Do you like or hate Windows 8?

The direction Microsoft took with Windows 8  

855 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the direction Microsoft took with Windows 8?

• Yes I love it, i'll be upgrading
    • No I hate it, i'll stick with Windows 7
    • It doesn't bother me
    • I will use Windows 8 with a start menu hack program

The desktop is evolving for end users, hence the pictures of old and new PCs.

Fixed. You really need to be more precise when referring to such a large tent then. If anything, I think the reduction in modularity is dangerous sign of stagnation, not innovation.

TCLN, I know PGHammer loves analogies so here's one. Metro2 is to power users what Mitt Romney is to the baggers. We will hold our noses and upgrade, merely because the alternative (Linux/BSD) is so nauseating to us. The other changes are good enough to not throw the baby out with the bath water for most.

Just ask yourselves one thing, there are tons of us that liked ME and Vista, have run every iteration of Windows from its earliest ruminations, yet THIS version put us on the fence. Why is that?

Your grand prophecies and crystal ball preaching of your deeply flawed gospel of windows 8 are quite humorous if not worthy of a strong belly laugh at times, the mouse will not be leaving us any time soon and the ones "that doesn't adapt to change" will not "eventually" die out as you have predicted, not at all, at least not until every last typical desktop pc is gone from the earth and replaced with touch screen devices which will be a very long time from now.

The average consumer who uses a typical pc will most likely just stay with 7 as their OS of choice, just as people stayed with XP when vista was released, or at the very least many people "upgraded" to XP when they bought a new pc with vista.

Regardless of the mass exodus to XP from vista (and rightfully so) microsoft still clung to their OEM sales numbers in a blatantly dishonest move to try and save face and show that vista was a success despite the proved fact that vista was a miserable failure from beginning to end.

Microsoft will do this again when "8" is released, we will see this a lot when the OS completely bombs on the desktop just as vista did, the real stats however will not lie, 7 and to a certain degree XP, will both dominate the desktop market for a long time to come, this much is certain.

I also predict that this time around microsoft will not allow an upgrade to 7 from "8" on new pc's that are sold with "8" pre-installed, they were embarrassed and humiliated the last time that happened, their grossly overblown egos in regards to "8" will try and avoid any egg on face this time around, even though the egg is already on their face and will prove difficult if not impossible to remove after all is said and done regarding "8".

You can have your crystal ball back Dot Matrix as I am finished with it, I cleaned it off really good and buffed it to a shine before I used it, that thing was filthy dirty, maybe this time when you use it your 'visions' will be a lot more clear and focused and not so cloudy and faltering as they once were.

Yep. You're right. Who am I kidding. Microsoft should just release XP SP4 and fold up shop. I can't wait till we're running the Enterprise on XP. I can't wait to point and click to fire torpedoes at the Klingons.

Hold on, I have to go into the Control Panel to raise shields.... *double click* Gimmie a sec... *click*.... and hold on... *click* :rolleyes:

Because this

and this

iron_man_2_holographics5.jpg

And even this

lcars3_op_800x600.jpg

Is just a bunch of bull****, right? Why have that when you can have a cluttered screen full of 32x32 icons to double click on? Right? Well get this, all those technologies shown above - are in some fashion REAL technologies, right now. They exist in some working fashion somewhere in a lab, being tested and built, and guess what happens after that? They are perfected and find their way into official use in military and civilian technologies, and they kick old habits and outdated methods to the curb. Yes, that means one day these technologies will regulate the mouse to the museum.

Still doubt my "predictions"?

I love how you only give Love and Hate options. This isn't a black and white argument you know.

That said, I find it interesting that despite all the "most people will hate it" arguments that have been flying around this and other forums, that 48.57% of people surveyed by this poll will be using Windows 8, with only 34.64% "hating" it, with a further 16.79% that aren't really bothered one way or another who will probably end up getting it anyway when they replace their PC next time around.

Well it's pretty much you're either neutral, you like it or you hate it. I put 'It doesn't bother me' for the neutral side. Maybe this could be more effective :)

• Yes I love it, i'll be upgrading
  • I kind of like it, I might upgrade. I'm just not too sure yet.
  • I'm kind of in the middle but I wanted to include a vote
  • I kinda don't like it, I probably won't upgrade.
  • No I hate it, i'll stick with Windows 7

/sarcasm

I basically gave either a like/hate/neutral option so the results showed a clear answer. You do have a good point though, maybe I should have included a separate poll with options asking if you will use it.

I finally got around to upgrading from CP to RP on my laptop and my opinion on Win8 remains unchanged (so far). If you have a (Windows) tablet or plan to get one when Win8 releases later this year, it will rock your world but traditional desktop users are still better off with Win7.

I mean sure there are still plenty of things there to entice desktop users to switch; like the insanely fast boot times, massively improved copying and many other under the hood changes but the overall UI just still feels heavily touch focused and feels so cumbersome using a mouse and keyboard setup to navigate.

Do I hate Win8? of cause not, it's a good OS and if I was on the market for a new tablet computer it would be a serious contender. However, as a traditional PC user I find the changes too radical and I'm not ready to let go of the mouse/keyboard just yet.

It's been very stable.... but I still don't care for the metro start screen. However the HDD it's on died so I can't play with it till I get a new one but it was even fast on a 5200RPM drive.

so colorkitty project is on hold for 2 more months.... :-( baww

oh well.

I am torn between liking it and not liking it. While I know they have to move in this direction due to computers being in the hands of the less-informed now, and due to smartphones showing the way towards ease of use. Certainly for those more technically inclined parts of Windows 8 (mainly Metro) just doesn't work.

I can use the interface fine, but there are areas where it is clunky and just not as useful, limited even compared to desktop version.

Also some apps seem to be intended to replace using a web browser, which may make sense on a phone or even a tablet, but on a desktop/laptop computer it provides far less options.

The charms again are a nice idea, however most users will use the mouse and not know keyboard commands, and in that respect the charms become a problem. They pop up when you don't want them, and are hard to activate when you do want them. Learning keyboard commands is precisely what I think Microsoft wants to avoid with the simplistic Metro interface, but that is in fact the easiest way to navigate on a desktop.

The one thing that annoys me more than anything is the lack of a clock in Metro, unless you activate the charms menu. I either have to use my phone or take time to get to the charms. There is no easy way to see it. Maybe a keyboard command, but should that really be necessary?

I love how easy it is to install apps and play full screen games. I like the lack of window borders and controls, makes a clean look (although it does make it more difficult to get into the "meat" of a program.

Perhaps Windows 8 will be like Ubuntu and Unity. Nearly universally hated until improvements could be added over the next couple releases. Although in MIcrosofts word that is too long a timetable and not acceptable.

The charms again are a nice idea, however most users will use the mouse and not know keyboard commands, and in that respect the charms become a problem. They pop up when you don't want them, and are hard to activate when you do want them. Learning keyboard commands is precisely what I think Microsoft wants to avoid with the simplistic Metro interface, but that is in fact the easiest way to navigate on a desktop.

The one thing that annoys me more than anything is the lack of a clock in Metro, unless you activate the charms menu. I either have to use my phone or take time to get to the charms. There is no easy way to see it. Maybe a keyboard command, but should that really be necessary?

I believe MS is working on emulating touch on a trackpad. So by the time Win8 RTM's, on a laptop, you just swipe from the right to get the charms just like you would do on a touch screen. For now you can also use Win Key + C to show the charms and clock

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised for a different reason, the attitude of "Swallow the changes because Microsoft are awesome" seems to be more common around here. The difference may be small but it's telling in my opinion, from what I can remember almost everyone here apart from a couple of XP diehards that hated 7 simply because it wasn't XP loved 7.

Actually, there isn't much of that attitude among the fans of Windows 8 on Neowin, and I certainly am not that way.

Way back before the Developer Preview, I actually DID try out both leaks (7850 and 7989) in VMs; however, they were basically Windows 7+SP1+ some Windows 8 features - the DP was the first Windows 8 build to get the bare-metal treatment. The first set of applications I tested with the Developer Preview were, in fact, the Win32 applications and games that I normally run on 7 - for precisely the reason that I was quite aware there would not be many WinRT apps at first. (I pointed out - in another post in another thread - that I followed the same tack with Windows 95 - for the same reason - lack of Win32 applications.)

The pleasant (and quite pleasant) surprise with Windows 8 is that, despite the radical UI change, most applications and games from Windows 7 Just Plain Work.

I actually really like Windows 8, the Metro start screen is really handy to me, I can access the apps and get a quick look at weather, I can tweet from the Twitter app in the Marketplace. I think this is a good step forward, technology is changing, and Microsoft is adapting pretty well honestly. Plus I still have access to all my Non-Metro applications as well.

Yes, I love it.. but I will only upgrade it onto my laptop.

if the Metro menu could be deleted I might consider upgrading me desktop aswell.

I just find it rather easy to work in when I am @ relaxed mode on laptop... @ pc I always need to be in the desktop enviroment.

I voted for 'it doesn't bother me'. I'm neither too enthusiastic about Win8 nor do I hate it for Metro and the like.

I believe MS is working on emulating touch on a trackpad. So by the time Win8 RTM's, on a laptop, you just swipe from the right to get the charms just like you would do on a touch screen. For now you can also use Win Key + C to show the charms and clock

How is that any easier than just swooping the mouse pointer around the corner? It's about the easiest thing to do with a mouse or trackpad ...

When I first started using Windows 8 I disabled the Metro theme in Windows 8 Developers Preview.Using the registry edit that was posted everywhere in the tutorials. And this gave you the Windows 7 desktop and start menu and also disabled the ribbon in Windows Explorer.

But then in Windows 8 Consumer Preview,Microsoft made it so you could no longer disabled the Metro theme. Of course I was very upset about this and I gave up on Windows 8 for a while because of this.

Then I found out from the other Windows forums that,although you could no longer disable the Metro theme in Windows 8 CP,several third party start menu software still worked on Windows 8 CP. That gave you the start button and Windows 7 start menu. So I decided to give Windows 8 another chance.

I am a Classic Shell user,but at first Classic Shell did not work on Windows 8 CP. So I used Vista Start Menu and Start Menu 7,which gave me my Windows 7 start menu and start button.

Then a few weeks later they updated Classic Shell to support Windows 8 CP,so I switched to Classic Shell. And then they made Ribbon Disabler for 32 bit Windows 8,previously it only supported 64 bit. Which disables the ribbon in Windows Explorer giving you the Windows 7 style Windows Explorer.

Then they released Windows 8 Release Preview and now I have upgraded to that. And the good news is that all of the start menu software that gives you the start button and Windows 7 start menu works in Windows 8 RP. And so does Ribbon Disabler,and Windows 8 RP is a lot more stable than Windows 8 CP was.

The fish is gone from the boot screen in Windows 8 RP and I liked that.As it reassured you that Windows was starting. Now we just have an empty black screen like on Windows 7.

But what is good about Windows 8 is that you can run all of your Windows XP,Windows Vista software as well as Windows 95,98,NT and 2000 software. As well as all of your Windows 7 software.

And we can now boot straight to the desktop in Windows 8 RP.by passing the Metro start screen,if we have Classic Shell installed. As the new version of Classic Shell released on Saturday enabled this. And maybe soon other start menu software,like Start Menu 7 and others may follow in making their software skip the start screen and boot to the desktop.

The Metro start menu is inadequate for mine and most peoples needs. As you still cannot create new folder and do other things easy like you can with the Windows 7 or Windows XP start menu.

To add folders or change something in the Metro start menu you would have to know the file path in Windows Explorer.which most people don't. But if you have a start menu software installed,you just right click on Programs in the Windows 7 or Windows XP start menu. And then click open all users and the start menu folder in Windows Explorer opens and you can add folders and shortcuts yourself. But the Metro start menu does not do this.

But if you have installed Classic Shell or other start menu software on Windows 8,you can easily get to your start menu programs folder. And then your new folders and new shortcuts will appear in the Metro start menu.

Windows is is the same as Windows 7,except for the Metro theme. Which I and most Windows users would rather disable. But in Windows 8 RP you can still no longer disable the Metro theme but you can add start menu software.Which I have done and so I have got my start button and Windows 7 start menu on Windows 8.

Although the Metro start screen has improved since Windows 8 CP,as in RP,you now have more choice of start screen colors. But you still need the Windows 7 start menu or I do anyway.

I am running Windows 8 on a netbook so the Metro apps don't work but you can use all of the non Metro software you run on Windows 7. And I have uninstall the Metro apps,yes you can safely uninstall them.

When Windows 8 RTM or the final version is released that will go out on sale to the public.I plan to install that on my netbook. But I am worried that Microsoft may change Windows 8 again. And make it so that Classic Shell and the other start menu software won't work on the final version of Windows 8.

If that happens I don't think I would upgrade to Windows 8 then.As I cannot work without my Windows 7 or Windows XP start menu.

Most people will be able to manage Windows 8 if they can use a start menu software like Classic Shell or Start Menu 7. And so removing the option to disable the Metro theme has had no effect on most people. As most people have installed third part start menu software to bring back the start button and Windows 7 start menu. Andrea Borman.

Sadly I can't vote.

I've tried it in Hyper-V but not really a good experience to be honest.

I wish it would work in Virtual PC though :(

But kowing Microsoft lately I think it'll be an excellent OS and somewhat different. I think that is why people hate it, because their incapable and don't like change (I am one of those people generally )

Love or Hate are too extreme for a sensible rating OP. Change the poll to accommodate for preferences in between. W8 for me so far have been a let down since the get go. Metro is a mess, its poorly thought out, irritates me downright to have to figure out simple things which can easily be made fluid and logical to achieve. The desktop in my opinion has gone backwards in the pursuit of Metro, definitely not forward. As a student I don't have money to waste, especially not on something which is as subpar as W8. I'm still trying to figure out what we as consumers are getting other than a few shallow changes here and there will metro and aero. W7 does all I need, provides the functionality I need.

I will pass on W8 completely, the excitement or anticipation is completely gone. I hope someone from MS reads this.... because they are making alot of stupid mistakes. So thanks for trying , but no thank you. Honestly, I can openly embrace and accept change when its for the better, but MS jumps around too much with what they have going on, they have no consistency or passion to build on what they have. It all a bunch of clueless changes for the sake of change.

I don't hate it, but I don't love it.... As a desktop user, I don't like the start screen, I don't like how Metro use my multi-monitor, I don't like the "split screen" in Metro (25%/75%).

But, Win8 does seem to be faster than Win7, the enhancement made to the desktop are quite nice.

In the end, I'll probably stick with Win7 and OS X on my Mac mini until Win 9....

this voting on like and dislike has no importance. those who are disliking today will start like in future, just it is a matter of time. do not throw it simply because of its user interface. think about the architecture. a quantum jump from old NT version to RT version. RT architecture has many advantage over NT but this is not the right place where we could discuss that.

I like windows 8 very much though i will face some problem as presently I am used to like windows7 but that is just matter of time. Once I will accustomed to use and discover the windows 8 I will certainly forget vista and windows 7. the same thing happened with me when I shifted from windows xp to vista and windows 7.

please remember that windows 8 is demand of time and no one wants to remain captive in time cage.

one more thing, I am not married with desktop? even if i am married then I will certainly divorce it in future. :laugh:

All I want to know is where the hell can I download some ringtones for this damn thing?!

In all seriouslness, I'm "used" to running Windows 8, but not loving it. They went forward in some aspects and backwards in others. They'll never do it, but if Windows 7 SP2 had all the improvements minus metro, that would be my ideal OS. Windows 8 is in my opinion, a trastition O.S. Windows 9 will probably be Metro fully realized. I wish they had continued to develop Metro in the background until then.

I wish they had continued to develop Metro in the background until then.

Who says they're not? I guarantee Windows 9 concepts are already on the board, and a dedicated team of developers are weighing options.

I don't hate Windows 8, but I won't be using it on my PC. Metro should've been for tablets & phones only, it has no place on the desktop!

Who says they're not? I guarantee Windows 9 concepts are already on the board, and a dedicated team of developers are weighing options.

What I meant was to delay Metro's integration with Windows until it was ready.

[bonus rant] Removing Disk Imaging because not many people used it...really Microsoft? You don't toss good features because they're under-used, you make people aware of their existence and show them examples of how the feature can be useful. They'll pull lazy crap like this and then put a ton of effort into making it seem like they care about consumer opinion by posting Video responses to questions about things like Hotmail, only to spend the majority of the video making excuses and committing to nothing.