Photo

Pentium 4 and Windows 8 compatibility

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#16 Phemo

Phemo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:25

It's a 10 year old CPU (released in August 2002) and you're surprised it won't work with a modern operating system? A 10 year old machine should not even be attempting to run today's software.

#17 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 11

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:31

It's a 10 year old CPU (released in August 2002) and you're surprised it won't work with a modern operating system? A 10 year old machine should not even be attempting to run today's software.

To be fair it could probably handle most daily tasks fine, Office 2010 would run perfectly on it. A P4 2.66 is not amazing compared to what we have today, however for a general Office / Internet PC i dont see anything wrong with it. Heck add a new ish cheap-o graphics card it could play blu-ray's fine.

#18 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:33

There's a whitepaper from MS explaining the CPU support requirements in Windows 8: http://msdn.microsof...e/hh975398.aspx

Simply put, forget installing Win8 on a P4 system without support for the NX bit.

#19 Phemo

Phemo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:35

I agree, it probably is still moderately capable of many tasks, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to cope with much more than basics and I don't see why there's any surprise that a modern OS appears to be incompatible with it. There comes a time when support for old hardware must end in order to progress.

#20 Mike Frett

Mike Frett

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:08

He's looking for help and all you guys do is come in here and tell him to upgrade, or bash him for no other reason other than to satisfy your own supremacy. None of you ever give thought to maybe he has low income. I would tell him to just use XP, for Windows. But then you guys would come in and bash about a great and not even unsupported (yet) OS.

So he is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't. Here is your advice OP: Roll Linux on that rig, Lubuntu to be exact, It's going to do everything you need for that particular machine and it's Modern. You will not have to feel forced to upgrade every time Microsoft tells you to upgrade. For others: Don't bother posting if all you have to contribute is to make the OP feel low and satisfy your need to be a Troll, and I'm not coming back to read abusive comments projected at me, if you got something bad to say about me, meet me somewhere.

Hope you get that system running to your expectations OP.

#21 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:09

It's incompatible because your processor doesn't support execute disable (XD) bit.

EDIT: Cleaned

#22 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:14

it was the upgrade assistant that told me it wasn't compatible. I would try installing it with a flash drive and see what happens but the computer doesn't support booting from usb I dont think and I don't have any blank dvds

(edit)
32bit says cpu not compatible

c'mon MS you jacked up the requirements too much I heard it doesnt even have aero anymore and they go and make the requirement too high I mean tablets haven't even broke the 2ghz mark yet so I don't see how there will be any win 8 tablets

sorry just a rant but this is such a fail on microsofts part

The old "Aero Glass" theme is no longer being made default, or it might not be included entirely anymore, I'm not sure. But all the hardware acceleration is still there in Win8. That hasn't changed since Vista.

#23 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 09 June 2012 - 15:18

To be fair it could probably handle most daily tasks fine, Office 2010 would run perfectly on it. A P4 2.66 is not amazing compared to what we have today, however for a general Office / Internet PC i dont see anything wrong with it. Heck add a new ish cheap-o graphics card it could play blu-ray's fine.

Yep.

OP's problem is not as much perceivable performance of the CPU, but what CPU can do. Old Atom netbooks for example are single core and slower if used by old applications for example, but they support WAY past SSE2 and they support HyperThreading and thus can outperform his CPU in applications which utilize SSE2+ and are properly multithreaded.

#24 Daniel_Pooh

Daniel_Pooh

Neowinian

Posted 09 June 2012 - 15:24

Leave your PC at the curb for some crack head bums to play around with the parts. You can get a modern PC for like $100.

#25 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 09 June 2012 - 15:30

Leave your PC at the curb for some crack head bums to play around with the parts. You can get a modern PC for like $100.

He's looking for help and all you guys do is come in here and tell him to upgrade, or bash him for no other reason other than to satisfy your own supremacy. None of you ever give thought to maybe he has low income. I would tell him to just use XP, for Windows. But then you guys would come in and bash about a great and not even unsupported (yet) OS.

So he is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't. Here is your advice OP: Roll Linux on that rig, Lubuntu to be exact, It's going to do everything you need for that particular machine and it's Modern. You will not have to feel forced to upgrade every time Microsoft tells you to upgrade. For others: Don't bother posting if all you have to contribute is to make the OP feel low and satisfy your need to be a Troll, and I'm not coming back to read abusive comments projected at me, if you got something bad to say about me, meet me somewhere.

Hope you get that system running to your expectations OP.

#26 mikeyx12

mikeyx12

Neowinian

Posted 09 June 2012 - 15:37

According to the nVidia website, no. Even so it was one of the first DX9 cards and didn't even fully support the specification. However, that won't stop Windows 7 or Windows 8 from running - it simply means they won't be able to run Aero / hardware accelerated rendering. I have installed Windows 8 on a laptop that doesn't meet the minimum graphics requirements and for the most part - aside from being a bit sluggish - you don't even notice; however, you can't run the new Solitaire (lol). As I said, although it may technically run it's certainly not recommended.

The FX5500 does work in Windows 7 with Aero, using the Vista driver, but with transparency enabled it's slow. Other than that, it works fine.

#27 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 09 June 2012 - 15:48

I love this thread, I'm just wondering if he'd have got slightly less or more bashing if he was asking with help on how to install XP on it....

#28 blade1269

blade1269

Jesus Saved me! A Christian!

Posted 09 June 2012 - 16:17

ignore the adviser as i said burn iso to dvd and install it if you want

+2

#29 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 09 June 2012 - 16:19

ignore the adviser as i said burn iso to dvd and install it if you want

There's a whitepaper from MS explaining the CPU support requirements in Windows 8: http://msdn.microsof...e/hh975398.aspx

Simply put, forget installing Win8 on a P4 system without support for the NX bit.

It's not going to work, Windows 8 will not install on a system without the CPU support requirements. See the white paper.

#30 ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 09 June 2012 - 16:22

It's not going to work, Windows 8 will not install on a system without the CPU support requirements. See the white paper.

Perhaps one day, people will read and pay attention to links that people like you post. "Perhaps" being the key word. :D

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!