• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#31 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,674 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 08 June 2012 - 16:56

In my opinion "Hotmail" is an incredibly stupid name, so they'll be hard-pressed to come up with another name that's worse. But I think "Newmail" is a placeholder...at least I hope it is.

#32 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 10,691 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 08 June 2012 - 17:10

Is this.. Onion? A joke? Something really funny? April 1st? No?

Sigh.

Saw you said Onion, then I scrolled up real fast hoping the link was from the Onion... :(

I'm really hoping it's just a placeholder because this feels like zero thought went into it.

#33 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,195 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 June 2012 - 18:10

I call it SpamMail, since that's the only thing it's useful for

Not anymore so than any other mail service, including private domains.

#34 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,195 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 18:13

As for the newmail name. did anyone read the article and see that it will be offered as a new interface for hotmail, and users can still use the old hotmail. Did anyone stop to think that newMail will simply be the name of the new interface, while they have both of them.

They're not going to rename Hotmail to NewMail, they're probably not going to rename hotmail at all, it's the worlds most popular mail service by far, and last time they tried they got yelled at from everyone, and if they do, it's going to be Microsoft Mail.

#35 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,209 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 18:14

It's stupid to change the name, period. It's been Hotmail for years. People know it, why screw with it?

Newmail is a codename, but why rebrand? they change it to Live Mail a while ago technically

#36 statm1

statm1

Neowinian

• 990 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 18:30

Newmail is a codename, but why rebrand? they change it to Live Mail a while ago technically

Live Mail was the client. The website was technically Live Hotmail.

#37 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

• 12,944 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 18:38

What a completely stupid name change...

Rarely do you and I agree on anything, but this is one of those rare times. How many domain names are they going to give it? Hotmail, MSN, Passport, Live, Newmail? All have been (along with some others, I think) domain names you could choose from for your e-mail address from Microsoft. You can't get @passport.com or @msn.com ones anymore, as far as I can tell, but you used to be able to.

#38 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,673 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 18:42

Rarely do you and I agree on anything, but this is one of those rare times. How many domain names are they going to give it? Hotmail, MSN, Passport, Live, Newmail? All have been (along with some others, I think) domain names you could choose from for your e-mail address from Microsoft. You can't get @passport.com or @msn.com ones anymore, as far as I can tell, but you used to be able to.

Yep, I've still got an @msn.com email address that I use :laugh:

#39 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

• 12,944 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 18:43

In my opinion "Hotmail" is an incredibly stupid name

You don't know much about the origins of the name, do you? It was originally spelled as HoTMaiL (HTML), since it was among the first web-based e-mail services.

#40 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

• 12,944 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 18:44

Yep, I've still got an @msn.com email address that I use :laugh:

Same here. Never got an @passport.com one though (unless I did some time and never used it, which is possible).

#41 +Ryster

Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• 5,969 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:00

You don't know much about the origins of the name, do you? It was originally spelled as HoTMaiL (HTML), since it was among the first web-based e-mail services.

This.

I was about to come and make the same comment. The name is far from stupid, and actually makes alot of sense given the service's origins.

#42 Soldiers33

Soldiers33

Neowinian Senior

• 2,506 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:06

I hope its not changing. I hate the name but love the look cant wait to play with it.

#43 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,195 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:15

vecause passport was closed down, and changed to a microsoft only service for only their own products, and MSN isn't really used anymore.

#44 0nyX

0nyX

Posting from Apple //c

• 1,179 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:20

I really like Microsoft and their products but i have to admit that unification among their products is not their thing.

#45 Xerax

Xerax

Flashbomb

• 1,640 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:20

Its obviously a codename.