Photo

iOS 6 Boring or Not?

ios6

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#16 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Phone: iPhone 5 (very cheap second hand)

Posted 12 June 2012 - 13:53

Since when an OS it's supposed to be "fun" or not to be "boring" :huh: honest question.

An OS, above all, must be functional.

#17 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2012 - 13:55

Where you guys hoping for strippers and a keg? It's a mobiles OS, how exciting can it get? From what I read, I am happy about it when it comes to the masses. Siri on iPad isa something I am looking forward to very much.

#18 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 12 June 2012 - 14:00

Question. I was going to install iOS6 on my iphone 4s last night but read on the apple site that you can not downgrade back to 5.1.1 if you want to, so I didn't install it.

Is this true? Can you not go back down to 5.1.1 if you dont like it or it gives you problems?

#19 what

what

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2012 - 14:00

Why would iOS need to be 'entertaining' when you have half a million apps to load onto your phone? :huh:

#20 OP joemailey

joemailey

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 June 2012 - 14:05

So no turn by turn navigation for iPhone 4 or iPad 2. Not surprising really, as during the key note siri read out the directions, which automatically made me think it wouldn't be available on devices without siri.

When Apple launches iOS 6 this fall, iPhone 4 users won't be able to use turn-by-turn directions or Flyover in the new Maps application, as that functionality is limited to the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and third-generation iPad.

#21 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 12 June 2012 - 14:08

I think it's pure gold.

#22 OP joemailey

joemailey

Neowinian

Posted 12 June 2012 - 14:09

Why would iOS need to be 'entertaining' when you have half a million apps to load onto your phone? :huh:

My main point was what else does it need? I can't think of anything. which makes me wonder why all the fan boys argue so much about the different OS's.
Surely iOS/Andriod and WP8 will all be hitting brick walls with what they do.

Apple sort of kick started the new OS side of things, when they released iOS, it forced everyone to focus more on touch OS's. But once they become developed to extent iOS is. What will come next? We're almost at the stage where updates just contain bug fixes and security fixes. As there isn't very many ground breaking features that can be added now.

#23 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 June 2012 - 14:10

I think it feels underwhelming because all previous versions have brought in some BIG features all of which are things that most users use EVERY DAY!

I'm sure people will appreciate this update over iOS5, but I too think there isn't much there; at least nothing that is near as significant as the features that came with previous versions.

#24 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Phone: iPhone 5 (very cheap second hand)

Posted 12 June 2012 - 14:12

I think it feels underwhelming because all previous versions have brought in some BIG features all of which are things that most users use EVERY DAY!

I'm sure people will appreciate this update over iOS5, but I too think there isn't much there; at least nothing that is near as significant as the features that came with previous versions.

Nothing significant for you at least. More languages for Siri it's a godsend for the rest of us in the world.

#25 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 12 June 2012 - 14:14

I don't expect to have a whole new OS with a lot of changes for my iPod Touch 4th generation. Specially if the upgrade is free. If iOS 6 is free then i don't see the problem. It's an update to the OS coming with my iPOd Touch 4. In fact i call this very good support.

I would expect the next big update to iOS to come with the new iPod Touch 5 and iPhone 5 sometime next year and not be avalaible to 4th generation of iPhone and iPod or be sold for people owning those devices.

#26 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2012 - 14:43

Nothing significant for you at least. More languages for Siri it's a godsend for the rest of us in the world.

I'm sure it is, but supporting more languages should be an incremental update thing not a major highlight of a new version IMO. But I currently have no Siri, so either way for me....

#27 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 12 June 2012 - 15:27

Definitely seems like a smaller incremental update rather than something that warrants a major version number increase. Not too impressed.

#28 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 June 2012 - 15:39

I was talking about this over Twitter last night. While the updates are 'nice', it's barely even worthy of a full incremental number update, i know numbers don't really mean much these days but iOS5.5 would of been more fitting... nothing has really changed. That being said, i've not used it yet.

iOS 5.5 would have been a great name! I want my widgets/live icons! *throws temper tantrum*

#29 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 12 June 2012 - 15:42

I think Apple might be playing it a little too safe with iOS

While I fully agree, and as a result see them as sort of "falling behind", they have the most elegant user experience and would be damned if they messed an update up now.

#30 funkydude

funkydude

Neowinian

Posted 12 June 2012 - 15:51

Where you guys hoping for strippers and a keg? It's a mobiles OS, how exciting can it get? From what I read, I am happy about it when it comes to the masses. Siri on iPad isa something I am looking forward to very much.

You'd imagine something like that from the 'worlds most advanced mobile operating system', no?