I love The Tower gang mission :D I must suck, as I keep getting killed. Got it down to the target but didn't see the last two Elite guards next to him :P

Just love running up the ramp and taking down the 1st guard before he has time to react :D

I love The Tower gang mission :D I must suck, as I keep getting killed. Got it down to the target but didn't see the last two Elite guards next to him :p

Just love running up the ramp and taking down the 1st guard before he has time to react :D

haha I just finished that one, I died a million times too. I finally got to the top without anyone seeing me and then messed up right as I was about to knock the guy out so he took off in a car and I had to spend 5 minutes chasing him down.

• Like 2

haha I just finished that one, I died a million times too. I finally got to the top without anyone seeing me and then messed up right as I was about to knock the guy out so he took off in a car and I had to spend 5 minutes chasing him down.

I died a few times on that mission. You have to kill the guy before you get near him though, if you get close to him even without being seen he escapes in the car regardless :p

I'd like this but it's not nice to make fun of this topic and the disabled...where the hell are his legs?! :s he looks like a penguin

LOL pat, you're awesome, you're even slower than me - took you three days to do the tutorial :D just go to the yellow marker on the map marked campaign, come on!

Haha, well I wasn't playing every day for 3 days. I just couldn't figure out how to get out of the ballpark, lol. I had the yellow marker but my problem was not being able to outrun the police. It turned out that I pad to place a waypoint where picked up the card then the map showed an area I had to get out of to escape the pursuit. I've gotten farther and have been taking my time. I really enjoy the game and the visuals are incredible.

• Like 1

Watch Dogs is the biggest new IP launch in the UK ever

Only GTA, FIFA, COD and Battlefield have ever sold more.

By Tom Phillips Published Monday, 2 June 2014

Watch Dogs has stormed to the top of the UK all-format charts and earned itself the biggest launch week of any new IP in the UK ever, beating previous record holder LA Noire's haul by more than half its sales again.

jpg

It prints money.

The open-world hackathon is Ubisoft's biggest ever game launch in the UK. Watch Dogs beat the publisher's previous peak for launch week sales - set in 2012 by Assassin's Creed 3 - by more than 17 per cent.

Overall, Watch Dogs is the 17th biggest game launch in the UK of all time. Only games from four established franchises - GTA, FIFA, Call of Duty and Battlefield - have ever sold more.

PlayStation 4 counted for the vast majority of physical copies and helped the PS4 itself to a 94 per cent increase in hardware sales over last week.

Mario Kart 8, meanwhile, turned up comfortably in second place. Nintendo's racer earned the company its biggest Wii U game launch in the UK to date, and the second best launch for a Mario Kart title ever in the UK.

Wii U console sales skyrocketed by a devilish 666 per cent this week, of which 82 per cent were the Wii U Mario Kart 8 bundle.

Last week's top dog Wolfenstein: The New Order fell to third place, FIFA 14 was fourth and Minecraft: PS3 Edition was fifth. Borderlands 2 re-entered the chart in 18th thanks to sales of the new PlayStation Vita version.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-02-watch-dogs-is-the-biggest-new-ip-launch-in-the-uk-ever

• Like 1

Playing on the PC with setting at high and then looking at videos from the consoles it's like night and day and my PC isn't even that new.   It's good that it's selling well, I'm enjoying it and I expect they'll do another one.  Maybe that one won't be hindered by having PS3/360 versions to worry about.

• Like 1

Haha, well I wasn't playing every day for 3 days. I just couldn't figure out how to get out of the ballpark, lol. I had the yellow marker but my problem was not being able to outrun the police. It turned out that I pad to place a waypoint where picked up the card then the map showed an area I had to get out of to escape the pursuit. I've gotten farther and have been taking my time. I really enjoy the game and the visuals are incredible.

Glad you're enjoying it, really a nice experience when you get to it. Remember that unless the mission says you have to stay hidden, actually walking up to guards and knocking them out or using other violent means makes things much easier...not that i'm endorsing violence against pseudo-Chicagoans.

Spider Tank could be my favourite vehicle ever

It's badass to be sure, but it's also the only trip i refuse to play cause it forces you to shoot civilians and cops...being set where it is i can't bring myself to do that. I have family in the Chicago PD and of course most of my close relatives live in that area, so it feels weird being told to destrory random cars. The others i can excuse, especially the Carmageddon one, cause you know, they're "demons" :laugh:

for the record, Alone REALLY REALLY sucks.  I mean, it REALLY sucks. 

Alone is nice! It's just like World's End haha, all you need is some modern art and it would be perfect. Let me guess, psychedelic is your favorite right? You just love those flowers, always knew you were a closet Nintendo fan :rofl:

LINK BELOW.

The one guy commenting at the bottom isn't me, but i posted this here because it's exactly what i think and what everyone i know in Chicagoland who has played Watch Dogs thinks. Good to great game, shame they insisted on placing it in a real place, and a touchy place that suffers from somewhat of an inferiority complex as it's rarely depicted in mass media, unlike NYC, LA, London, Tokyo etc. Even greater shame they clearly did not even try to make it reasonably accurate to the geography, topography, and iconography of the place (only the look and feel of buildings and streets is somewhat accurate).

Chicagoans are a sensitive bunch, and you don't want to make them angry. There's a reason building foundations in the Chicago area have the world's highest concentration of calcium :D

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-watch-dogs-a-love-letter-to-chicago-could-have-used-more-local-flavor-20140602,0,1559434.story

LINK BELOW.

The one guy commenting at the bottom isn't me, but i posted this here because it's exactly what i think and what everyone i know in Chicagoland who has played Watch Dogs thinks. Good to great game, shame they insisted on placing it in a real place, and a touchy place that suffers from somewhat of an inferiority complex as it's rarely depicted in mass media, unlike NYC, LA, London, Tokyo etc. Even greater shame they clearly did not even try to make it reasonably accurate to the geography, topography, and iconography of the place (only the look and feel of buildings and streets is somewhat accurate).

Chicagoans are a sensitive bunch, and you don't want to make them angry. There's a reason building foundations in the Chicago area have the world's highest concentration of calcium :D

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-watch-dogs-a-love-letter-to-chicago-could-have-used-more-local-flavor-20140602,0,1559434.story

I really am not being disrespectful - I wish I felt as passionate about where I live as you - but wow - so many panties in a twist! :)

I guess it should say "Based on Chicago - only that the details may be altered" :)

• Like 1

I really am not being disrespectful - I wish I felt as passionate about where I live as you - but wow - so many panties in a twist! :)

I guess it should say "Based on Chicago - only that the details may be altered" :)

Ha yes, people from the Chicago area are very local-minded and the demotion from second city to barely third has not been kind to the city of big shoulders. Watch Dogs is very off in many ways, but i still love it as a game, and am enjoying it.

As you mentioned, i was really expecting a disclaimer at the beginning, saying this is an alternate reality version and any similarities are coincidental etc. Alas there was none, surprising from the team of developers of various cultures and faiths - who makes sure to remind us of that diversity at every turn for AC games. My biggest gripe is that they lied - i don't care about the graphics, i care about street names. One of the first screenshots showed Aiden next to Congress Parkway. The actual game doesn't have a single street sign.

EDITS: the poster at the Chicago Trib article reminded me of an even bigger gripe. Ubi have outright messed with Chicago history, note the John Dillinger example. They've done this before of course with the AC series, like making it seem Connor was responsible for winning this battle, or saying Pope Alexander was a templar. But they did put the disclaimers in there and none of those were really recent history. Watch Dogs mixes the real and the made up so much, people from outside the area won't be able to tell the difference. That's wrong and misleading.

PALIN CORRECTIONAL FACILITY?! Loved that mission, it was really fun, but PALIN?! Who'd name anything after that lady in Chicago, the most donkey-centric metro area in the US.

Sorry for rambling.

heehee I can understand more now - thanks for explaining :)

I deffo feel they should have put a "based on Chicago but some facts have been altered to provide a better gaming experience. Any resemblance to real people or private buildings are purely coincidental" - and basically used the general street layout and main attractions as essentials - the rest, add it in.

All their marketing was "Play in Chicago and experience the thrills of the city" kinda thing which is somewhat misleading... as it is loosely based on Chicago..

• Like 1

LINK BELOW.

What, you have a whole series of books with the most awesome wizard ever set in Chicago.

Next you'll tell me that there isn't auld sunken chicago underneath the modern city where monsters live...

• Like 1

heehee I can understand more now - thanks for explaining :)

I deffo feel they should have put a "based on Chicago but some facts have been altered to provide a better gaming experience. Any resemblance to real people or private buildings are purely coincidental" - and basically used the general street layout and main attractions as essentials - the rest, add it in.

All their marketing was "Play in Chicago and experience the thrills of the city" kinda thing which is somewhat misleading... as it is loosely based on Chicago..

Thanks for understanding, Wild :)

Yeah all they had to do was put a disclaimer or go the Rockstar route and do a parody of Chicago, which would have been great. It's doubly weird because Ubi's own Driver San Francisco, which was much cheaper project i'm betting and had less manpower had very accurate map of a partial San Francisco, even though that one had no city interactivity. And indeed the advertising highlighted a realistic Chicago, spend more time in Chicago cause Los Santos is boring after two months...yeah right :D

What, you have a whole series of books with the most awesome wizard ever set in Chicago.

Next you'll tell me that there isn't auld sunken chicago underneath the modern city where monsters live...

Was seriously sitting in front of my PC for a good five minutes trying to figure out what you were talking about and then remembered the SyFy show and the books...yeah the Dresden guy, right? He'd probably make for a good character in a game, don't give Ubi any ideas. As for his Chicago, can't say, haven't read them and didn't really watch the show. No monsters that i know of in Lower Wacker and the many underground parking facilities the city has built and then kindly privatized to a company that makes Blume look like a saint. I think the parking rates are more monstrous than anything out of Grimm/Dresden and their type of universe.

I am trying to get into this game, and slowly am, but damn, it has been slow. I know the whole purpose of an open world game is to give the player the choice of what to do, but initially I felt overwhelmed. Even worse, the side mission stuff I did initially check out, I felt like I could not even come close to doing it without actually doing some missions in the game first, yet there they were. Not only open, but available to play.

For example I had only done the very first two missions, which were really not much more than a tutorial, and I stumbled upon a convoy side mission. Okay I thought, if it is open, it must be easy. Nah, it totally was not easy, and even worse, when i tried to quit out of it, it just kept putting me back to the start of that side mission, not where I last was before trying it. That's just not very good game design.

And all movement just felt super clunky. I guess I eventually adapted to it finally, but damn, clunky controls for sure.

So yeah, definitely not as excited as others are for the game. I actually regret purchasing it, and am forcing myself to try and eventually enjoy it so I do like it.

The

only thing I do like so far is opening up the towers or whatever they call it.

And ironically there has been zero combat so far.

It also does not help this douche Aiden is perhaps one of the most unlikable, lifeless main characters I have experience in a game in quite some time. He is the definition of boring.

Struggling to like it for real.

I think the only thing I've really enjoyed in the game is the chess games actually!  The AI is surprisingly smart.

If they wanted to make this game even more realistic.  They should've included the fun of using a ventra card!! Weeeeeeeeee!

• Like 1

I think the only thing I've really enjoyed in the game is the chess games actually!  The AI is surprisingly smart.

If they wanted to make this game even more realistic.  They should've included the fun of using a ventra card!! Weeeeeeeeee!

Most of the side activities are really good, the drinking game, chess, and cups are all good. Ventra card hahaha, yeah right! They couldn't even bother to put Miller's on Wabash, it's somewhere around Rush and Ohio according to this world :D

Finished, love the story!

It's indeed a better story than it's being given credit for, and I like Aiden.

To be honest I can't get enough of this game, it's really good, have moved on from the bad and mixed up version of Chicago they went for. At least I can shoot security and criminals without a guilty conscience...never cops though! (except the corrupt ones, which in Chicago, well, never mind...)

I'm from Chicago and I don't care that much that it's 1:1, I understand Ubisofts reasoning behind it.  The fact is you have to pay to use landmarks and or buildings that are iconic, they aren't going to spend that much on it.  It's always why GTA makes up cities, maybe Ubisoft should've done so but they were going for a bit more realism. 

That said, if it was more like the real city it'd be pretty huge, I wouldn't complain though, bigger open world the better but even as it is there's so much to do actually.  I'm only around 38% done overall.

Just finished the story here too, really enjoyed it :)

I shoot every single guard in the game that I can :P try my hardest to never shoot the police though, unless I'm about to do something I need to do and one of them is getting in my way :(

I'm from Chicago and I don't care that much that it's 1:1, I understand Ubisofts reasoning behind it.  The fact is you have to pay to use landmarks and or buildings that are iconic, they aren't going to spend that much on it.  It's always why GTA makes up cities, maybe Ubisoft should've done so but they were going for a bit more realism. 

That said, if it was more like the real city it'd be pretty huge, I wouldn't complain though, bigger open world the better but even as it is there's so much to do actually.  I'm only around 38% done overall.

If you do a fictional city but features carbon copies of iconic buildings do you not have to pay? The near-identical landmarks and buildings in Los Santos number in the hundreds.

If you do a fictional city but features carbon copies of iconic buildings do you not have to pay? The near-identical landmarks and buildings in Los Santos number in the hundreds.

nah, I don't think so because like you said they're "near-identical" not 100% spot on.  That's how ubisoft said it works anyways, which is why they have some things pretty close but not quite the same in Watch Dogs.

nah, I don't think so because like you said they're "near-identical" not 100% spot on.  That's how ubisoft said it works anyways, which is why they have some things pretty close but not quite the same in Watch Dogs.

Looking at LS compared to LA the effort is incredible. 

http://imgur.com/a/yaNP1

Looking at LS compared to LA the effort is incredible. 

http://imgur.com/a/yaNP1

You notice the minor changes that means they're clear I bet.  Nothing in those pics is 100% a 1:1 copy.