Wii U details - Infographic

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 June 2012 - 23:25

They said that it will cost at least $250, possibly more as they don't intend on making a loss on each console sold like Microsoft/Sony did.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was $299 and the gamepad $100-125.

Ok they already stated the Gamepad comes with every Wii U as it is the main Gamepad for the unit and that ther would be no option to buy one separate they made that clear @ E3 if i am not mistaken so if it is $$250 or 299 it is the console and Gamepad for one price How dumb would it be if all ya got was the Console and no type or form of Controller specialy for the ones who are going Nintendo for the first time in along time who dont have any other compatible controllers at home .

#17 OP compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:06

I doubt I'll buy one at launch. I usually like to let a few months go by and see people's reaction to the system and find out if there are any hardware issues.

#18 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:28

Ok they already stated the Gamepad comes with every Wii U as it is the main Gamepad for the unit and that ther would be no option to buy one separate they made that clear @ E3 if i am not mistaken so if it is $$250 or 299 it is the console and Gamepad for one price How dumb would it be if all ya got was the Console and no type or form of Controller specialy for the ones who are going Nintendo for the first time in along time who dont have any other compatible controllers at home .

I never said you wouldn't get one with it, I was just estimating the price because the console supports two of them.

#19 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:58

Another underpowered Nintendo console. The problem this time around is that the Wii U just hasn't got the same accessibility that made the Wii a huge success. It was fun trying to convince parents and grandparents to try out Wii Bowling - even then it was sometimes a challenge trying to teach them. I just can't imagine older parents or grandparents wanting to try out the Wii U.

Everything depends upon the price. However, while I'm sure it will be popular with young children I just don't see it being a credible alternative to the likes of Microsoft or Sony.

#20 +OOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOO

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 June 2012 - 13:08

Final nail in Nintendos coffin, I say.

Not sure you realise this, but Nintendo have sold almost twice the number of consoles that Microsoft have sold in this current generation lol. They've also made more profit per machine since day one than any other manufacturer of consoles. If you think Nintendo is in a coffin, you're literally dropping that from your backside :D

#21 +OOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOO

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 June 2012 - 13:11

Another underpowered Nintendo console.

Looks plenty powerful enough for me. You're probably one of the guys who ranted on about how awesome the FMV was in PS One games .... graphics don't have to be realistic all the time. The titles that Wii U has been shown with so far look beautiful. Rayman for instance is hands down the most beautiful video game I have ever seen in my life. It's full of superb artistry, deep imagination, and superbly smooth painted 3-dimensional environments. I can assure you, no amount of processing power can make that better than a great art team can. The tech in the background clearly doesn't need a 12 core beast with 16gb Ram. That's a prime example of a game with graphics that can shut up silly little comments like "it's not powerful enough".

#22 BoredBozirini

BoredBozirini

Bozrini Tringuini

Posted 14 June 2012 - 17:07

Doomed to fail before it was even born.

#23 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 June 2012 - 17:31

Not sure you realise this, but Nintendo have sold almost twice the number of consoles that Microsoft have sold in this current generation lol. They've also made more profit per machine since day one than any other manufacturer of consoles. If you think Nintendo is in a coffin, you're literally dropping that from your backside :D

Yeah but Nintendo posted their first annual loss of $460million. The Wii is losing steam and the Wii U is going to cost at least $250, I think Nintendo are in real trouble by 2013 the next-gen consoles will be announced and it leaves the Wii U looking relative to how the Wii looked compared to PS3/360.

#24 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 June 2012 - 17:43

If I recall correctly, they have enough money to continue making consoles that flop until I'm an old man...

I have no interest in the Wii. But it's far from a business flop. Nintendo sold lot of it and it's damn cheap to make unlike the XBox 360 and PS3. Nintendo still sells lot of first party titles.

#25 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 June 2012 - 17:52

Yeah but Nintendo posted their first annual loss of $460million. The Wii is losing steam and the Wii U is going to cost at least $250, I think Nintendo are in real trouble by 2013 the next-gen consoles will be announced and it leaves the Wii U looking relative to how the Wii looked compared to PS3/360.

It's actually a 500 millions something lost i think. But it's less than Nintendo expected. I think Nintendo expected close to 800 millions lost somewhere in january. So things might be going better lately. Nintendo is still far away from the coffin. it is defintately not on the road to success though. But it will take more time. Nintendo could very well do like Apple did.

#26 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 14 June 2012 - 17:58

First loss in 30 years... which means they have plenty in the bank still then saved up for rainy years like this :p But the 3DS has healthy sales now and is alone expected to keep Nintendo in the green for the first half of the year - let alone when the WiiU comes out where they'll be the first to the market with a new console, and selling it a profit (was the Wii also not sold at $250?). And that's going to be considerably cheaper AND easier to develop for than anything Microsoft or Sony are going to come up with when they do bring their machines to the market, which isn't looking too likely for making Christmas next year.

Also, it has the Wii name, uses the Wii controllers, can actually play Wii games, and costs the same was the Wii did when it launched. There's a lot of value to that in the market.

#27 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 14 June 2012 - 19:14

I have no interest in the Wii. But it's far from a business flop. Nintendo sold lot of it and it's damn cheap to make unlike the XBox 360 and PS3. Nintendo still sells lot of first party titles.

Didn't say it was, what the hell... My point was that they aren't going to die anytime soon, in regards to the comment being made about this being the "final nail in the coffin".

#28 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 September 2012 - 22:47

Another underpowered Nintendo console. The problem this time around is that the Wii U just hasn't got the same accessibility that made the Wii a huge success. It was fun trying to convince parents and grandparents to try out Wii Bowling - even then it was sometimes a challenge trying to teach them. I just can't imagine older parents or grandparents wanting to try out the Wii U.

Everything depends upon the price. However, while I'm sure it will be popular with young children I just don't see it being a credible alternative to the likes of Microsoft or Sony.

Being underpowered could be an advantage. While some devs are fed up with the limitations of the PS3 and 360, others are aprehensive about working on the next gen ones. Development costs are already pretty insane, as are development times. I guess we'll see what DX11/12 and whatever Sony has in mind provides, along with engines like UE4 to make that easier on devs, but the Wii U is a known quantity.

#29 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

Posted 08 October 2012 - 23:55

Actually I think that's the issue - it's being setup as a credible alternative to the likes of MS and Sony and can actually do pretty well as that, it is actually a pretty credible hardcore gamers' console. The problem arises when the hardcore gamers will adopt the other next-gen consoles in 2014 and Nintendo is left with "last-gen graphics", as the supposed hardcore (read: silly kids playing cod) gamers say. Then the depressingly large majority of "hardcore" (read: silly kids) gamers will move on to those consoles and it only leaves the actual proper hardcore gamers (the ones who have been gaming for 15/20+ years) and a small handful of kids who love playing Mario. The casual crowd Nintendo got with the Wii will need a hard-sell on the Wii U I predict. Given Tegra 5 will be out by 2014 and probably putting out graphics on par with the Wii U (contrary to what the media says, Tegra 3 doesn't cut the mustard compared to this generation of consoles, which in turn the Wii U outperforms), and reasonable-priced tablets that can do very similar Wii U-type games (after all, it won't be hard to connect a tablet to an HDTV and just put out Wii U games) it's going to be tough for Nintendo in 2014.

I'll probably be there buying (or already bought more likely) a Wii U by that point because I'm a massive sucker for Nintendo franchises, but it still makes me wonder about the true longevity of the Wii U - and I can see the tablet/mobile SoC market being a bigger problem for Nintendo then Sony/MS.

#30 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 09 October 2012 - 00:11

So how does the motion work, you have to fling that 10 inch tablet all over the place or what?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!