Photo

Likelyhood of the next xbox inculding a blu-ray drive?

blu-ray format war microsft xbox next gen

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#166 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• Phone: HTC One M8

Posted 16 June 2012 - 22:21

Remember that portables have Games that are far simpler for the same price as regular consoles, there's a significant markup on portables probably caused by the media. which is probably why sony tried with their failed disk format.

3DS games retail for $39.99 or less (with select 1st party titles at $49.99). That's certainly not the "same price". I don't know about the Vita, though.

#167 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 16 June 2012 - 22:41

Sure, but volume orders for the chips should bring the costs down. MS could make a deal with the right chip maker and get a good price for devs to use.

And the volume orders of Blu Rays would be even cheaper. This is MS we're talking about, if anyone is going to drive costs down to the cents it's them.

#168 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 16 June 2012 - 23:02

3DS games retail for $39.99 or less (with select 1st party titles at $49.99). That's certainly not the "same price". I don't know about the Vita, though.

A lot of console titles can be had for that or less. console titles that had far hgiher graphics and longer games than their handheld counterparts.

#169 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

Posted 16 June 2012 - 23:46

A lot of console titles can be had for that or less. console titles that had far hgiher graphics and longer games than their handheld counterparts.

Yeah, after they've been out for 1-2 years.

#170 S00N3R FR3AK

S00N3R FR3AK

Champion

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:03

50/50 MS likes the cloud so I could see it going either way.

#171 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:00

Yeah, after they've been out for 1-2 years.

More like launch day, the only game(s) that never fall in price or launch and lower prices is the MW crap.

#172 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

Posted 17 June 2012 - 18:07

More like launch day, the only game(s) that never fall in price or launch and lower prices is the MW crap.

You are greatly exaggerating things. Games don't drop in price on launch day, please try and make a point that's realistic. Most games don't drop in price until at least 6-12 months after their release (12 months if they are doing well).

#173 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 June 2012 - 19:03

You are greatly exaggerating things. Games don't drop in price on launch day, please try and make a point that's realistic. Most games don't drop in price until at least 6-12 months after their release (12 months if they are doing well).

actually many games have launch day prices that are 1/4 to 1/3 off. generally on the bigger chains to encourage people to come to the store. so no I'm not. either way, the point is that handheld games are far more expensive for what you get in game time and graphics and art work than their console counterparts.

#174 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 June 2012 - 19:06

In the UK you can regularly find new release console games for under £35 sometimes closer to £30, all the retailers have a price war trying to undercut each other.

#175 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

Posted 17 June 2012 - 19:25

In the UK you can regularly find new release console games for under £35 sometimes closer to £30, all the retailers have a price war trying to undercut each other.

Sales for games here is more along the lines of 2-3 months post release. But that isn't the retail price. That's a sale/promotional offer. Not the same thing. Just like you can get DVD's at Target here for $16 on the first week of their release. Doesn't change the fact they actually retail for $19.99.

#176 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 June 2012 - 19:34

http://www.gamestop....o-bros-2/101480

NSMB2 a game that relatively cheap to make compared to console games 39.99

now Halo4, AC3 and ms other xbox premorders are generally in the range of 59. for games that cost probably up to 100 times more to make, that makes them eithr veyr cheap or the 3ds game very expensive.

and looking at the full pre order listfor the 3DS there's a some even up to 54 O_O

#177 McKay

McKay

Worth the weight

• Phone: Nexus 6

Posted 17 June 2012 - 19:46

http://kotaku.com/36...ve-enough-space - Blu Ray isn't big enough.

MGS4 is actually 36GB, he was just trying to impress fans. As for Blu-Ray in gaming? I think it's a must for Xbox. Sharp have managed to produce a Blu-Ray player than can read a 100GB Blu-Ray disk. Now that would be pretty future proof, of course Gaming companies could still have choices between a 25GB, 50GB or 100GB disk.

#178 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

Posted 17 June 2012 - 19:54

http://www.gamestop....o-bros-2/101480

NSMB2 a game that relatively cheap to make compared to console games 39.99

now Halo4, AC3 and ms other xbox premorders are generally in the range of 59. for games that cost probably up to 100 times more to make, that makes them eithr veyr cheap or the 3ds game very expensive.

and looking at the full pre order listfor the 3DS there's a some even up to 54 O_O

PS3 and 360 almost ALL retail for $59.99 (even crappy movie games: http://www.gamestop....attleship/98957 ). And that's still a $20 difference, which is a LOT.

MGS4 is actually 36GB, he was just trying to impress fans. As for Blu-Ray in gaming? I think it's a must for Xbox. Sharp have managed to produce a Blu-Ray player than can read a 100GB Blu-Ray disk. Now that would be pretty future proof, of course Gaming companies could still have choices between a 25GB, 50GB or 100GB disk.

Good point. I still feel, however, that a solid state media would have many obvious benefits over a disk even if its not sheer storage space. As I said, read speed is faster which makes for better load times, less prone to failure and allow for slimmer platforms. It also prevents MS from having to license Blu-Ray from Sony. I just enjoy the idea of being able to come back to my Xbox 720 in 10 years later and knowing all my games, if I have any of them still, will still work. Currently if I pulled out my old Xbox games and tried to play them I doubt half of them would be in a condition to be played merely from sitting in boxes that have moved many times. That is the nature of disc media.

#179 OP compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 17 June 2012 - 20:51

I just enjoy the idea of being able to come back to my Xbox 720 in 10 years later and knowing all my games, if I have any of them still, will still work. Currently if I pulled out my old Xbox games and tried to play them I doubt half of them would be in a condition to be played merely from sitting in boxes that have moved many times. That is the nature of disc media.

I have old PS1 games and demo discs that still work. If you keep them in good condition, they'll last a long time.

#180 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 June 2012 - 21:01

PS3 and 360 almost ALL retail for $59.99 (even crappy movie games: http://www.gamestop....attleship/98957 ). And that's still a $20 difference, which is a LOT.

failed to get the point completely didn't you.

yes they are cheaper. eexcept in real stores these are rarely the prices console games release for, hand held games however rarely get below rrp. anyway, the pount is that a game that costs 50-100 times lss tomake should also have a similar price drop to consumer not a 25% difference,on a good day.