Will Win8/RT be the demise of android tablets?

I think the WinRT tablets will be the demise of Microsofts Tablet aspirations altogether. I don't think it will make a dent in Android Tablets or the iPad.

Obviously just my opinion so don't get butt hurt if you disagree with my opinion.

Win8/RT will do very very well if the prices are decent. So far it's not looking good though.

If they can stay around the pricing of an iPad, they will definitely have their place in the market. If not, it will probably just be a niche fad like a netbook.

At $1000+, people will buy a laptop instead.

At $800, people will buy an iPad unless the Win8 tablet has some extraordinary features.

At $600, it will sell like crazy.

What you described only applies to winRT which is why I think it will not do well.

With x86 you get a tablet and full laptop in a single device.... that's why I see it doing well even over 1,000.

Well it's been a year a half man.. give it a bit of time.. Android phones annihilated iPhone 2-3 years in.. not right away.. we've seen the same old nonsense how Android is dead (with phones) and then BAM, it became the most powerful and most popular mobile OS.

Actually if you put things in perspective Android tablets have done EXTREMELY well in a year and a half. They have taken almost 50% of the iPad marketshare.

As for your question, I think Windows 8 will be affecting iOS more than Android. Those who want closed up system but with different hardware and a slick Metro UI that's pretty original will dump iOS and go Windows 8.. and those who already have Android phones and apps and software have less need to go Windows 8 because they already have everything Windows 8 will do and more.

The only one who will lose in that case is Apple, not Android. Not to mention that same manufacturers will make Android and Windows 8 devices, while you'll still have one Apple.

You have to remember for a good 4 out of the last 5 years, the iPhone was only available on one carrier. That's what propelled the iPhone to power. The same carrier lock-in does not exist with tablets.

I think the WinRT tablets will be the demise of Microsofts Tablet aspirations altogether. I don't think it will make a dent in Android Tablets or the iPad.

Obviously just my opinion so don't get butt hurt if you disagree with my opinion.

Even though it's entirely baseless?

If you look at the latest statics it really sad state affairs for Android Tablets. They are losing market share at amazing pace. ICS itself is only 4 to 7% of the total Android market. The android market is fragmented to hell and back. Its going to get killed by Windows 8.

Even though it's entirely baseless?

I did clearly state it was just my opinion so don't get bent out of shape about it. If you believe otherwise you have nothing to worry about with regards to what I think.

I was seriously skeptical at first, but now IMO I think Windows RT will make a dent in android.

I did clearly state it was just my opinion so don't get bent out of shape about it. If you believe otherwise you have nothing to worry about with regards to what I think.

Just curious - do you really have the same opinion after everything Microsoft showed off today?

Given what we learned today about Microsoft Surface, I think it's pretty clear that Windows 8 is going to do extremely well on tablets.

Just curious - do you really have the same opinion after everything Microsoft showed off today?

Actually no. I did not expect Microsoft to release their own tablet and it looks to be very high quality. I thought they would stick to their more conventional releasing system where by they make the operating system and let other brands mess it up with poor hardware but now that they are actually releasing their own hardware my opinion has changed completely. I think they might have a legitimate shot with this.

Also I think the hardware looks fantastic very nice design.

I think it will be a tie.all 3 equal share

Agreed. Android tablets are slowly gaining market share and mindshare, and realize people are comparing current Android to something that won't ship in 5 months. We'll see what Android 5.0 brings, etc.

I think it will be a tie.all 3 equal share

I personally think it will be 50% (Android) 30% (Apple) 20% (MS) in the next 2-3 years after the dust settles and Microsoft will take away a share from Apple (especially if you can make new PRO Surface into a hackintosh).