New PlayStation 3 super slim? "Never say never," says Sony

The new ps3 looks so ugly to me. The fat ps3 looks so elegant and powerful. The slim and this ps3 look so cheap and just ugly.

I wish sony designers would put more though on making the ps3 look better laying down then standing up.

More R&D, smaller hardware = more expensive hardware, etc. If this was true, laptops would be cheaper than desktops. Its not. Also, smaller cases are harder to cool and circulate. This is considering the idea of it being super slim.

I honestly couldn't care less so long as they are similar in size to the current "slim" consoles.

Not true, smaller are cheaper to manufacturer as less materials are used. Cooling isn't an issue if they use a die strink to a lower nm process as those run cooler, hence why consoles get slimmer. There is R&D costs associated in making the console smaller but they will carry on selling lots of ps3's so that will pay for itself.

With PS4 one year away, this may seem kind of pointless. Unless, they don't plan to do BC on PS4 and want to keep selling PS3s past PS4 release.

How so? they released the first slim PS2 close to the release of the PS3 I believe. Furthermore, they released an even slimmer PS2 well into the life of the PS3 too!

Not everyone wants the latest and greatest (either by choice or financial circumstances) so having a cheaper alternative is always welcome :happy:

Problem is the power supply, they could make the ps3 a lot smaller but then people would be complaining about a power brick.

Problem is the power supply, they could make the ps3 a lot smaller but then people would be complaining about a power brick.

Not necessarily true. With the final iteration PS2 Slim, Sony managed to re-integrate the power brick back inside the console. So smaller doesn't automatically mean external power brick, although it doesn't rule out that possibility either.

If the slider is mechanical then hopefully there isn't any way to actually leave it open by mistake and on power down it would close, unless you cut the power to it. I think that design looks pretty nice and depending on how it looks in the plastic I may well swap out my current slim for one.

Not keen on the top design, looks weird, hopefully better in person

ZLi3q.jpg

We don't have the dimensions so your comparison is irrelevant, it could be much smaller than you have scaled it as.

If they were to release it, as mentioned, it would more than likely be roughly the same timeline as ps2 slim and ps3 launch. I have never given much attention to playstation releases, even less to "slim" models but nevertheless the design posted on the previous page looks very nice!

We don't have the dimensions so your comparison is irrelevant, it could be much smaller than you have scaled it as.

Um.

The connectors arent going to magically shrink, an easy way to scale something with the same ports is to resize it so the ports are exactly the same size, then the top view is scaled so the edges are in line with the bottom image.

Its a very plausible indication of how big its going to be.

Its a marketing trick, release a new smaller version and it will kick off a sales surge.

They did it with the previous consoles, the PS1 also got the slimmer PSOne, the PS2 got the PSTwo.

• 3 weeks later...

This is just Sony making it cheaper to produce their system, and you must remember they are still spouting that they want a 10 year life on the PS3. Also like what was said above they could release the PS4 and for awhile the PS3 will outsell it.

I know for me personally I never buy consoles at launch anymore. I wait two to three years to see what games come out, and then I decide on which system I'm choosing that generation. Like this time I initially chose the XBOX 360 but flipped sides after so much hardware problems.