but that thread is a bit dead now :(

• Like 1

whiners are always louder than the pleased ones... and i'm pretty sure a big portion of the winers NEVER used W8 for a moment, just judging after screenshots...

WTF! Do I live in some alternate reality where every ****ing remotely Windows 8 related thread on Neowin has people whining/moaning/complaining about it?

• Like 2

WTF! Do I live in some alternate reality where every ****ing remotely Windows 8 related thread on Neowin has people whining/moaning/complaining about it?

this!!!!

I think this is exactly what the OP is getting at - anybody who doesn't like it is just a "whiner" or "doesn't like change".

I don't like it. Not because the start button is gone or the start menu has changed (I loved the original Metro concepts and some of the first pictures released of Windows 8), but because it is such a half-finished mess which is little more than an attempt by Microsoft to muscle into the tablet market.

With changes it could be great. Microsoft seem to be too busy trying to be like Apple though and in the process have taken the quickest route to a tablet OS.

I'm anxious to load the final bits on my Acer W500 tablet. I'm still hesitant to load in on my main machine though. I'll give it a shot though.

I like where they are headed, they are trying to blend the user experience across numerous devices to a consistent one. I get it! The hard part is dumping something that I've used since my first PC running Win95.

Thats pretty funny. Or is it ironic.

Its a rather sad state of affairs that it is dead but Neobond did advise me not to make the thread until the RTM had been released on msdn and technet or else it would be forgotten about. I think I need to update the title and first post information to make it more relevant or appeal to everything helpful/ good about w8

That's funny because in every single windows 8 thread on here I see the same 2 or 3 people going on and on using the same reasons why everyone should think it's the next greatest thing ever made and none of their reasoning's even attempt to understand why people might dislike it.

I think it is the greatest thing BUT i dont disregard peoples reasons for disliking it. I just dont understand the endless 1 line posts saying modern ui has ruined it, I want the desktop back.....when it is still there. Thats the only sort of comment I dont like seeing.

Although mainly people who have said they dont like w8 have constructed very well put together arguments about why they dont like it which I respect but alot of these people are overshadowed by "modern ui is for nooobbbsss mmaaannnnn, warezz da desktop"

Exactly!! Every thread about Microsoft/W8 has someone complaining in it about the OS. The only one that is clean at the moment is the thread I created about positive experiences but that thread is a bit dead now :(

and you are surprised that a thread about positive Win8 experiences is dead? That's really funny, nothing needs to be said more about the situation than that :)

Some people don't care for what other people think about a new Windows release. Instead they either use the new version or stick to an older version or use something completely different.

Without having to whine on an internet forum about people liking (gasp) a piece of software the OP doesn't like (how dare they?).

and you are surprised that a thread about positive Win8 experiences is dead? That's really funny, nothing needs to be said more about the situation than that :)

Nah I'm not surprised it is dead, still though some of the peopls responses in it will be useful to someone somehow im sure lol

Its just common on Neowin, that if you dislike something (in this case Windows 8) you'll more or less be burned to the ground for having an opinion. Although these treads need to cease.

I think this is exactly what the OP is getting at - anybody who doesn't like it is just a "whiner" or "doesn't like change".

I don't like it. Not because the start button is gone or the start menu has changed (I loved the original Metro concepts and some of the first pictures released of Windows 8), but because it is such a half-finished mess which is little more than an attempt by Microsoft to muscle into the tablet market.

With changes it could be great. Microsoft seem to be too busy trying to be like Apple though and in the process have taken the quickest route to a tablet OS.

No, OP said there were only positive posts about Windows 8 which is certainly not true (I didn't miss the /s in OP but not sure what exactly is sarcastic in there).