Photo

Pentium 4 and Windows 8 compatibility

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 mikee286

mikee286

Neowinian

Posted 08 June 2012 - 23:51

I am trying to get windows 8 release preview installed on an old rig which is a p4 2.66 ghz 1gb ram 200gb hdd and geforce fx5500 video. however windows 8 setup (small program you download from ms) says the processor is not compatible with windows 8. Did they jack up the requirements further than whats on their site or what is happening here?

#2 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 09 June 2012 - 00:05

*Pentium

#3 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 June 2012 - 00:12

well you might be trying to install the X64 version of windows and your CPU dont support 64bit it is not a 64bit CPU so try the 32bit version X86 download

#4 +Brandon Live

Brandon Live

Seattle geek

Posted 09 June 2012 - 00:50

Does you CPU support NX? If it does, is it perhaps disabled in the BIOS?

#5 OP mikee286

mikee286

Neowinian

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:23

it was the upgrade assistant that told me it wasn't compatible. I would try installing it with a flash drive and see what happens but the computer doesn't support booting from usb I dont think and I don't have any blank dvds

(edit)
32bit says cpu not compatible

c'mon MS you jacked up the requirements too much I heard it doesnt even have aero anymore and they go and make the requirement too high I mean tablets haven't even broke the 2ghz mark yet so I don't see how there will be any win 8 tablets

sorry just a rant but this is such a fail on microsofts part

#6 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:35

While your computer should technically support Windows 8 it has to be said that your system is woefully underpowered and simply won't give you a good computing experience, regardless of the performance improvements made since Windows 7. Even as a secondary system it's not worth it.

I wish you luck in trying to fix your issue but it's probably best you don't bother.

#7 subcld

subcld

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 720 + 520

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:55

Don't select upgrade option
do fresh install it will work

#8 OP mikee286

mikee286

Neowinian

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:27

^^ i didnt even get to that part the adviser before setup even began said processor not compatible. It has to be a glitch or this is the most bloated version of windows to date

#9 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:30

c'mon MS you jacked up the requirements too much I heard it doesnt even have aero anymore and they go and make the requirement too high I mean tablets haven't even broke the 2ghz mark yet so I don't see how there will be any win 8 tablets

Microsoft has stated the system requirements will be the same as Windows 7, which means a minimum CPU speed of 1GHz. Regardless, you fail to take into account that most tablets will be using dual or quad core processors - many with hyper-threading - and their architectures perform a lot more actions per cycle than your dated Pentium 4. A modern tablet will easily outperform your system, at a fraction of the power and size. Further, it's immature and unhelpful to refer to Microsoft as 'M$', which was passé over a decade ago.

Is it possible that the warning about your processor relates to the adviser itself and not to Windows 8's minimum requirements?

#10 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:37

fx5500 - you mean NVIDIA FX 5500? Like that really old thing that is older than history itself? Is that thing even supported on Windows 7?

#11 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:53

^^ i didnt even get to that part the adviser before setup even began said processor not compatible. It has to be a glitch or this is the most bloated version of windows to date

It has nothing to do with processor speed. There are additional processor technologies that your processor does not support.

Your processor doesn't support:
Physical Address Extension (PAE), No Execute Bit (NX), Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2)...

Windows 8 isn't bloated. Your processor is simply really really old.

http://ark.intel.com...che-533-MHz-FSB

#12 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:53

I would seriously consider owning something (note: *anything*) manufactured in this decade before persuing Windows 8 for a worthwhile experience.

#13 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:00

fx5500 - you mean NVIDIA FX 5500? Like that really old thing that is older than history itself? Is that thing even supported on Windows 7?

According to the nVidia website, no. Even so it was one of the first DX9 cards and didn't even fully support the specification. However, that won't stop Windows 7 or Windows 8 from running - it simply means they won't be able to run Aero / hardware accelerated rendering. I have installed Windows 8 on a laptop that doesn't meet the minimum graphics requirements and for the most part - aside from being a bit sluggish - you don't even notice; however, you can't run the new Solitaire (lol). As I said, although it may technically run it's certainly not recommended.

#14 Motoko.

Motoko.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:01

What did you intend on putting to use with this old thing, OP?

#15 subcld

subcld

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 720 + 520

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:05

ignore the adviser as i said burn iso to dvd and install it if you want