Spartacus: War of the Damned (Final Season!)

I disagree that it was anti-climactic. It started with various people shouting "I am Spartacus" in battles. I took that to mean that anyone can be Spartacus, a free man. The 2 main battles, Spartacus vs Crassus and Gannicus vs Caesar clearly show Crassus and Caeser losing their fights and only winning by their armies saving them. Spartacus gets stabbed in the back as he is about to kill Crassus and Caeser hides like a coward behind his soldiers while they beat down Gannicus. I think the finale brilliantly showed the cowardness and weakness of the antagonists. Spartacus died a free man and a small band made it away alive. Since history recorded that Spartacus' body was never found, I held a little hope that he escaped with the band but I think the series depicted him dying as a true hero.

I disagree that it was anti-climactic. It started with various people shouting "I am Spartacus" in battles. I took that to mean that anyone can be Spartacus, a free man.

I mostly took that as homage to the Stanley Kubrick movie.

Oh really? I never saw the Stanley Kubrick movie. I thought I read that the producers never even acknowledged the Kubrick movie. There may have been a scene like that in that movie but I think the intent here was either to confuse the Romans as to who or where Spartacus was or symbolic in that any man (or woman) could be Spartacus (a free person), meaning that Spartacus is a symbol and not a person. Maybe I'm overthinking it though. ;-)

Oh really? I never saw the Stanley Kubrick movie. I thought I read that the producers never even acknowledged the Kubrick movie. There may have been a scene like that in that movie but I think the intent here was either to confuse the Romans as to who or where Spartacus was or symbolic in that any man (or woman) could be Spartacus (a free person), meaning that Spartacus is a symbol and not a person. Maybe I'm overthinking it though. ;-)

There's no over thinking really, not got over the Gannicus scene yet :(

Yeah the Gannicus scene was gut wrenching. I would have rather seen him die in battle. To watch Caesar hide behind shields while multiple soldiers took him down angered me beyond belief. I took comfort in knowing in what awaited Caesar. ;-)

Yeah the Gannicus scene was gut wrenching. I would have rather seen him die in battle. To watch Caesar hide behind shields while multiple soldiers took him down angered me beyond belief. I took comfort in knowing in what awaited Caesar. ;-)

Yeah I shouted at my Telly, when they over crowded Gannicus I thought well he's done but at least his friend was there to wait for him in the after life

The fight for freedom didn't do anything, the Romans won without any real loss (besides nameless extras getting killed) and they definitively killed Spartacus.

I think that was the point. Men would rather die free than live as slaves. They could not have defeated Rome logistically.

• 4 months later...