Likelyhood of the next xbox inculding a blu-ray drive?

For game texture artists compression is fairly tedious. uncompressed textures aren't used today, not even on blu-Ray PS3 games. the ram isn't there and since texture are getting bigger, won't be.

however textures get pre compressed by the artist to retain quality, which means each texture has to be compressed and checked by the artist. which is a tedious job. but it's not going away. Since it shrotens load time from disc, load time into memory and uses less memory (since graphics cards have supported compressed texture in memory for the last 10 years at least now)

If they want better graphics logic says they probably should. Unless they want to be stuck at badly upscaled 720p with low res textures on their next generation product you'd wager there would have to be some form of storage increase. Using cloud based storage is not a particularly compelling option given that it would increase load times significantly.

So it looks like this http://www.neowin.ne...0-roadmap-leaks puts a pretty big dent in anyone's argument who was saying there's no chance in hell Microsoft will be using Blu-Ray in the next Xbox :shifty:.

Sure, this is still not solid proof it will be in the next Xbox, but it's pretty clear they've included Blu-Ray in their plans.

So it looks like this http://www.neowin.ne...0-roadmap-leaks puts a pretty big dent in anyone's argument who was saying there's no chance in hell Microsoft will be using Blu-Ray in the next Xbox :shifty:.

Sure, this is still not solid proof it will be in the next Xbox, but it's pretty clear they've included Blu-Ray in their plans.

Gaf already debunked that leak, lol. It's as fake as they get.

Going back to cartridges, in each cart will be an small HDD, lol

You clearly haven't read any of the articles. To be fair, Neowin failed to highlight any of the concerns from multiple sources relating to the authenticity of the document; I am yet to find a source that has confirmed its authenticity.

(It's important to note that we haven't been able to prove the authenticity of this document, or source it directly to anyone inside Microsoft. We discuss whether the information in this document can be trusted further below.)

- http://arstechnica.c...x-720-for-2013/

That said, there's a lot to suggest that the system being described in this document is a little too good to be true. The feature list reads like the fevered hopes of every Microsoft fanboy, taking a kitchen-sink approach that includes every feature you could want in a home console and some you probably wouldn't (What is HSDPA doing in a console that lives in your living room?). Then there's the price: a $299 bundle with new Kinect hardware sounds crazy, even if Microsoft is willing to take a substantial loss on the hardware (which seems a bit unlikely, given that the document says the system should be profitable "every year of the lifecycle"). The technical wizards at Digital Foundry also point out that there are some questions about the feasibility of some of the low-power hardware being discussed.

And even if this document is the real deal, though, there's some question about how useful it is for predicting the future. There's a good chance Microsoft used this document as a sort of "wishlist" for the ideal "Xbox 720," with features hitting the cutting room floor as practicalities rear their ugly head during development. A lot can change in the nearly two years that have passed since mid-2010, as well, so some features discussed here may already be a thing of the past. Regardless, it's an incredible vision of what could be, and a great jumping off point for discussion of where the next generation of gaming hardware can and should go.

Gaf already debunked that leak, lol. It's as fake as they get.

Please, point me to where it's debunked. All I see is a bunch of heresay. There's just as much proof it's real as there is that it's fake.

You clearly haven't read any of the articles. To be fair, Neowin failed to highlight any of the concerns from multiple sources relating to the authenticity of the document; I am yet to find a source that has confirmed its authenticity.

(It's important to note that we haven't been able to prove the authenticity of this document, or source it directly to anyone inside Microsoft. We discuss whether the information in this document can be trusted further below.)

- http://arstechnica.c...x-720-for-2013/

I never said all the features in the document are exactly what is going to get released, I said Microsoft had Blu-Ray in their plans. If the doc is real, then my statement is true.

Yeah, so why is it that everytime we bring up using flash memory or basically going back to carts people bring up cost as an issue but we have the portables using them without issue? Why is it an ok and used option for devices like the 3Ds and the Vita but heaven forbid we use it for a full console? I can understand that full console games will need more space ofc but a dev is free to use as much memory as they need so costs could be different for different games in the end. Or just the shear volume of orders can bring the prices down, like we get with other products.

Yeah, so why is it that everytime we bring up using flash memory or basically going back to carts people bring up cost as an issue but we have the portables using them without issue? Why is it an ok and used option for devices like the 3Ds and the Vita but heaven forbid we use it for a full console? I can understand that full console games will need more space ofc but a dev is free to use as much memory as they need so costs could be different for different games in the end. Or just the shear volume of orders can bring the prices down, like we get with other products.

Remember that portables have Games that are far simpler for the same price as regular consoles, there's a significant markup on portables probably caused by the media. which is probably why sony tried with their failed disk format.

I think it will. The reason is because Microsoft wants their consoles to be the centre of all entertainment. Right now, blu ray is still one of the very appealing features of PS3s so if the next console had one, there'd be less reason for people to buy Sony hardware.

Yeah, so why is it that everytime we bring up using flash memory or basically going back to carts people bring up cost as an issue but we have the portables using them without issue? Why is it an ok and used option for devices like the 3Ds and the Vita but heaven forbid we use it for a full console?

The Vita uses 4Gb flash cards, you would need at least 32Gb for home console, it would put a significant markup on the cost of the game.

What would be the alternate for a handheld? A disc? Like UMDs that everyone disliked? Carts are the obvious, and perhaps only, choice for handhelds.

The Vita uses 4Gb flash cards, you would need at least 32Gb for home console, it would put a significant markup on the cost of the game.

Sure, but volume orders for the chips should bring the costs down. MS could make a deal with the right chip maker and get a good price for devs to use.

What would be the alternate for a handheld? A disc? Like UMDs that everyone disliked? Carts are the obvious, and perhaps only, choice for handhelds.

I'm not talking about portables using something else though, that's not my point. I'm saying that they've been using flash as a media without issue all these times. Besides that is flash memory, as a few have pointed out the console games could just be on ROM which could be cheaper between the two.

Remember that portables have Games that are far simpler for the same price as regular consoles, there's a significant markup on portables probably caused by the media. which is probably why sony tried with their failed disk format.

3DS games retail for $39.99 or less (with select 1st party titles at $49.99). That's certainly not the "same price". I don't know about the Vita, though.

Sure, but volume orders for the chips should bring the costs down. MS could make a deal with the right chip maker and get a good price for devs to use.

And the volume orders of Blu Rays would be even cheaper. This is MS we're talking about, if anyone is going to drive costs down to the cents it's them.

3DS games retail for $39.99 or less (with select 1st party titles at $49.99). That's certainly not the "same price". I don't know about the Vita, though.

A lot of console titles can be had for that or less. console titles that had far hgiher graphics and longer games than their handheld counterparts.

A lot of console titles can be had for that or less. console titles that had far hgiher graphics and longer games than their handheld counterparts.

Yeah, after they've been out for 1-2 years.

Yeah, after they've been out for 1-2 years.

More like launch day, the only game(s) that never fall in price or launch and lower prices is the MW crap.

More like launch day, the only game(s) that never fall in price or launch and lower prices is the MW crap.

You are greatly exaggerating things. Games don't drop in price on launch day, please try and make a point that's realistic. Most games don't drop in price until at least 6-12 months after their release (12 months if they are doing well).

You are greatly exaggerating things. Games don't drop in price on launch day, please try and make a point that's realistic. Most games don't drop in price until at least 6-12 months after their release (12 months if they are doing well).

actually many games have launch day prices that are 1/4 to 1/3 off. generally on the bigger chains to encourage people to come to the store. so no I'm not. either way, the point is that handheld games are far more expensive for what you get in game time and graphics and art work than their console counterparts.

In the UK you can regularly find new release console games for under ?35 sometimes closer to ?30, all the retailers have a price war trying to undercut each other.

In the UK you can regularly find new release console games for under ?35 sometimes closer to ?30, all the retailers have a price war trying to undercut each other.

Sales for games here is more along the lines of 2-3 months post release. But that isn't the retail price. That's a sale/promotional offer. Not the same thing. Just like you can get DVD's at Target here for $16 on the first week of their release. Doesn't change the fact they actually retail for $19.99.