Recommend Me A GPS

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• 8,551 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 18:55

If its dead within one year it's still within warranty. So... Why aren't you returning it to be fixed. And any electronic device can go bad, just because you have one that is dead does not mean they're all bad.

I find a bigger issue with the fact that every TomTom we have sold the last 1-2 years has been returned because they suddenly stop receiving satellite signals untill we download an update. Which is absolutely ridiculous. There is no good reason a gps should suddenly not find satellites because you haven't updated the firmware in the last few months. Especially when it happens when you are on a vacation and are about to head back.

I wouldn't bother them to send me a replacement because I don't want a replacement device goes dead on me again... so I get something else instead of Mio.. My brother had Mio as well but it went dead on him too... He got a Garmin instead.

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,494 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 31 August 2012 - 19:50

I wouldn't bother them to send me a replacement because I don't want a replacement device goes dead on me again... so I get something else instead of Mio.. My brother had Mio as well but it went dead on him too... He got a Garmin instead.

Why would your replacement go dead. You have a sample ration of "one" device and from hpthat you're inferring that 100% are bad. When every electronic device ever released has at least ~5% failure rate as standard.

By contrast, my Mio, before it got stolen lasted me years and was still better than the more expensive TomToms and grains I've tried. Better tunnel simulation, better maps(with upgrade iGo software instead of the pre iGo it came with) and unlike the more expensive "cheap" ones, it had tmc and Bluetooth.

Honestly, not having a token device replace on warranty for a repaired or replaced free one seems stupid to me. But then some people have more money than they need and just throw stuff away.

#18 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 31 August 2012 - 23:44

Google Maps app is really good though. I loved having it for my Virginia Beach trip and the real time traffic data was really nice. Made the trip so much smoother. I don't think it's hard to use at all. The routing engine was awesome and didn't derp up like my mom's Sanyo POS does all the time. The routing engine is the most important part, the GPS app can look pretty all it wants and if it can't route it's not worth a damn. Google Maps nav looks nice though. Also you get real time map data that's not dated. Also Google Maps actually responds to feedback and mapping corrections. Navteq and others that use thier data don't respond as quick.

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,494 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:57

Google Maps app is really good though. I loved having it for my Virginia Beach trip and the real time traffic data was really nice. Made the trip so much smoother. I don't think it's hard to use at all. The routing engine was awesome and didn't derp up like my mom's Sanyo POS does all the time. The routing engine is the most important part, the GPS app can look pretty all it wants and if it can't route it's not worth a damn. Google Maps nav looks nice though. Also you get real time map data that's not dated. Also Google Maps actually responds to feedback and mapping corrections. Navteq and others that use thier data don't respond as quick.

TomTom's live GPS' has better live updating than any google, most GPS' inf act updates theirmaps more often. As for routing, TomTom, Garmin and Mio all beat google hands down on that. except for the unfortunate thing with the GPS not receiving signals without an update after a While the tomTom Live GPS' also has full live traffic where supported, TMC , and community updated maps.

#20 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:02

Well the routing engine depends on the area as well.....

#21 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,475 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:05

I use my HTC Trophy 7 with the turn by turn app.

It streams the directions to my headunit (and thus to my speakers) and I can play music off the phone at the same time so that I have music with break in directions.

Also, the maps are always up to date and I can save an offline cache if I want to. Lastly, it's always with me. It's an enormous win win.

#22 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,683 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 17:03

So, side question. Does anyone know of an inexpensive 'GPS' positioner that can be added to a vehicle? Friend has kids without smartphones and they would like to monitor the vehicle remotely on the sly.

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,494 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 17:38

check if the insurance company provides them.

why on the sly though ? why not just tell them they're monitoring them ?

either way, I don't think GPS monitors and cheap can be in the same sentence. maybe those you can keep in your pocket when taking walks or taking photos. but those you have to recharge and dump with a cable regularly. and they won't record speeds and such.

#24 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,683 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 20:32

Don't need speeds, just position/time record (say every 15-30 min). Downloading the logs later would be preferable actually for their needs.

I don't agree with the 'sly' approach myself, but, not my kids.

#25 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,494 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 21:04

check photography sites, they usually have some cheap simple loggers. heck they give them away free with soem magazine subscriptions at times :)

#26 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,546 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 21:07

There are pros/cons to both solutions.. The nice thing about using a smartphone is that you have updated maps, traffic, etc. The bad thing is it eats through your battery, data plans are mostly limited now (although if you have Android, you can pre-cache on WiFi). I love using my Garmin, even though I have an Android phone. For me, it's much easier to use - the Garmin software is superb (even compared to all the other garbage GPS makers out there - TomTom, Magellan, etc.), the battery life is decent. The only downside is my GPS is old, and didn't have lifetime maps, so I have maps from 2010. For a pinch, the phone is great, but on long trips, it's always the Garmin.

These are my feelings spot on. I have the Nuvi as well and love it.

#27 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 21:19

my mom's gps unit and lots of them only have 2-3 hour batter life while my phone can last 8-10 hours with gps....

#28 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,494 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 21:23

that's because GPS units are designed to be used in cars, meaning they have power available all the time. they don't need expensive batteries.

Also I'd like to see the phone that can have the screen on with maps tracking your GPS location for 7-8 hours :p

#29 zeta_immersion

zeta_immersion

Neowinian Senior

• 3,206 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 21:27

Well, I've looked at basically everything out there on Amazon. 99% of them dropped the MP3 app. I have a Nuvi 350, which is awesome, but has an extremely small screen. The MP3 player pauses for any direction alerts as well as calls, then continues right on. No need to adjust volumes (i.e., turn down radio to hear GPS). I also get to hear what I want without a monthly fee, ads, or a DJ rambling on. It's pathetic they drop something so useful, yet keep the photo viewer.

My budget range is $300.00 for North America.

I also have the Nuvi 755t and I like it for the same reasons you mentioned above however it would randomly restart sometimes or shutdown. On occasion it would not find satellites (clear day, no clouds) .. but, when it works it works ... also, another issue with this is thinking I am in collector lanes although I am in express ... --- for those of you not familiar ... the GPS would think I am in 1st lane although I am actually in the 5th (and then some) ... quite the distance