Photo

Do you like or hate Windows 8?

windows 8 like hate microsoft poll windows 8 windows beta microsoft win8

• Please log in to reply
882 replies to this topic

Poll: The direction Microsoft took with Windows 8 (952 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the direction Microsoft took with Windows 8?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 thekim

thekim

Neowinian

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:57

Windows 8 has no chance for me. I skip Windows 8 and enhance my work on Linux systems. I do this since years and maybe I get the switch in a few years.

#17 Travelar

Travelar

Neowinian

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:06

Do I hate it? No. Do I like it? No.

I don't have any touch screen devices that will run it. On the desktop, it's not conducive of the way I work. I've been using Microsoft Products since DOS 2.0 and this is just isn't working for me.

#18 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:09

I hate Windows 8

threads.

In that case simply don't bother posting and ignore them in the future. Things can really be that easy sometimes.

#19 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:19

I'm in a "it's all right" mindset. Overall liking it, but needs a bit of tweakage/refinement in a few places yet.. although that may improve with the RTM build, have to wait and see what the final's like. (And I do like Metro overall.. just has a few quirks to work out.) My x86 based tablets will definitely be upgraded when it goes gold, desktop I'm 50/50 on that.. probably wait a bit (SP1?) for the kinks to get worked out. If it doesn't work out for me I'll just stay with 7, have been very happy with it.

#20 D.J.P

D.J.P

Thread Killer!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:22

For Me, Not liking Windows 8 and Microsoft's current UI direction.

8 Has it good points like others have pointed out, let down by the Start Screen & other metro stuff (window style, network pop-up list).

Will I upgrade: Only if I can kill Start Screen and other Metro stuff.

#21 drazgoosh

drazgoosh

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:23

I love Windows 8. I'm not limited by the Metro style start page. Much faster boot. Better features: copy/paste additions, new task manager, etc. Will definitely upgrade my Desktop PC when it's released. Might even buy a tablet.

#22 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:27

In that case simply don't bother posting and ignore them in the future. Things can really be that easy sometimes.

Or you could stop adding to the useless posts list and ignore a post that was in no way anything to do with you ?

#23 NgLife

NgLife

Neowinian

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:48

I hope the start menu back in windows 8 RTM :)

#24 AndyAmo

AndyAmo

Neowinian

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:15

The question for me seems to be; where is the "killer" app that might make Metro indispensable. None of the apps currently on the Start Menu seem of much value and that is why I end up continually flipping between Metro and Desktop. The Metro version of Internet Explorer looks the best of breed but the full screen, single task character of Metro seems a little retro on a Desktop. For me, the difference between a Phone/Tablet and a Desktop is that, on a mobile device I am only expecting to passively retrieve information, look up a reference, check the weather, read a book. On a Desktop I expect to do all that and then interact with the data in some way. Process data from multiple sources to discover new information. As far as I can tell Metro apps only fetch and present data. The environment does not seem suited for actually processing data in any way? Perhaps some clever so-and-so can develop the app that makes the Metro environment worth staying in, until then… Well I really like the snappy and responsive Windows 8 desktop but, for the time being I can find nothing useful about Metro.

#25 Som

Som

Neowinian

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:29

this will probably be the first windows i'll skip :(

#26 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:39

As a desktop OS I don't like it at all and see no point in it. As a touch tablet OS it seems very nice though.

Desktops and tablets are two very different things and they shouldn't try to unify one interface to fit them both.

#27 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:41

Or you could stop adding to the useless posts list and ignore a post that was in no way anything to do with you ?

I suggest you follow the first part of your own advice. ;)

As for Windows 8: Despite to what Microsoft and some people here advocate it's a release almost purely aimed at tablets. The way I see it offers very little advantages for desktop users, the Metro interface being more of a disadvantage especially to those who own larger screens or have a multi-monitor setup. Beyond that it's pretty much the same stuff wrapped in a new interface.

#28 daniel_rh

daniel_rh

Daniel R. H.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIV i9500

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:42

I like it, I don't love it... That said, I'm not running to update my desktop but my laptop could be a different story, and looking forward to buy a nice Tablet PC, a real one with real apps like Photoshop, full feature office, and x86/x64 proccesor

#29 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:42

I like that Windows 8 is removing device bias. I might buy a touchscreen just for it.

#30 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:47

Same applies to you too. He just expressed his opinion. You downright sound mad!