SGS3 or iPhone 5?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. SGS3 or iPhone 5?

I can verify that once you remove all of Samsungs garbage software, and run an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) Build, Which means it is not modified by the manufacturer it is stock android. Android 4.1 is Amazing on this device (Samsung Galaxy S 3) It takes a phone that was already very quick and very smooth and makes it better.

I can verify that once you remove all of Samsungs garbage software, and run an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) Build, Which means it is not modified by the manufacturer it is stock android. Android 4.1 is Amazing on this device (Samsung Galaxy S 3) It takes a phone that was already very quick and very smooth and makes it better.

Not picking on you Neutrino or saying you have ever said this, but Android users jump on the iPhone users all the time and say "you have to jailbreak it to make it a good phone".. but you are saying the exact same thing about the Android device itself.

Not picking on you Neutrino or saying you have ever said this, but Android users jump on the iPhone users all the time and say "you have to jailbreak it to make it a good phone".. but you are saying the exact same thing about the Android device itself.

Sort of, Yes, I am saying that Manufacturers modifying Android is the biggest problem with Android. If you leave it alone in the state that Google has provided it Android is Amazing and can do many amazing things. However, when manufacturers such as Samsung, Motorola, HTC and so on. Start messing with Android putting their own launchers on it and changing things. Android starts to become unstable and starts needing more and more system resources just to run. Where as if you are running Stock Android it uses less system resources and can better utilize the resources provided by the hardware itself.

Whereas with iPhone, it is only manufactured by Apple and therefore is always a stable sleek OS. and the opposite is true. When you hack it you start to make it unstable.

As far as hardware is concerned the GS3 is better hardware than the iPhone 5 it just comes down to who has the better interface and features that a user wants.

but.. if Android manufacturers quit modifying android to suit their needs, then what makes them different? Why would you need to buy a Samsung over a HTC, or Sony, LG, or Motoogle. Specs? Nope.. Specs wouldn't matter anymore if it was all the same, you said that yourself.

We all know the best Android phone out is the Nexus and its been out for what almost a year now? The Galaxy Nexus came out in October I think? Anyways like you said yourself thats what makes iPhone better, because you don't need the fancy specs because you don't have Fragmentation of hardware or anything else. All parts are made to just work together around the OS, not the OS trying to work around 50 different CPU's or modems, or ram chips,etc.

I voted for iPhone 5 because it probably will get better battery life than the SGS3 (probably). Either phone would probably serve your needs just fine.

I haven't personally used Android as a phone, but my fiance uses Android and I have friends that do. "Stock" from the manufacturer iOS and Android are about the same. Jailbreaking or rooting either platform brings you functionality outside of what manufacturers or service providers want you to have, and in that regard they are about the same as well.

I wouldnt say the Nexus is the best phone, It was for a while, but not anymore.

I will agree to a point that iPhone has one thing better than Android (in my opinion dont want to start any fights) in that there is no fragmentation in hardware (or at least not much due to phone versions not manufacturers and specs) When an application is released it will just work rather than having to specify devices like Android apps do.

But i will stick with Android as I like the customization and ability to modify everything about my phone. I had an iPod Touch (1G) so i have a bit of experience with iOS and i simply dont like it. Not much of a reason but i just did not care for it.

but.. if Android manufacturers quit modifying android to suit their needs, then what makes them different? Why would you need to buy a Samsung over a HTC, or Sony, LG, or Motoogle. Specs? Nope.. Specs wouldn't matter anymore if it was all the same, you said that yourself.

We all know the best Android phone out is the Nexus and its been out for what almost a year now? The Galaxy Nexus came out in October I think? Anyways like you said yourself thats what makes iPhone better, because you don't need the fancy specs because you don't have Fragmentation of hardware or anything else. All parts are made to just work together around the OS, not the OS trying to work around 50 different CPU's or modems, or ram chips,etc.

It would be nice if a manufacturer would stand up in the crowd and differentiate themselves from others by only including stock Android on their devices. I bet a lot of users would flock to them over the other manufacturers.

I voted for iPhone 5 because it probably will get better battery life than the SGS3 (probably). Either phone would probably serve your needs just fine.

I haven't personally used Android as a phone, but my fiance uses Android and I have friends that do. "Stock" from the manufacturer iOS and Android are about the same. Jailbreaking or rooting either platform brings you functionality outside of what manufacturers or service providers want you to have, and in that regard they are about the same as well.

My battery life is generally about 28 or so hours on a charge. which rather a bit of usage each day.

while software modification is the biggest thing i hate about Android. Sadly it is a neccissary evil. If each manufacturer did not modify their ROMs then there would be no competition and that would make the market stagnate very quickly. Each manufacturer tries to add features that they believe the customer is going to want and that the other companies do not offer. However, they just need to start doing a better job of it and not bloat the OS like they do now. There are even a few phones (Casio G'Zone Commando) that the garbage they put on it prevents the phone from operating properly. After the 3rd update for the phone one of our users was then unable to use the phone at all (and it was still the same release version of Android) they simply added more bloat to it and it killed the phone.

It would be nice if a manufacturer would stand up in the crowd and differentiate themselves from others by only including stock Android on their devices. I bet a lot of users would flock to them over the other manufacturers.

Well thats what Samsung did with the Galaxy Nexus, and it wasn't a HUGE success because at the time of release it wasn't the fastest phone out there and again most people only care about specs.

My battery life is generally about 28 or so hours on a charge. which rather a bit of usage each day.

Any smartphone that gets a day is probably OK. My fiance's biggest complaint about her android phone is the battery life. I swear she is tethered to the wall with that thing. My usage on my 2yo iPhone 4 gives me about 36 hours (take it off the charger one morning and put it back on the charger tomorrow before I go to bed). I've never worried about not having enough charge on the battery in my phone. Newer Android phones are better, but it will be hard for the newer Android phones to compete on my own personal experience with the iPhone when it comes to me buying a new phone sometime next year. What probably WILL make me go with Android is price. I'm looking to buy an unlocked phone next year, and iPhone is just way too much unlocked and new. Meanwhile The Galaxy Nexus is $350 for an unlocked GSM phone... so it may come down to the dollar for me.

...or I may just hold onto my iPhone 4 until it completely stops working and Apple won't repair it for a reasonable amount.

My best friend owns an Samsung Galaxy S III. Personally I think the build quality is terrible and it's designed after an amorphous blob. The plastic seems incredibly cheap, there's just no premium feeling about it. Same goes for Samsung's messy TouchWiz interface.

If I had to choose between the Samsung Galaxy S III or iPhone 5, I'd go for the iPhone 5. Personally I'm getting the Nokia Lumia 920 though.

The SGS3 has a higher capacity battery and as far as I'm aware comparing the battery life rating for each Apple and Samsung, the SGS3 lasts longer, but obviously we won't know until the iPhone is released and someone actually benchmarks them.

Also, rooting is different from Jailbreaking. Jailbreaking gives you root access but allows you to install third party apps that are not Apple approved and make modifications. On Android, you can install applications without the Google Play store by checking the unknown sources options not to mention you alter the UI with different launchers easily. Root access gives you access to the file system and make more changes.

From a stock perspective, you get a lot more freedom with Android than you do with Apple.

My best friend owns an Samsung Galaxy S III. Personally I think the build quality is terrible and it's designed after an amorphous blob. The plastic seems incredibly cheap, there's just no premium feeling about it. Same goes for Samsung's messy TouchWiz interface.

If I had to choose between the Samsung Galaxy S III or iPhone 5, I'd go for the iPhone 5. Personally I'm getting the Nokia Lumia 920 though.

Interesting when you say premium quality, I'll agree with you that the iPhone has a nicer build to it but judging from previous iPhones releases, it seems to be easier to actually break the phone, especially when the excessive glass usage is involved.

Edit: I forgot, the good thing about Android is the UI can be changed with different launchers. Though, if you wanted to get rid of the framework you would need to root the phone,

Well thats what Samsung did with the Galaxy Nexus, and it wasn't a HUGE success because at the time of release it wasn't the fastest phone out there and again most people only care about specs.

Google has to partner up with manufacture a Nexus device. One does not just make a Nexus device :no: It may not be the fastest, but it definitely is still one of the best Android phones you can buy today, simply because it's a Nexus device. You are supposed to receive software updates quickly (except for Verizon Galaxy Nexus :angry: )

The SGS3 has a higher capacity battery and as far as I'm aware comparing the battery life rating for each Apple and Samsung, the SGS3 lasts longer, but obviously we won't know until the iPhone is released and someone actually benchmarks them.

Keep in mind the SGS3 also has to power a much larger screen...But, let's wait for the iPhone 5 to come out before we draw any conclusions for battery life. I simply just don't believe manufacturer's battery claims. Everyone's usage is different, so YMMV...

Go for Lumia 920 if you are working in a Windows based ecosystem or look for an iPhone 5 in a OSX ecosystem. Either ways you will love what you get.

Samsung's build quality is just not worth the money IMO, if you need Android go for HTC One X .

P.S. - The plus side of going with Android is that people who don't know you very well will not call you iSheep. Personally I could care less as nothing beats Apple as far as my needs and wants are concerned.

if you wanna tweak and play around with your hardware (your an e-tinkerer) then its Android all the way. I moved from blackberry to a Galaxy Note earlier this year and Im sold totally on both Samsungs phones but also Android.

The Galaxy SIII is beefier than the note and my notes pretty quick. Im sure you wouldnt regret it.

Wee tip go to Phones-4-U, theyll take your old handset and give you a cash payback there and then (I got ?75 for a BB Pearl II, chipped top corner and dust getting into the screen), and the models they stock are not carrier locked ;) (mines an International Note) Which means Android OS releases are quicker and a cleaner device, no carriers fluff to bog it down. ;)

And your point is? It's still an Android superphone from HTC.

His point is that it's an old phone. Nobody is going to pay $199 for a 6 month old phone when they can get the latest and greatest for the same price.

And your point is? It's still an Android superphone from HTC.

But in the US, it's identical hardware to the SGS III, so it doesn't matter. It means Samsung was late to market. The One X and SGS III are still the top Android phones on the market right now. Granted OP is in the UK, which in that case I'd rather have Exynos than Tegra 3, but the SGS3 is too cheaply built, pentile screen, gimmicky features that I'll replace with AOSP, etc. One X > SGS3 imo.

His point is that it's an old phone. Nobody is going to pay $199 for a 6 month old phone when they can get the latest and greatest for the same price.

None of that comment makes sense. First, it's not really an old phone, but 6 months is a while in technology, I'll give you that. No one has to pay $199 since it's $99. And there would have to be something newer and better, which there's really not, to beat it. The SGS3 and One X are THE two superphones of Android right now.

Sure they are. Just look at the iPhone ;) I mean the 4/4S...This phone released with ICS, and is getting JB, so there's nothing outdated about it (hardware or software). The SGS3 is right there with it, in terms of updates.

Galaxy s 3 it does everything the iphone does and will do + more and it's already out. And no the iphone won't be better hardware wise it'll be equal to or lesser since up till now they've essentially both used the same hardware.

Oh lord. What a crock.