Photo

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 08 June 2012 - 16:28

The hardware

If something is a goal for me was that it was getting hold of a photograph of the PlayStation 4 itself, but this is sadly failed. The PlayStation 4 is still only on paper but a console for developers and only a select few people know how the device actually really look like. Sony also find it not necessary to the looks of the PS4 to share with developers, because here they simply have nothing. Of course, Sony then also a good point, but this is obviously bad for us.

What I have got is a very comprehensive document on the specifications of the PlayStation 4. Thus, the PlayStation 4 AMD Fusion APU get with the CPU and GPU sit together on the same chip. The code name for this chip is 'Liverpool' According developers would chip in "real talk" over 10x longer than that of the PS3 can. It would be a quad-core AMD x86 CPU running at 3.2GHz which contain the code name 'Steamroller' know. The GPU is an ATI r10xx at 800MHz with 1843 GFLOPS, this is code-named "Tahiti." This chip is also include on AMD Radeon HD 7970, both chips (CPU and GPU) are 28nm processors.

In terms of memory, there is much uncertainty with the PlayStation 4, as was the initial plan for Sony 2GB unified memory in the machine to stop. This is still only a point for discussion and developers ask whether this really can be brought up to 4GB, these choices are viewed by Sony. For comparison, the Wii you would to contain 1.5 GB of memory.

In terms of disc drive the PlayStation 4 will again be equipped with Blu-Ray, the space offers a Blu-Ray disc (50GB) is in fact still remains enough and so we use this technology. The back of the PS4 you will have a HDMI 1.4 port to put in and it will have a maximum output of 1080 and not the aforementioned 2048p.

In total, during the launch two PlayStation 4 are available, both are only equipped with a hard drive larger than 320GB. In terms of bundles, there are no concrete plans at Sony. What the exact difference between the two we do not know, but this is probably just the hard drive size. Also, the PS4 will have a special place for patches, OS etc this is stored on an internal 16 GB of flash storage.

http://translate.goo...pecificaties%2F

#2 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 08 June 2012 - 16:33

Oh noes, it's a scouser! Decent sounding specs though.

#3 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 08 June 2012 - 16:40

i really hate rumors and speculation.

in any case, i think Sony would be wise to at least support higher-than-1080p resolutions

#4 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 June 2012 - 18:01

i really hate rumors and speculation.

in any case, i think Sony would be wise to at least support higher-than-1080p resolutions

You're not gonna see adoption of 4k in the home within the next 6 years, not to any meaningful degree thta makes it worth the cost. It also wouldn't realistically with todays tech have the power to run next gen games at 4k anyway.

#5 suprNOVA

suprNOVA

devSquad

• Phone: Galaxy Note III

Posted 08 June 2012 - 18:05

Oh noes, it's a scouser! Decent sounding specs though.

Are you kidding!? The HD 7970 represents our team under Rodgers my friend! :p

#6 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 08 June 2012 - 18:16

You're not gonna see adoption of 4k in the home within the next 6 years, not to any meaningful degree thta makes it worth the cost. It also wouldn't realistically with todays tech have the power to run next gen games at 4k anyway.

i didnt necessarily mean the games had to run at 4k - but some support would be nice. kind of like the PS3 supports 1080p, but [most] games run at 720p

keep in mind, too, that the PS4 probably wont come out until 2014... then Sony is going to make it another "10 year console" pushing it into the next decade. i sure as hell hope 4k is the standard by then...

#7 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 08 June 2012 - 18:27

Those are surprisingly good looking specs, except for the possible 2GB of memory. If they adopt 4GB then that will be a very fine gaming system and about as large a step forward in performance one could have expected.

... assuming, of course, a timely release. 2014 would make it already quite behind the curve. :/

#8 scratch42069

scratch42069

Neowinian

Posted 08 June 2012 - 18:32

Am I correct in thinking PS4 will be cheaper at launch with these specs than the PS3 was?

#9 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:07

i didnt necessarily mean the games had to run at 4k - but some support would be nice. kind of like the PS3 supports 1080p, but [most] games run at 720p

keep in mind, too, that the PS4 probably wont come out until 2014... then Sony is going to make it another "10 year console" pushing it into the next decade. i sure as hell hope 4k is the standard by then...

Like the PS2 and PS4, the console has a 10 year lifecycle, but it'll be replaced after 5-6, this generation has been surprisingly long. I wouldn't expect the next one to be as long at the rate technology is advancing and the rate the price of technology is dropping. withing 5 years, they'll be able to have a new console that can play all the games from the previous gen and be many times as powerful for the same price.

#10 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:09

Those are surprisingly good looking specs, except for the possible 2GB of memory. If they adopt 4GB then that will be a very fine gaming system and about as large a step forward in performance one could have expected.

... assuming, of course, a timely release. 2014 would make it already quite behind the curve. :/

4 times the amount of the PS3, don't think of memory in the PC sense. consoles don't have those limitations. and technically since the PS3 doesn't have unified memory you could effectively say it has 8 times as much.

#11 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:10

Am I correct in thinking PS4 will be cheaper at launch with these specs than the PS3 was?

Should be just because Sony isn't wasting money on a dead end processor(for console gaming and the purposes they intended. great for other purposes)

#12 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:19

4 times the amount of the PS3, don't think of memory in the PC sense. consoles don't have those limitations. and technically since the PS3 doesn't have unified memory you could effectively say it has 8 times as much.

4 times the amount of the PS3 isn't that much for a 7-8 year gap, and for a platform that's supposed to set the standard for another who knows how many years. Game dev is limited by console specs so the higher the better. Crytek was hoping for 8GB and they know their stuff. You can ask any engine dev at EA, Ubi they will tell you the same thing.

As for unified memory , developers used 100% of the PS3 memory all right, making it unified will simplify programming but doesn't magically make you able to load twice bigger levels, more enemies, larger textures etc.

#13 helios01

helios01

Neowinian

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:50

It will be hard to do backwards compatibility if this is true. On the bright side, Sony could probably sell this for half the price of a release PS3 when it releases.

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:56

4 times the amount of the PS3 isn't that much for a 7-8 year gap, and for a platform that's supposed to set the standard for another who knows how many years. Game dev is limited by console specs so the higher the better. Crytek was hoping for 8GB and they know their stuff. You can ask any engine dev at EA, Ubi they will tell you the same thing.

As for unified memory , developers used 100% of the PS3 memory all right, making it unified will simplify programming but doesn't magically make you able to load twice bigger levels, more enemies, larger textures etc.

Yeah, developers were hoping for more back then to, and they did fine with what they got, remember consoles need to be affordable. and even if the parts only cost a little bit more, every little bit adds up.

And yes, it actually does let you load up larger textures, since it lets the graphics card access all of the memory faster at once. as it once it needed to switch back and forth a lot of things. and the cpu couldn't use the graphics memory at all. which is rarely necessary, but sometimes useful.

#15 scratch42069

scratch42069

Neowinian

Posted 08 June 2012 - 19:57

Should be just because Sony isn't wasting money on a dead end processor(for console gaming and the purposes they intended. great for other purposes)

Good to know. Price was the factor when PS3 launched for me. It was out of my league and I went with a 360 instead. Even though I find the specs a bit underwhelming for a console expected to launch in 2014, I will probably get it if it's priced right.