New PlayStation 3 super slim? "Never say never," says Sony

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 13 June 2012 - 00:50

With PS4 one year away, this may seem kind of pointless. Unless, they don't plan to do BC on PS4 and want to keep selling PS3s past PS4 release.

PS3s will sell past PS4 release. The same way PS2s sold past PS3's release.

#17 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 14 July 2012 - 13:26

The images depict a pretty interesting device that is designed with a ridged top, fairly curved and indented front, and oval-shaped bottom. The bottom of the console which will act as the stand in some instances is quite bizarrely shaped and doesn’t look like it "belongs" with the rest of the console. In some ways the design is sleek, but – judging by the images at least – it’s a bit too peculiar for my taste.

Design opinions aside, the filing also confirms three new PS3 models: The CECH-4011A, 4011B, and 4011C. The FCC filing leak from last week suggested that the device sported a CECH-4001x model number, so this certainly seems to be legitimate. Tecnoblog reported that at one point, the Brazilian filing included a letter that specifically noted the A, B, and C models were to offer 160GB, 250GB, and 500GB of storage, respectively.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, as you can see, it’s pretty clear that Sony has a new PS3 revision in the works. But, when will they announce it? Rumors have suggested that it will make its debut at the gamescom conference that takes place in Germany at the end of August. So, is it worth the wait? Beyond the obvious – aesthetic changes and perhaps cooling improvements – the PS3 will undoubtedly have similar/the same performance as existing models. But, if you don’t urgently need a console, perhaps it will be worth the wait. And if you really don’t need a console anytime soon, perhaps you can hold it out until the next-generation PlayStation is released, supposedly sometime in 2013.

Sauce: http://tecnoblog.net/107348/novo-ps3-anatel/

#18 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 14 July 2012 - 18:08

Not keen on the top design, looks weird, hopefully better in person

Posted Image

#19 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 July 2012 - 18:10

doesn't look all that slim to be honest, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

#20 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 July 2012 - 18:12

How much do decent blu-ray players fetch for these days? If this is true and comes out rightly priced I might pick one up.

#21 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 July 2012 - 18:13

Awful, prefer the current slim.

#22 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 14 July 2012 - 20:46

Posted Image

Posted Image

NOT official

#23 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 14 July 2012 - 20:57

Posted Image

Posted Image

NOT official

Damn, I hope that becomes "official".... Might have to upgrade... cause that design is slick!

#24 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:45

Cant say im a fan of that top loading bluray drive thou, other than that it does look awesome :)
Ill stick with my slim thou I think

#25 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:57

Just saw those pics on GAF.

The spy shots make it look awful, those photoshops make it look awesome.

If its not too expensive I might trade in my slim.

#26 Roxkis

Roxkis

Neowinian

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:04

The new ps3 looks so ugly to me. The fat ps3 looks so elegant and powerful. The slim and this ps3 look so cheap and just ugly.
I wish sony designers would put more though on making the ps3 look better laying down then standing up.

#27 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:29

More R&D, smaller hardware = more expensive hardware, etc. If this was true, laptops would be cheaper than desktops. Its not. Also, smaller cases are harder to cool and circulate. This is considering the idea of it being super slim.

I honestly couldn't care less so long as they are similar in size to the current "slim" consoles.

Not true, smaller are cheaper to manufacturer as less materials are used. Cooling isn't an issue if they use a die strink to a lower nm process as those run cooler, hence why consoles get slimmer. There is R&D costs associated in making the console smaller but they will carry on selling lots of ps3's so that will pay for itself.

#28 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:30

With PS4 one year away, this may seem kind of pointless. Unless, they don't plan to do BC on PS4 and want to keep selling PS3s past PS4 release.

How so? they released the first slim PS2 close to the release of the PS3 I believe. Furthermore, they released an even slimmer PS2 well into the life of the PS3 too!

Not everyone wants the latest and greatest (either by choice or financial circumstances) so having a cheaper alternative is always welcome :happy:

#29 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:31

Problem is the power supply, they could make the ps3 a lot smaller but then people would be complaining about a power brick.

#30 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:34

Problem is the power supply, they could make the ps3 a lot smaller but then people would be complaining about a power brick.

Not necessarily true. With the final iteration PS2 Slim, Sony managed to re-integrate the power brick back inside the console. So smaller doesn't automatically mean external power brick, although it doesn't rule out that possibility either.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!