Hotmail rebranding to Newmail

What a completely stupid name change...

I'm tryin to like this post 100 more times but I can't... yeah very stupid idea!! I've had my same hotmail addy for the last 15years!!

I'm tryin to like this post 100 more times but I can't... yeah very stupid idea!! I've had my same hotmail addy for the last 15years!!

They aren't renaming it to "Newmail".

I really don't care about the name, I just care if the service is good or not.

This makes me glad that I chose an @msn.com address.

(The hotmail suffix won't go away for existing users but I never liked it either).

Between @hotmail.com, @msn.com, and @live.com... I like @live.com the most.

This NewMail... why isn't this the interface for the Mail app on Windows 8? In any case, NewMail is obviously a placeholder. But many seem to be ignoring this - never miss an opportunity to bash Microsoft!

If Microsoft wanted NewMail, they would have purchased NewMail.com already. NewMail is obviously New(Hot)Mail.

For anyone who's saying Hotmail wasn't rebranded Windows Live Mail, it was.

When Microsoft moved to the Windows Live system, Hotmail was renamed to "Windows Live Mail". With it a desktop app was released called "Windows Live Mail Desktop". Because people are stupid and didn't know what happened to Hotmail (and the desktop client's name was too long), Microsoft changed "Windows Live Mail" to "Windows Live Hotmail" so they wouldn't have to deal with people not knowing it's still Hotmail. Around the same time they also rebranded "Windows Live Mail Desktop" to just "Windows Live Mail".

I think this also shows that they won't really want to move away from the Hotmail brand, people are used to it and won't really 'get' a different name. Everyone I know also still types hotmail.com to check their mail. I had been using mail.live.com since day one, personally.

What I am noticing in the more corporate world is that @hotmail, @live and @msn-addresses are just not done. If you want a free personal email address, you use Gmail or something from Apple (@me.com or whatever it is). They're pretty much the only email domains that are regarded as proper accounts. That might also have to do with how people tend to pick the most idiotic usernames for Hotmail while people usually just use their name for Gmail.

I don't get why its not:

Windows = OS's

Live = Cloud services/messaging

Bing = search/Ad services

XBox = Game/entertainment services

Office = Production/document management

It's a code name and certainly won't be the new name.

My guess would be 'Microsoft Mail' as name for the final product.

Then call it that from the get go. NewMail is just another ridiculous, pointless name change and has about as much hope of surviving as Hotmail, MSN, Live, Zune and Bing. Bing still here you say? Give it five years. The others are being obsoleted slowly, but surely. Pick a ****ing name and establish it with a product that people want to use FFS. Foisting the same turd under a different name only works for the short term. People are getting smarter about this stuff ya know. Where the hell would Windows, Office and Xbox be if they changed theirs names every time someone in marketing got a hair up their ass? Those three brands are successful, which is why they don't switch up the names. They need to examine, their web/media services, really pay attention to feedback and just make the improvements people want instead of making excuses via video responses and trying to fool people with re-branding schemes.

That might also have to do with how people tend to pick the most idiotic usernames for Hotmail while people usually just use their name for Gmail.

Probably a lot of truth to that. I don't think yourname@live.com is unprofessional, but ilovekitties69@hotmail.com certainly isn't professional. But neither is halo4ftw1337@gmail.com.

Then call it that from the get go.

This is a leak. It's only called NewMail internally. It really shouldn't matter what they call it internally. Bing was codenamed Kumo internally until it was released.

Probably a lot of truth to that. I don't think yourname@live.com is unprofessional, but ilovekitties69@hotmail.com certainly isn't professional. But neither is halo4ftw1337@gmail.com.

This is a leak. It's only called NewMail internally. It really shouldn't matter what they call it internally. Bing was codenamed Kumo internally until it was released.

If they have any brains, Microsoft Mail is the only legitimate name change option. As for Kumo, they might as well used it. Both Kumo and Bing are equally forgettable.

I also kind of wish they went with Skype as the encompassing brand for communication so Skype IM, Skype Call, Skype Mail

Skype - Communication

Office - Productivity

Bing - Search

Xbox - Media

Windows - Platforms

That really is the best way to brand things going forward and makes more use out of the money spent on Skype.... plus this new metro version kinda looks a bit like Skype anyways.

I still wonder how they are going to merge the accounts between Skype and ms... You know they want to get their new ms accounts working for Skype and Skype would want access to all those ms accounts. Really is kinda dumb how they are still 2 separate logins.

skype is associated with crashes and bugs and communication cutoffs.

Then call it that from the get go. NewMail is just another ridiculous, pointless name change and has about as much hope of surviving as Hotmail, MSN, Live, Zune and Bing. Bing still here you say? Give it five years. The others are being obsoleted slowly, but surely. Pick a ****ing name and establish it with a product that people want to use FFS. Foisting the same turd under a different name only works for the short term. People are getting smarter about this stuff ya know. Where the hell would Windows, Office and Xbox be if they changed theirs names every time someone in marketing got a hair up their ass? Those three brands are successful, which is why they don't switch up the names. They need to examine, their web/media services, really pay attention to feedback and just make the improvements people want instead of making excuses via video responses and trying to fool people with re-branding schemes.

NewMail isn't a name change. It's a freaking internal use placeholder name in product that's still in testing.

skype is associated with crashes and bugs and communication cutoffs.

That's still a more positive association than what hotmail is known for.... that email account that only exists for spam and constantly gets hacked.

Remember when Microsoft attempted to rename Hotmail during their last rebranding? They eventually gave into consumer demands and kept the name. I don't see them changing the name now.. considering all those @hotmail.xx addresses would be confusing.

somebody was smoking crack and came up with this. how it made it any further is wild. people dont like changing email addresses. the facebook intergration smacks of i wish i was like google...

I thought hotmail rebranding was called live mail or something?

It was, MS toyed with it but it didn't go down well with consumers I believe, so they compromised and called it Windows Live Hotmail instead. Hotmail has brand power (for better or worse) and screwing with it now will only confuse consumers. I think the Newmail name is merely a place holder and will be replaced with Hotmail in the final version. Although I guess they are still rebranding it in the sense they are now dumping the "Windows Live" branding from everything.