Photo

SGS3 or iPhone 5?

android ios6 samsung galaxy s3 iphone 5

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Poll: SGS3 or iPhone 5?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

SGS3 or iPhone 5?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 44MLX

44MLX

Neowinian

• 713 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:53

Hello everybody,

I'm looking to buy a new mobile phone contract in the UK. Haven't decided yet whether to wait for iPhone 5 or order the Samsung Galaxy S3. I was wondering if you guys have an idea on which phone I should choose. I know the next iPhone may take months to come out but I got time to wait, not really in a hurry.

Also wondering if iPhone 5 features/hardware would be better than the Android Quad-Core processor in the SGS3?

Thanks to those who contribute.

#2 Manish

Manish

Neowinian Senior

• 1,538 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:14

:rolleyes: Honestly, it's just so silly to ask for a comparison between the SGS3 and the sixth generation iPhone right now for obvious reasons. It's even more ridiculous since we have absolutely no idea what you're looking for in a smartphone.

I doubt anyone on Neowin knows exactly what the new iPhone will have in terms of hardware and exclusive iOS 6 features. If you say you have time, just wait until Apple announces the new iPhone to compare the two aforementioned devices. Meanwhile you can read up on Android and iOS, as well as their respective new updates, and have a play with the SGS3 and iPhone 4S in-store.

#3 Digitalx

Digitalx

Antz007x

• 9,156 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:17

Galaxy s 3 it does everything the iphone does and will do + more and it's already out. And no the iphone won't be better hardware wise it'll be equal to or lesser since up till now they've essentially both used the same hardware.

#4 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• 10,729 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:34

Argh...
Thought the poll was about my personal choice...
Voted iPhone hence.

I'm on the mobile site so I can't edit my vote atm...

I'd say wait and see.
Also maybe tell us what you wanna do with your phone, what kind of user you are, have you already bought into Apple's ecosystem, what are your preferences, what technical aspects do you require...?

There is no right or wrong unless we know what you're into. :/

Glassed Silver:ios

#5 Robrad

Robrad

Neowinian

• 44 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:41

I hate these kind of polls but here's my two cents:

Either you go ahead and purchase the brand-new, very awesome looking Samsung Galaxy S3 or you wait for WP8 lineup (that's what I would do if I were you).

#6 morden

morden

microsoft enthusiast

• 933 posts
  • Phone: NOKIA Lumia 920

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:33

other: anything with windows phone on it rather then either one... but if i have to choose iphone5 is the winner; i wouldn't touch anything android even with gloves on

#7 adiaga

adiaga

Neowinian

• 314 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:43

you should touch android. Iphones are for people that dont know what they can do with the phones. They have so many limitations that is ridiculous.

#8 GuJu

GuJu

Neowinian Astronomer

• 2,573 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 21:23

wait for the next iPhone and weigh your options accordingly.

#9 Wyrdstorm

Wyrdstorm

IT_Dogsbody

• 189 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 16 September 2012 - 00:29

The IPhone is a complete joke, look at the features between the IPhone5 and the SGS3, quite clear which wins, plus android is not locked down to hell...IPhones are for n00bs who dont know what they are doing !!

#10 ambiance

ambiance

Identity Thief

• 1,933 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 00:47

I'm partial to Apple, but you can't go wrong with either as they're both great phones. Just don't succumb to the eternal ****ing contest.

#11 Melfster

Melfster

Neowinian Senior

• 1,640 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 00:58

I was surprised how much faster then Iphone 5 feels in comparison to the S3

#12 ShMaunder

ShMaunder

Neowinian

• 1,045 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 16 September 2012 - 00:59

As you haven't listed what features you want then I recommend the Nokia 3330:

The Nokia 3330 sports a wide range of enhanced features perfect for the mobile lifestyles of today. You can surf the mobile Internet with the WAP browser, personalize the phone with cool animated screensavers, use chat messaging for fast conversation with friends and take part in all kinds of fun activities. With the built-in WAP browser of Nokia 3330, you can get almost anything you want - you just have to know where to find it. And thanks to the WAP browser, finding what you want is easy. Want to buy some cinema tickets? Order a pizza? Or maybe you want to check out the city guide to find out what's happening in town? No problem! With Nokia 3330, mobile life is a sure thing!

You can order pizza with it!!! :fun:

In all seriousness, its very well documented the advantages of the two systems and phones. I will say Android because its a (mainly) open source operating system and its pretty fun to mess about building ROMs etc. so therefore the S3.

#13 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• 3,718 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5 PA 4.4.2 / iPhone 5

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:02

The IPhone is a complete joke, look at the features between the IPhone5 and the SGS3, quite clear which wins, plus android is not locked down to hell...IPhones are for n00bs who dont know what they are doing !!

Yeah thats just it. Some of us Technologically advance people that have iPhones are all morons. Im sorry that i dont like having a ****ty plastic samsung phone. Hell samsung is doing a better job with windows phone, the ATIV S all wrapped in aluminum.

I would honestly get the HTC One X(right now), One X+( hopefully announced on the 19th) or Nokia Lumia 920, or iPhone.

Build Quality + OS. Because the truth is, if you get an Android Phone, support is ****. So youll end up learning how to root and flash so you can use ICS, Jelly Bean and any other OS Releases vs's being stuck with what you get for the life of your contract / phone.

#14 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• 1,746 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:11

I'd get an Ativ or Lumia to be honest. That's SGIII technology without Android.

#15 NextGen_Gamer

NextGen_Gamer

Neowinian Senior

• 1,600 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:31

Instead of blinding screaming either Apple or Android, I thought a break-down might help you out.

OS - This is obviously very subjective. iOS still has a huge advantage in terms of overall smoothness and ease of use, while of course Android has lots of user customization features. However, the smoothness should hopefully be address by Samsung's upcoming "Jelly Bean" update. I own a Nexus 7, and I can say without a question that I wouldn't even touch a Android device that is not running "Jelly Bean." The difference is night-and-day between "JB" and all previous builds of Android. Hopefully Samsung doesn't screw-up their "JB" build too badly with their atrocious TouchWiz skin. I'm not just picking on Samsung there either: all Android skins are pretty awful, from non-Blur to TouchWiz to Sense. LG's is the only almost acceptable one.

Screen - If you want a big screen, then obviously the Galaxy SIII wins. The iPhone 5 does retain other advantages though: higher pixel density and (far) more accurate color reproduction. Glare should also be much better on the iPhone 5 as well due to its in-cell touch panel. So if you use your phone outside quite a bit, you could possibly count that as a plus.

Processor - Stateside the iPhone 5 beats the Galaxy SIII hands-down, but the international Galaxy SIII comes with Samsung's own Exynos 4 Quad. So four Cortex A9 cores versus two custom Cortex A15-derivatives. While the cores themselves in the iPhone 5 are more advanced, having four older ones running at the same (or higher) clockspeed would still give overall more CPU performance. The GPU in the iPhone 5 though will handily beat the Exynos 4. However, I'm not sure if that matters much in the world of Android. I still have yet to find any graphically intensive games in the Android Marketplace (excuse me, Google Play now) that come anywhere near to titles like Infinity Blade on the iPhone.

Battery Life - I would expect this to a tie between the two. Moving on.

Camera - I'm not a photographer, but considering most websites still put the iPhone 4S ahead of the Galaxy SIII in image quality comparison tests, and the iPhone 5 is better still, then this category should be an Apple win. iOS 6 adds a couple capabilities that use to be missing, such as panorama shots and taking pictures while recording video. Camera quality is possibly the strongest feature of Apple's no-longer flagship iPhone 4S actually. It looks like Nokia is going to give them a run-for-their-money with their Lumia 920 though (fake demos notwithstanding) and I eagerly await to see who comes out on top in that head-to-head battle.

Build Quality - I would think most people will agree with me here the iPhone is unsurpassed in terms of pure build quality. The anodized aluminum in the iPhone 5 is just in another league compared to the glossy plastic in the Galaxy SIII.

Durability - I thought this needed a separate category from build quality. While the iPhone 5 will no doubt feel and look much nicer, I also am pretty sure it will (still) break far easier than the Galaxy SIII. If you drop your phone a lot, then this should definitely be considered.

Price - Couldn't comment on UK prices, but here in the States this would be another tie. $199 for either the iPhone 5 or Galaxy SIII with a contract renewal, with a slight difference in off-contract prices: $599 for the Galaxy SIII and $649 for the iPhone 5.

Hopefully I helped you a bit!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!