iOS 6 Boring or Not?

Yes, unless you intend to purchase them all through your iOS device. iTunes has some pretty badass features when it comes to managing your iOS device from a computer. It beats the socks off what android has for this. So I don't know why people are so persistent in wanting an apple device but not wanting to use apple software that works with the device. iTunes for Windows is not half as bad as everyone moans and groans about. But whatever. If you are dead set on using apple products without using apple products then just Jailbreak your device and learn how to use SSH to get your content loaded from your computer.

Honestly, while I have an iPad, and don't consider any current pad a relevant competitor, the 3rd party content management through iTunes is probably the worst content management solution EVER. It's horrible. Ad even the plain folder drag and drop in android is better.

However. There is one exception to the rule you have to use iTunes. Stanza+calibre for ebooks.

It simply works. No hick ups, no issues, no crashes and stupid 3rd party useless apps running in the background without my permission (like Android) and that's all I care about.

It's a phone people, not a laptop.

It's not just a phone, it's the iPad. And I don't have useless 3rd party apps running in the background on my Nexus 7.... Seems you don't know what you're talking about.

I think it's going to be an excellent update, even if I decide to stay on the 4S.

There's so many tiny improvements that make a whole lot of different for me. Reminder/Notes improvements and syncing with iCloud (Notes require a me.com email which I don't want to create), no password nagging when updating apps, Do Not Disturb seems like a helpful feature at times, now a YouTube app that's going to be updated, Cantonese Siri (for Hong Kong where I am), it's the little things I guess. Now if iPhone 5 turns out to be attractive too that'll be magnificent.

Honestly, while I have an iPad, and don't consider any current pad a relevant competitor, the 3rd party content management through iTunes is probably the worst content management solution EVER. It's horrible. Ad even the plain folder drag and drop in android is better.

However. There is one exception to the rule you have to use iTunes. Stanza+calibre for ebooks.

What's so hard about dragging and dropping a file onto an app (such as GoodReader) in iTunes that makes it somehow inferior to dragging and dropping files in Android? Give me a break. Hell, you don't even have to connect an iOS device to your computer it will push the file over WiFi. Its very easy. The only people with problems with it have issues using computers in general.

There is a lot of non-objective hate when it comes to iTunes that is left over from 10 years ago when it came to the Windows platform. Complete iOS backup/restore features are boss in iTunes. But whatever, I'm not going to change your mind if you have already decided that iTunes is the most vial POS software ever conceived. So don't use it. I don't care. But I will stand up to the onslaught of FUD.

What's so hard about dragging and dropping a file onto an app (such as GoodReader) in iTunes that makes it somehow inferior to dragging and dropping files in Android? Give me a break. Hell, you don't even have to connect an iOS device to your computer it will push the file over WiFi. Its very easy. The only people with problems with it have issues using computers in general.

There is a lot of non-objective hate when it comes to iTunes that is left over from 10 years ago when it came to the Windows platform. Complete iOS backup/restore features are boss in iTunes. But whatever, I'm not going to change your mind if you have already decided that iTunes is the most vial POS software ever conceived. So don't use it. I don't care. But I will stand up to the onslaught of FUD.

As much as I think my iPhone is a totally competent device, iTunes simply isn't a good piece of software.

I never said it was the worst. But it's certainly not the best, or even terribly good. And iTunes on windows is as bad today as then. Scrolling a large library is still like scrolling an giant list of animated gifs on an old 386.

And drag dropping files into iTunes waiting for it to respond again, changing to anther app so I can drag into that. Yah that certainly just as fast and easy as say... Dragging all my ebooks, ecomics, audio books, movies and images directly onto the device, using the folder tree to drop right to the right place. Or may e something easier like airdroid.

The iTunes way works. But you have to be pretty far into the RDF to think its a good way, or the best way.

I'll agree the iOS doesn't get updates as fast as android and isn't always as flexible, but there seems to be a good balance. I think the operating system has come to a point, where I feel it has almost all of the necessary major features. Personally, I will always prefer iOS no matter how slow they are in updating. The price of the iPhone doesn't matter to me, when most of desktop mac software can sync with companion apps on iOS. . I will agree that Apple is slow to update their os, but for the time being, the applications matter the most to me and I?m certain that many mac devs such as Tapbots, iconfactory, panic, bjango, marketcircle etc. will never ever make mobile apps for android, WP8, or whatever. Apps like Tweetbot, Diet Coda, Jumsoft money, daylite, billings, Reeder, Skala Preview, Omni Focus. xScope, and tons of other quality software will never ever be found on other operating systems. Just go to dribbble.com and see the many designers mocking up apps for iOS and many of them do eventually get coded for iOS. I wasn?t exactly satisfied with iOS before, but with multitasking and other important aspects of the os, I?m now happy with it. Apple will eventually tweak/improve and add other important features to iOS, but the third party app support is way better than Android or WP8. I do not mean quantity wise, but I mean in terms of software quality. It's same for iPad apps when compared with android tablet apps. Furthermore, google's own apps are the probably the best on Android and sometimes I envy their iOS versions, but there are very few good third party apps in terms of good ui design and applications. Even Nexus 7 has a limited amount of good tablet optimized apps. This is the same case with Mac OS X and Windows, where I feel windows has a better taskbar and windows explorer (up until windows 7), but OS X has way better designed apps and there's more and better quality consumer oriented apps for things like photo editing, money management, music making, and others. Of course, gaming is better on windows. Furthermore, when I mean good apps, I do not always mean the overly skeumorphic designed apps. Not always a fan of that style, but it can be done well when subtly applied. WP8 and android are good, but I?m happy with iOS because it gets my job done and has the companion mobile apps for my mac applications.

Yes, unless you intend to purchase them all through your iOS device. iTunes has some pretty badass features when it comes to managing your iOS device from a computer. It beats the socks off what android has for this. So I don't know why people are so persistent in wanting an apple device but not wanting to use apple software that works with the device. iTunes for Windows is not half as bad as everyone moans and groans about. But whatever. If you are dead set on using apple products without using apple products then just Jailbreak your device and learn how to use SSH to get your content loaded from your computer.

Thanks for your complete answer. I have no problem using itunes. Just trying to get the complete picture. I am in afghanistan so I cannot go to an apple store until I go on leave..and I want to have all my information already had. Im on the market for a 10inch as I said before i have 2 7in tablets right now. Also getting Iphone5 when it comes out next month. Time for me to upgrade from my Droid. I upgrade every 2-3 years so this is exciting time for me. :D

Passbook could be one of the better features if embraced by merchadisers. One more step away from having to carry money and cards around.

Until you lose your phone!

Passbook could be one of the better features if embraced by merchadisers. One more step away from having to carry money and cards around.

How an OS is 'Boring' is beyond me. If people are that concerned with an OS, it shows the Devs didn't do enough to make it invisible to the user. Only the Apps and ability to get things done should matter.

Until you lose your phone! Until you lose your phone!

That would be equivalent to losing your wallet which is full of money+cards+personal info.

Until you lose your phone

Using a passcode reduces the risk of identity theft considerably. You can also do remote wipes and set the phone to erase all data after 10 unsuccessful passcode attempts.

Not putting a passcode on your phone is akin to leaving your wallet lying on a table at a bar and walking away from it. Irresponsible.

It's not just a phone, it's the iPad. And I don't have useless 3rd party apps running in the background on my Nexus 7.... Seems you don't know what you're talking about.

I had Android before. I do know what I am talking about. The Nexus is made by Google so it has no 3rd party apps, all other Android tablets from Samsung, Toshiba, Asus, etc - ALL - have 3rd party apps and garbage installed.

Thanks for your complete answer. I have no problem using itunes. Just trying to get the complete picture. I am in afghanistan so I cannot go to an apple store until I go on leave..and I want to have all my information already had. Im on the market for a 10inch as I said before i have 2 7in tablets right now. Also getting Iphone5 when it comes out next month. Time for me to upgrade from my Droid. I upgrade every 2-3 years so this is exciting time for me. :D

Lucky! I'm currently using my iPhone 4 on an off-contract pay-as-you-go provider (StraightTalk) so I don't know if my next phone will be an iPhone or not. We'll see. But I'm going to push my iPhone 4 for a 3rd year maybe even a 4th if the device still works. If I were still on a contracted provider, I would probably be upgrading to the iPhone 5 next month but I'm not so oh well.

In my opinion there's absolutely nothing exiting anymore about iOS. It still looks largely the same as did in the very beginning and tons of people have an iPhone around here. It's the primary reason I didn't get an iPhone but a Nokia Lumia instead. That said, I still very much like my new iPad. But it's nice to have some variation as far as my phone goes.

In my opinion there's absolutely nothing exiting anymore about iOS. It still looks largely the same as did in the very beginning and tons of people have an iPhone around here. It's the primary reason I didn't get an iPhone but a Nokia Lumia instead. That said, I still very much like my new iPad. But it's nice to have some variation as far as my phone goes.

.Neo - How well does your Lumia, iPad and Mac get along? I'm thinking that my next phone will probably be a Windows phone (I'm off-contract and new unlocked iPhones are really expensive). My primary concern is my music library, as I'm really liking iTunes Match.

If you lost your phone wouldn't you just remote wipe it from iCloud if it had data on there you didn't want anyone seeing? Also you can set a passcode on your phone..

There is absolutely nothing wrong with iOS. The only issue with it is that it is not as configurable as Android. If you could customize iOS the way you can Android, you would love it. Android has a lot of security flaws. Android gets viruses. I have yet to see an iPhone get a virus.

Android is NOT secure, iOS is and I rather have a secure, workable and stable phone, even if I'm limited to customization, than have an unsecured, unstable phone with an OS that is prone to virus infections and full of useless, garbage apps that do nothing for me except making it look good.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with iOS. The only issue with it is that it is not as configurable as Android. If you could customize iOS the way you can Android, you would love it. Android has a lot of security flaws. Android gets viruses. I have yet to see an iPhone get a virus.

Android is NOT secure, iOS is and I rather have a secure, workable and stable phone, even if I'm limited to customization, than have an unsecured, unstable phone with an OS that is prone to virus infections and full of useless, garbage apps that do nothing for me except making it look good.

Actually, iOS have quite a few security holes as well, and both android and iOS have had drive by viruses that can infect the device with no user interaction.

Actually, iOS have quite a few security holes as well, and both android and iOS have had drive by viruses that can infect the device with no user interaction.

There was one "drive by virus" that was a problem with Jailbroken phones that did not have SSH open but the root password was still the default. What viruses are you referring to?

• 2 weeks later...

NOT boring to me considering the fact that I have discovered a very serious Bug where events (Crashes) are showing up as Unknown Crash Type and Unknown Program that Crashed in XCode 4.5 Developer Preview 4!

P.S. I did file a Bug Report with Apple on the Issue, by the way.