What do you want from Windows 8 RTM?

Fixed multi-monitor function! Now, when I pin a Metro app to my second screen, and open the Starscreen on my main-screen, the app on the second monitor gets pinned on my main-monitor. Horrible bug. Also, when I pinned a app to the second screen, when I press the Windows button on my keyboard, the Starscreen opens on the second-screen as well. I don't want that to happen. I just want to use my second screen to pin a Metro app.

Also, love to see a streamlined UI. Now it's crazy! The Metro Controlpanel is useless, and it's hard to find the normal control-panel. Also, when you change the volume on the desktop, it looks fine, just like Windows 7. When I click the Wifi icon, all of the sudden a huge ugly bar enters my screen. This is not a streamlined UI to say the least. I want one concistent feeling and don't want to have the feeling that I work with two OS's at the same time, each fighting for their existence.

- Fixed weather live tile :p (worked in CP, not working in RP)

- Fixed Immersive IE (graphical glitches especially when switching between metro-apps)

- More sharp wallpapers

- Put logout into power menu, or put shutdown into the user-menu (It's strange for me that the logout, restart and shutdown are in different places)

- change all icon to metrostyle icon (not just the main computer, pictures, etc. icons)

- "create user" option in standard control panel, and a "remove user" option in immersive control panel

I want the whole system UI to be minimal. Icons and everything, only under a few to a hundred kb. It all loads fast, it's all been metro'fied, everywhere.

But still, there's nothing I actually want changed. I think it's great! I mean, I'm just a Web Developer who uses the taskbar way more than the start menu anyways. :p

In the Metro world you don't manage the files, the operating system does hence the reason why there is no file management tools that are available.

That's a good observation! I never thought of it like that. I would however, I would like a metro like app tile for Windows Explorer, but not the legacy app icon. Something like this perhaps.

post-447111-0-66544500-1338928203.png

I want there to be an option to completely do away with all the metro nonsense, a "desktop option", if you will.

Oh, and lose that ridiculous "charms bar"....

I know I know, fat chance.... I guess we'll have to rely on 3rd party options...

I want there to be an option to completely do away with all the metro nonsense, a "desktop option", if you will.

You have it already. It's called Windows 7. Like it or not Metro/Start Screen IS Windows 8. Windows 8 is a new platform for running Metro apps primarily. Desktop is relegated to be an app compat shell for legacy apps, and those complex UI apps not ported to Metro. Get used to it, or don't. It's up to you. Nobody is forcing you to buy this.

That said, Windows 8 is far from perfect. It has many flaws, but no more than say Windows 95 did (the last time Microsoft fundamentally changed the UI paradigm). For instance, the store insists on showing me non-English apps despite having the option to help me find apps in my language being turned on. The weather app tile not working, The photos app being unable to show photos stored on network drives even if that drive is in your pictures library. The inability to have a different browser default in Metro to on the desktop (I want Chrome to be my desktop default, and IE10 to be my immersive default, at least until Chrome for Metro comes out).

Also I realise that many of these issues are not problems with Windows, but rather the apps included with the RP. These are lagging behind the windows development for obvious reasons.

I think I can finally see why folders are on the way out - they're a departure from the reality that all of our files are just ones and zeroes, contiguously or otherwise spread out on spinning platters (SSD-folk excluded, of course). The hierarchical organization made sense back when search and indexing was primitive and underdeveloped, like back when the Web was AOL, Yahoo, and Altavista. I still remember Yahoo Groups, or something like that, where sites were organized hierarchically, and you'd browse to a site like Neowin by clicking on some sequence of links like "Communities > Forums > Technology."

Then actual searching came along, and at least search engines haven't been the same since, but the Desktop has kinda lagged behind. It is a little surprising if you think about it - a lot of people have completely different workflows for finding "bieber remix.mp3" online as opposed to finding "technical documentation 14662.docx" on their own computer - especially people from the days of XP, when hierarchical organization was still more or less the only way to go about anything locally. Now, file content can be indexed, and isn't that really what is important? It isn't the name or the place that we saved something that is actually relevant when we're looking for it. We want the content, and search - if powerful enough - eliminates the need for this fantastical overhead of where some file exists on our spinning platters.

Oh, as far as Windows 8 goes, I'd like for them to tone down the auto-Aero colorization, or make cool colors the dominant determinant of the window frame color. I'd like for them to continue working on performance. I think this issue is especially noticable since 8 is shipping with some apps, while Windows 7 shipped with almost nothing but the barebones OS. They should continue to work to improve the Music, Mail (IMAP!), Videos, and Photos apps.

I still think that they should include a quick and easy editing pane that allows users to set their own Start Screen background - simply apply a blur and desaturate in the appropriate areas - should be enough to fix most images. Of course, they need to include a feature that slaps the user should they still manage to create something ugly.

That was an interesting post. I definitely can see something like .mp3 management, which as long as you have correct metadata, every app in every platform will see it correctly in genre, title, date, etc, no matter the folder/file organization. But I think we're still very far from having something like that, some file management is eventually necessary.

In fact, I think tradicional file management isn't going anywhere. The explorer in Metro is the Skydrive app, I'm serious, I have my Windows Libraries synced with Skydrive.

No matter what Windows 8 PC/Tablet (friends, work, colleagues) I use in the future and even in Windows Phone, my files will be right there in Metro, and permanently synced everywhere. So yeah, Explorer in Metro = Skydrive.

You have it already. It's called Windows 7. Like it or not Metro/Start Screen IS Windows 8. Windows 8 is a new platform for running Metro apps primarily. Desktop is relegated to be an app compat shell for legacy apps, and those complex UI apps not ported to Metro. Get used to it, or don't. It's up to you. Nobody is forcing you to buy this.

Wow...!!! Brilliant insight, why didn't I think about that.

Thank you for your awesome contribution to this thread. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Guys.

Windows 8 is already in RC stage. There's virtually no way we're getting new/changed features now, the best we can hope for are bugfixes and cosmetic changes.

Actually, there's one feature they could expand - it's already partly in the RC (and it's present in the server version, AKA Windows Server 2012) - Windows PowerShell.

It's already in the Release Preview (Control Panel->Programs->Turn Windows Features On or Off) - so why not put a PowerShell prompt in the QuickTask power users' menu as well.

PowerShell is a scripting language that works in every version of Windows from XP to now; however, Windows 8 is the first *desktop* Windows to include it. (It's been included on the server side since 2003 R2 - complete with a separate prompt for it.)

Mainly just new Metro apps that are useful.

Complete overhaul of the desktop interface, new icons, etc. I believe this is coming.

Metro Explorer

Mostly just overall polish. Lots of minor things can be improved. The experience on Release Preview is pretty great already.

Of course, there are many new features that will need to wait till Windows 9. For a verson 1 product Metro UI is shaping up well enough.

The Metro Controlpanel is useless, and it's hard to find the normal control-panel.

Actually its as easy as in Windows 7. It just requires 2 clicks. Right click on Bottom Left corner to bring up power user context menu. Then left click on Control panel.

image%25255B30%25255D.png?imgmax=800

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

An option to turn the Metro UI off on my desktop computer that does not have a touch interface.

+1 ive been saying all along, a little choice would be great. It will never happen sadly, it would however be so easy to keep everyone happy with Windows 8. I mean lets be honest the desktop is going no where, as much as people here are raving its dead. Any real production apps like Adobe Creative Suite will ever have a Metro version.

+1 ive been saying all along, a little choice would be great. It will never happen sadly, it would however be so easy to keep everyone happy with Windows 8. I mean lets be honest the desktop is going no where, as much as people here are raving its dead. Any real production apps like Adobe Creative Suite will ever have a Metro version.

But when Windows 9 comes around, then what? If Windows 8 had given you the choice, and Microsoft took that away in Windows 9, we'd be back here having the same arguments. A paradigm shift is a paradigm shift, and if that's where Microsoft wants to go, then that's where they want to go. Nothing lasts forever.

<snipped>

MS added a LOT of a features to the Desktop, they are still supporting it and will support it for a long, long time. It looks like you don't know what you are talking about :/

Edited by Calum

The one thing that really bugs me is how some apps can't have wide tiles, only small ones. What if I want IE to have a large tile?

And the while unpinning tiles. On Windows phone, long-hold and the x is right there. In Win8, right click, move the mouse to the bottom of the screen, find the icon that says unpin. Too much effort IMO.

Otherwise, it just needs apps. and I need a tablet. That's all :)

Nothing lasts forever.

Quite right, and that includes microsoft's dominance in the desktop operating system market.

• Like 2

Quite right, and that includes microsoft's dominance in the desktop operating system market.

Lol. There isn't much of a desktop market left. You have a few AiOs, maybe one or two traditional setups, and that's it. The rest of the market is mobile devices such as laptops, transformers, tablets, and phones.

Lol. There isn't much of a desktop market left.

You mean other than the billion or so already in homes across this planet, right...?? :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You mean other than the billion or so already in homes across this planet, right...?? :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And how many of those are actually upgraded at each new release especially in the consumer space? Besides, I'm not talking about ones that might be in homes or businesses. I'm talking about the few remaining on the shelves at Best Buy and Walmart. Because I see more laptops and tablets on display at both locations, and it's no secret people are buying more of those today, than desktop systems when XP was popular.

Windows 8 is an OS for tomorrow that is making a clean break from the legacy systems still running XP or Vista. Exactly how iOS makes clean breaks from legacy iToys.